Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
My attitude re Shane Wright trade is that it would not have occurred had Windsor not have Wyatt Johnston graduate a year early,Zito asking out of Windsor because of issues with Savard and forwards Ryan Abraham and AJ Spellacy injured for the season around trade deadline,Windsor was in 1st and Bowler went for it,a move I supported then and now to this day,hindsight is always 20/20.
Windsor still didn't play defense which matters crunch time..

That was one trade I am glad the Petes did not make. My understanding was that Peterborough was one of the teams on his list, as he wanted to play with Brennan Othmann. Owen Beck and Avery Hayes were far better choices than him.
Most gms r probably thankful.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I guess you could ask if Windsor wins the conference without Wright. In that case, do they get past the Rangers in the first round? It's all a guessing game but, if you had a chance to get a guy like Wright with that offer... it's hard to pass up. Miedema was struggling to find consistency, McCarthy was a long-shot who didn't report to the O, two of the picks were 2023, but the rest were future which Bowler could easily get back (and did).

I said back then that if Windsor had gone to the Conf. final, at least, we wouldn't complain about the Wright deal... and, to an extent, I still believe that. Take away his injury time (which was partially on Seattle) and you've got a 2 point-per-game player who was professional, polite to everyone, and seemed to take the entire thing in stride. That's kind of the ideal situation.

Bowler's the exact opposite of Rychel in terms of being outspoken and such but he's definitely learned some creativity.

On a slightly more current note - I'd imagine training camp info will be released in the next few days. They tend to change things up every year so I'm curious to what will happen this time around.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I guess you could ask if Windsor wins the conference without Wright. In that case, do they get past the Rangers in the first round? It's all a guessing game but, if you had a chance to get a guy like Wright with that offer... it's hard to pass up. Miedema was struggling to find consistency, McCarthy was a long-shot who didn't report to the O, two of the picks were 2023, but the rest were future which Bowler could easily get back (and did).

I said back then that if Windsor had gone to the Conf. final, at least, we wouldn't complain about the Wright deal... and, to an extent, I still believe that. Take away his injury time (which was partially on Seattle) and you've got a 2 point-per-game player who was professional, polite to everyone, and seemed to take the entire thing in stride. That's kind of the ideal situation.

Bowler's the exact opposite of Rychel in terms of being outspoken and such but he's definitely learned some creativity.

On a slightly more current note - I'd imagine training camp info will be released in the next few days. They tend to change things up every year so I'm curious to what will happen this time around.
Defense wasn't there.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

However if Windsor used the assets they traded to get Shane Wright to trade for Owen Beck instead they would have had a player that contending teams need to be successful. A player who was among the top players on face offs, plays a 200 foot game and provided timely offence. I think the Spitfires would have fared better in the playoffs if they had, had Beck.

Reactions: Teflon

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
However if Windsor used the assets they traded to get Shane Wright to trade for Owen Beck instead they would have had a player that contending teams need to be successful. A player who was among the top players on face offs, a played a 200 foot game and provided timely offence. I think the Spitfires would have fared better in the playoffs.

One player wouldn't have changed the Kitchener series. That was a mess from top-to-bottom. Plus, the Rangers played like a top seed and deserved credit as well.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
One player wouldn't have changed the Kitchener series. That was a mess from top-to-bottom. Plus, the Rangers played like a top seed and deserved credit as well.
1 team played defense.
Other team didn't.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
That was one trade I am glad the Petes did not make. My understanding was that Peterborough was one of the teams on his list, as he wanted to play with Brennan Othmann. Owen Beck and Avery Hayes were far better choices than him.
he would not have gone there

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

Re training camp been told it will be Aug 29,30,31, Thursday to Saturday will Blue and White game on Saturday, wasn't given times however expect them soon.

Reactions: OHLTG

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Looks like multiple deals being made in the OHL as per twitter/X. So far no word from the Spitties .Odds are at this stage we have a few offers on the table but we’re probably waiting to get a vet D on the cheap once the others are done.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
He definitely is overrated, I think most, if not all fans can agree on that.

But looking back on that trade, Windsor traded Miedema (who most of us didn’t like, anyway) one second, one third and two fourths and a flyer who never mattered. Was a solid deal for the best player on the market that year, even if he was useless come playoff time.
Meidema’s 200 games into his OHL Career, and yet to have a 20 goal season. Not to mention the bulk of extra playoff games his rookie year, surrounded by top tier players (See OHL Championship going 7 games).

Best thing about Meidema so far, is his durability and ability to stay healthy and play 60+ games a season. As an 05’, if I’m Kingston, my best hope for him is to have a great season so he’ll hold some OA value to a contender next year…

McCarthy never played an OHL Game, and never will.

Wright didn’t pan out, but it was a good trade. Who’s going to bring up Pitre now lol.

Harrison was his worst move IMO. And on paper it wasn’t THAT bad. Injuries, and limited production outside of a couple streaky games.

Before we get into the Pitre conversation… NO ONE CARED when we moved him. Hindsight is always 20/20, no one thought that kid would do what he did, even Flint.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Camp details out...

Thurs Aug 29 - afternoon practices
Fri Aug 30 - Morning and afternoon games
Sat Aug 30 - Morning games and 4pm blue-white.

Preliminary rosters posted on the Spitfires' site.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Meidema’s 200 games into his OHL Career, and yet to have a 20 goal season. Not to mention the bulk of extra playoff games his rookie year, surrounded by top tier players (See OHL Championship going 7 games).

Best thing about Meidema so far, is his durability and ability to stay healthy and play 60+ games a season. As an 05’, if I’m Kingston, my best hope for him is to have a great season so he’ll hold some OA value to a contender next year…

McCarthy never played an OHL Game, and never will.

Wright didn’t pan out, but it was a good trade. Who’s going to bring up Pitre now lol.

Harrison was his worst move IMO. And on paper it wasn’t THAT bad. Injuries, and limited production outside of a couple streaky games.

Before we get into the Pitre conversation… NO ONE CARED when we moved him. Hindsight is always 20/20, no one thought that kid would do what he did, even Flint.
I hated the process. I hated that they signed birkett before camp as a 13th round pick with zero leverage. they didn’t need to. He wasn’t that good. It set the tone to the Pitre group that he wasn’t wanted.

I said that at the time.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Harrison cost us better picks in the near future while Wright was Miedema and generally later picks. I know that people talk about the Wright move but Harrison's was just as costly, if not more.
Both moves weren't good

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Camp details out...

Thurs Aug 29 - afternoon practices
Fri Aug 30 - Morning and afternoon games
Sat Aug 30 - Morning games and 4pm blue-white.

Preliminary rosters posted on the Spitfires' site.
Other things I noticed pertaining to the overall camp roster listed is of the 20 players Windsor has added since the end of last season 3 are not attending,all 3 are Dmen drafted in the regular draft,Andrew Robinson,Sam Wathier and Drake Gram,12 others from that draft are coming,as well just 1 of the 11 players drafted in the regular draft last year won't be here and that is Center Easton Pace who is committed to Colarado College,was at rookie camp last year but did not attend main camp.
Goalies Tre Altiman (19) and Paoblo Frasca(18) will not be at camp this year.
Finally only 3 players from 2021 draft ,19 year olds-05 will be at camp,Ethan Martin,Jack Greenwell and dman Tanner Winegard.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
The price for Smith was only a 4th round pick. Cheap at the time. He had 13 goals in 41 games with the Knights and had 22 goals 47 pts year 2 with the Spits. When he plays with effort he is a good asset. Problem is that was 1 out of every 4 games. Multiple points and then bust for 3 games. Not sure as to his consistency problem other than maybe a lot of stress and pressure to play hockey when maybe that is not his end all be all interest???

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
The price for Smith was only a 4th round pick. Cheap at the time. He had 13 goals in 41 games with the Knights and had 22 goals 47 pts year 2 with the Spits. When he plays with effort he is a good asset. Problem is that was 1 out of every 4 games. Multiple points and then bust for 3 games. Not sure as to his consistency problem other than maybe a lot of stress and pressure to play hockey when maybe that is not his end all be all interest???
Trade didn't work out
Looked more like a favor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad