Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
If he was pissed of about the trade, he wouldn't have accepted it. Right now, he "seems" to be looking forward to it, so we'll see how it plays out.
he woudlnt have a no trade but your missing the main point, and i think on purpose, but when was the last time you saw anything other then 'all is great' in a pr release?

Reactions: windsor7

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I wish the league would reduce the entry draft to 8-10 rounds max so fringe players can be free agents and maybe reduce the current ridiculous cost of overpaying. If teams only have 1-2 2nds or 3rds that will become the new price.

Advantage London, remember their FAs prior to U18 draft? I suppose 10 rounds and 5 rounds for U18 would be ok.

Reactions: Cherrydon

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
he woudlnt have a no trade but your missing the main point, and i think on purpose, but when was the last time you saw anything other then 'all is great' in a pr release?

According to the Windsor Star, he had a no-trade clause and waived it to come here. I get your point but maybe he actually is happy to be here.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
According to the Windsor Star, he had a no-trade clause and waived it to come here. I get your point but maybe he actually is happy to be here.

so if you get my point, why keep doing it when trades and signings happen? we went back and forth earlier this year about it and you conceded then, and here we are doing it over again.

its like in pittsburgh, do you think they are going to say 'well, we are going to try but we really dont see us making the playoffs this year', or do you think they will say 'we believe we can win the stanley cup, thats our goal every year'

of course they will say the second part, but they believe the first part. so why take anything anyone says publically to heart? its all pr speak.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Well good move/bad move that can be judged in April. But it was a move Bowler had to make considering the state of the defensive core. If he stays healthy and they don't move him again in January it does , for me, lean to the positive side.

I'm also glad Bowler has declared that these are the 3 OA's he is going with. Makes everything clearer for the rest involved.
And lastly I'm not really sure he is done. There might be a pure hockey trade in there somewhere to help with the D group? Carry on.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
so if you get my point, why keep doing it when trades and signings happen? we went back and forth earlier this year about it and you conceded then, and here we are doing it over again.

its like in pittsburgh, do you think they are going to say 'well, we are going to try but we really dont see us making the playoffs this year', or do you think they will say 'we believe we can win the stanley cup, thats our goal every year'

of course they will say the second part, but they believe the first part. so why take anything anyone says publically to heart? its all pr speak.
Right. You get canned responses. A great example was when the Spits brought back Zito. He was interviewed between periods in a game and talked about how happy he was and he wanted to be back with the Spits. A week later he was gone.

Every GM thinks they had a good draft.

Happy with the move but none of the other stuff matters other than performing on the ice.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Right. You get canned responses. A great example was when the Spits brought back Zito. He was interviewed between periods in a game and talked about how happy he was and he wanted to be back with the Spits. A week later he was gone.

Every GM thinks they had a good draft.

Happy with the move but none of the other stuff matters other than performing on the ice.
i forgot about zito thats a good point. his public comments where one thing but he didnt make it other then a few games. he wasnt going to say if he was or was not struggling mentally in a pr release, so why use it at all?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
One more add on. The last time Spitfire related a player was angry and not wanting to be here was when the Spits traded for Paul Mara. He wasn't going to report and was traded to Plymouth for pennies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Makes everything clearer for the rest involved.
And lastly I'm not really sure he is done. There might be a pure hockey trade in there somewhere to help with the D group? Carry on.

Has anyone talked about Colton Smith's next move? He's been listed as an option but... school? trade? Moving on with life? I haven't heard a peep. Then, for Bowler to say today's trade gives us the OAs to start the season, I wonder...

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Has anyone talked about Colton Smith's next move? He's been listed as an option but... school? trade? Moving on with life? I haven't heard a peep. Then, for Bowler to say today's trade gives us the OAs to start the season, I wonder...
i believe he was on waivers earlier in the summer, but dont quote me.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Really shouldn't of been traded to Windsor.
Looked more of a favor then anything..

Neither of these surprise me (or would surprise me). Hopefully something is said before camp.
Doubt it.
Bowler starts talking now...

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Looks as if BB has added to the D for a reasonable price. It’s early and you can expect a few more moves will be made to solidify the team before all is said and done. Some moves will get a meh …some hopefully a Wowzer. Just need to be patient.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Im gonna say he ok with coming here as he lifted his trade clause. The biggest question is his health. I like the deal, like it better if hes healthy all year.
of course he’s fine with it, it’s more so silly to take every quote in the website as legit when everyone knows it’s not how it works. websites are for selling tickets not hard news.

if there’s a quote saying how all the players are super excited to play for Greg Walters do we just accept it, no because no player is going to say the truth on a team website, and even if they said something negative they wouldn’t publish it. so what’s the point in quoting in?

Reactions: windsor7

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Looks as if BB has added to the D for a reasonable price. It’s early and you can expect a few more moves will be made to solidify the team before all is said and done. Some moves will get a meh …some hopefully a Wowzer. Just need to be patient.
Agreed about the reasonable price especially considering prior to deal completed Windsor had 3-2nd round picks SSM,Kitchener Brantfords,and moved the one Brantfords which I expect will be later then having dealt the Kitchener or Saults pick,plus they still have their 3rd rd pick, along with of course their 1st.
In 2026 they currently have 1st,2nd,2-3rds,and a 4th(Ottawa).
And in 2027 they currently have ,1st,2-2nds and 2-4ths.
Bowler after going for it prior to this past season back to back years replenished the shelves masterfully and I feel benefits will happen moving forward.
In other words short term pain,long term gain.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Agreed about the reasonable price especially considering prior to deal completed Windsor had 3-2nd round picks SSM,Kitchener Brantfords,and moved the one Brantfords which I expect will be later then having dealt the Kitchener or Saults pick,plus they still have their 3rd rd pick, along with of course their 1st.
Bowler after going for it prior to this past season back to back years replenished the shelves masterfully and I feel benefits will happen moving forward.
Untill the word "rebuild " is stated again..

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
"Masterfully"? Guess the bar is low. They have 1 extra 2nd now and an extra 4th? Others have added far more 2nds,3rds n 4ths or youth after going for it 2 years previously and didn't also say we won't have the big swings like BB said and then abandoned the plan.
No need for the hyperbole when it isn't true.
He did good, got picks back, added a couple more, agreed but masterful........not compared to some other teams that went for it and had the cupboards overflowing.
Heck some teams have added an extra couple 2nds over a year or 2 without going for it previously lol.
My biggest issue would be abandoning the plan sold to fans. But I don't disagree that after not adding big and losing out on a championship potentially he flipped gears ( something u said was a failure of other teams ;)).
Different bar for you I guess than league wide. It's all good.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
"Masterfully"? Guess the bar is low. They have 1 extra 2nd now and an extra 4th? Others have added far more 2nds,3rds n 4ths or youth after going for it 2 years previously and didn't also say we won't have the big swings like BB said and then abandoned the plan.
He did good, got picks back, added a couple more, agreed but masterful........not compared to some other teams that went for it and had the cupboards overflowing.
Heck some teams have added an extra couple 2nds over a year or 2 without going for it previously lol.
My biggest issue would be abandoning the plan sold to fans. But I don't disagree that after not adding big and losing out on a championship potentially he flipped gears ( something u said was a failure of other teams ;)).
That's fair. Recouping picks after a failed prior year and going in the tank is doing your job. What happens afterward matters. For instance Kitchener just went out even before camp opens and traded their most valuable asset. Last year Bowler wanted to see if he could do both and well we saw what happened.

I guess the best way to pose it would be if the Spits were to be average be an 8th seed or so. Going into the 25-26 year would Bowler ever entertain moving Greentree or Spellacy before the season?

Reactions: rve24

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Bowler's done a solid job in recovering the picks. I'm not sure I'd call it "masterful" right now but it's a solid step in the right direction. Now, he needs the 2024 draft and Import draft to pan out. He got the assets, he used the assets, but they're only good if they become what you need down the road.

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
The benefit of having ownership with hockey connections. The distinction between the Boughner era and the current group.

Anyone here know what the billets get paid to keep players?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Always different..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad