Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com please DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I'm not dodging anything. There was clearly some shock to his system but, once he stepped back to evaluate, he knew this was a chance to show something. Otherwise, he wouldn't have waived his NTC. I swear, I remember a player in the last couple of seasons who was told of a trade to Windsor but refused. Someone older... might have been from a Western Conf team, too? Anyway... I posted the quotes to show his reaction to being traded here. Whether people want to believe him or not is up to them.

I get that situations happen where a kid will say "I'm happy to be going to (team)", but inside is devastated. That's understandable. However, that doesn't mean every trade is like that. If you know that the Mathurin is not happy to be coming here and this is all a facade, please, tell us. Otherwise, I'm going by what he's said in the paper. That's what I have right now.
i use to listen to bob mccown all the time, he would always say that he never had athletes on because they where trained to always say the most bland thing and not tell the truth.

thats my only point, id doesnt matter if a player loves the trade, hates the trade, doesnt care, the quote will always be the same and it will always be a cut and paste 'im excited ot get started' type of message.

dont use it as a measurement of anything, because athletes are trained at a young age never to tell the truth, always say the right things and not to ruffle feathers, even if they want to.

i have no doubt that matherin is looking forward to it, but the next one may not. ive seen it first hand, kids not wanting to be traded but the teams website that he got traded to making up quotes about how much they are looking forward to it.

Reactions: punch1943

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
He is from the Toronto area. He is probably excited to be in a bigger city where he can get more exposure. Windsor, being across the river from an NHL has its advantages.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
He is from the Toronto area. He is probably excited to be in a bigger city where he can get more exposure. Windsor, being across the river from an NHL has its advantages.
Well, the Wings drafted him, passed on signing him and now he’s attending Chicago’s camp so I don’t know if there’s really much advantage for him. There certainly would be for both sides if he was still Detroit property though.

Reactions: rve24

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Well, the Wings drafted him, passed on signing him and now he’s attending Chicago’s camp so I don’t know if there’s really much advantage for him. There certainly would be for both sides if he was still Detroit property though.
Maybe US NHL scouts only venture to Canadian border cities Windsor, Sarnia n Niagara?
Edit (not a dig at yourself Tomschman as others have suggested it previous. Appreciate your posts)

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Maybe US NHL scouts only venture to Canadian border cities Windsor, Sarnia n Niagara?
Edit (not a dig at yourself Tomschman as others have suggested it previous. Appreciate your posts)

Thursday night in NB has been a draw for NHL scouts the past couple of years.

OHL 17

Nov 8, 2018
Windsor, On
Unfortunately, the Spits don't play nearly as many games on Thursday (extremely disappointing to fans), so can't be a regular destination for the scouts.

Reactions: Teflon

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Nhl scouts find players simple as that. If theres a glimmer they will see you.

I was being sarcastic in my post. I've heard a few times the adv border city may have.
I'd even dare to imagine US NHL teams employ scouts that live in Canada. ;)
Some teams n areas do get more scouts to games, though its not based on the border.

Reactions: Teflon

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
This was in the Windsor Star

“(The Red Wings) were telling me, ‘We love you, but we haven’t seen you play enough,’” said Mathurin, who has already accepted an invitation to main camp with the NHL’s Chicago Blackhawks next month. “They said they weren’t going to take their eyes off of me.”

Obviously Red Wing scouts don't know where North Bay is.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR

“(The Red Wings) were telling me, ‘We love you, but we haven’t seen you play enough,’” said Mathurin, who has already accepted an invitation to main camp with the NHL’s Chicago Blackhawks next month. “They said they weren’t going to take their eyes off of me.”

Lol. For sure the Kid will have more eyes on him here. Scouts hit the US NDPT across the border in Plymouth constantly and can hit WIndsor, Sarnia, London, Flint and Saginaw all within a 2 hour drive. Especially with all windsors young talent coming in this year.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

he was hurt all the time is what they are getting at

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
he was hurt all the time is what they are getting at
Not true. He was drafted in the 22 draft, therefore he his rights expired after the 2023 - 2024 season. He was hurt in the 2022 - 2023 season and played only 1 regular season game and 11 playoff games. In 2023 - 2024, he played 51 regular season games and 16 playoff games. It seems to me they had ample time to see him.

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
It’s very obvious that missing his rookie year to the pandemic and the following season due to shoulder surgery impacted development in a material way. He also missed games last season due to a shoulder dislocation and played through pain the entire season. Progression all but impossible under the circumstances.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Not true. He was drafted in the 22 draft, therefore he his rights expired after the 2023 - 2024 season. He was hurt in the 2022 - 2023 season and played only 1 regular season game and 11 playoff games. In 2023 - 2024, he played 51 regular season games and 16 playoff games. It seems to me they had ample time to see him.
he only played half of the games he could have, and injuries have always been a factor. that’s literally what they are saying, they are worried he can’t stay healthy for long stretches

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

OHL 17

Nov 8, 2018
Windsor, On
he only played half of the games he could have, and injuries have always been a factor. that’s literally what they are saying, they are worried he can’t stay healthy for long stretches
Taking the chance should benefit Chrisoforo...thus the whole team

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
This is his opportunity to show that, not only is he back to full health, but he can help this club get back on track.
I think the point is the injury concerns matter. Your best ability is your availability. Look at Andrew Gibson played 6 games in 2022. Played 45 in 2023 and got drafted 2nd rd. Comes back in 2024 plays a full schedule and signed late April.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Honestly not sure what the big issue is over this acquisition. Bowler picked up a potentially great OA at a reasonable cost. Liklely his history with injury led to the reasonable price to acquire him compared to other recent trades in the league for OA'S. The risk is fine considering this is not a championship run season.

Kristina Hazzard

Oct 5, 2021
I think the point is the injury concerns matter. Your best ability is your availability. Look at Andrew Gibson played 6 games in 2022. Played 45 in 2023 and got drafted 2nd rd. Comes back in 2024 plays a full schedule and signed late April.
Gibson played in nojhl in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad