Around the League Thread | Ixnay on Zerplanyay

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
They were obviously never going to match the absurd AAV on Broberg but I’m surprised they’re walking on Holloway who had a fine playoffs and looks to be developing into a really solid, two-way, physical middle-6 forward.
that's probably why Armstrong sweetened the offer this morning with an extra 3rd and Paul Fischer.

2x 3rd round + Paul Fischer for Holloway is fair IMO

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Daily Faceoff commentator Matt Larkin
The Edmonton Oilers were already the oldest team in the NHL by average age before having Broberg and Holloway poached. Per Elite Prospects, they sit at 30.27, the only team with an average age above 30. They are the definition of all-in at this point.

Reactions: supercanuck

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Touched a nerve, Mak'aan Shufflebottom?

Ha, I have a very generic first name that I’m quite happy with.

My surname has a more common alternate spelling so I have to spell it out literally every time I have a phone call about anything. My parents also gave me 2 middle names which is a huge pain in the ass when filling out any document. So yeah, I was aware of not doing anything weird when naming our kids.

We have a few friends who went deep into bizarro land when naming kids and I really feel for those kids.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Daily Faceoff commentator Matt Larkin
The Edmonton Oilers were already the oldest team in the NHL by average age before having Broberg and Holloway poached. Per Elite Prospects, they sit at 30.27, the only team with an average age above 30. They are the definition of all-in at this point.
it's a bid misleading though as the only "old" core piece is Ekholm. Henrique, Perry and Ryan skew the average age results.

If they're "all in" it's more contract related than anything IMO.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

My surname has a more common alternate spelling so I have to spell it out literally every time I have a phone call about anything. My parents also gave me 2 middle names which is a huge pain in the ass when filling out any document. So yeah, I was aware of not doing anything weird when naming our kids.

We have a few friends who went deep into bizarro land when naming kids and I really feel for those kids.

You are either Latino or Filipino. My buddy has 2 middle names in addition to a hyphenated last name.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
What does the Oilers d core and cap look like now?

They have 975Kish in cap now, with 13 forwards and 7 defense. Kane could be put on LTIR for more if needed, just makes it super tricky to get under if he comes back in-season.

Defensively:
Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Emberson
Kulak-Brown/Stetcher

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

With names, there are some that sound old, while others sound like a kid. Cody/Cory for boys sounds young, not sure that ages well for a 30 year old. Same with Tiffany/Brittany for girls. And older sounding names like Walter/Esther might not sound as good for someone younger.

I hope those parents at least gave the kid a decent middle name that they could then go by later in life. If you are going to do something interesting, maybe keep that as a middle name and is used between you and the kid.

Reactions: MS

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You are either Latino or Filipino. My buddy has 2 middle names in addition to a hyphenated last name.

Nope, I’m about the whitest white guy that ever white guyed.

I had two great-grandfathers in their 90s still alive when I was born, one on either side of the family. I was an only child and my parents apparently couldn’t decide so went with both. I like the sentiment in theory but it’s annoying as hell when a form gives one box for ‘middle initial’ and then doesn’t match my ID.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
^ Government forms are a pain in the ass when they only have space for 1 middle name, aren't they?

@MS My middle names are my maternal grandfather's full name. I have a unique first name, though.

Reactions: MS

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
They were obviously never going to match the absurd AAV on Broberg but I’m surprised they’re walking on Holloway who had a fine playoffs and looks to be developing into a really solid, two-way, physical middle-6 forward.
Yeah they've lost a lot of speed up front with both Holloway and McLeod gone. Probably won't affect them too much given that everything runs through McDrai.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i am sad that st louis sweetened here. i would have absolutely called their bluff. as soon as the oilers showed any wilingness to deal them to me it signals they had moved on from those players. a team that wants those players is not picking up the phone.

for me broberg is going to be a disaster at that cap and holloway a steal. not sure if they will offset.

also, in the end, moving ceci was unnecessary unless it was just to be in a position to bluff for the extra 3rd rounder.

so i wonder if bowman took the opportunity to move ceci because he wanted to do that anyway. it is hard to make changes in a game 7 scf lineup.

or did they change their mind on broberg halfway through the week? if so, who changed their mind and why? did mcdavid decide he didn't want those guys back in the room? did bowman identify a plan b?

on the plan b note, i wonder if giardano gets signed shortly.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
^ Government forms are a pain in the ass when they only have space for 1 middle name, aren't they?

@MS My middle names are my maternal grandfather's full name. I have a unique first name, though.

In China we don't bother with middle names. We do however place a lot of emphases and thoughts into actual names though, as the Chinese language can condense so much into so few characters, many names have the parents' hopes and aspiration hidden in them (no, not something like McDoctor Wang). And of course when you get less common last names with TWO characters instead of one, such as Zhuge, Sima, Yuwen, Shangguan...etc, that opens possibilities for some truly magnificent names. By magnificent, I don't mean dumb shit names that will cause your kids to get hazed to death before grade 3, I mean actually culturally significant names with deep historical meaning.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Nope, I’m about the whitest white guy that ever white guyed.

I had two great-grandfathers in their 90s still alive when I was born, one on either side of the family. I was an only child and my parents apparently couldn’t decide so went with both. I like the sentiment in theory but it’s annoying as hell when a form gives one box for ‘middle initial’ and then doesn’t match my ID.

My wife wanted to have Japanese names for the kids middle names but also wanted to carry my family tradition of using the grandparents first name as a middle name. So both my kids have two middle names in two different languages.

Had the same discussion about names with a friend over the weekend about how another mutual friend named their kid Alaska...

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Are the Flyers saying that Johansen is faking or embellishing his injury?
Who knows. But, the onus is going to be on the Flyers to show cause for the termination. See how this ends up. Puck drop is 2 months away for the Flyers to set their roster. See if this gets resolved by then or not.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Oilers played this well considering the situation they put themselves in. I don’t think Pod was the right target though but maybe he’ll prove me wrong. Emberson is interesting. Don’t think Holloway moves the needle and Broberg cap hit sucked, got off Ceci cap hit too.

They have set themselves up to be players at the TDL.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Oilers played this well considering the situation they put themselves in. I don’t think Pod was the right target though but maybe he’ll prove me wrong. Emberson is interesting. Don’t think Holloway moves the needle and Broberg cap hit sucked, got off Ceci cap hit too.

They have set themselves up to be players at the TDL.

The one really annoying part of this is that they managed to turn Ceci into Emberson which is a huge win when you consider ages/cap hits.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
How the Oilers didn't expect this is straight baffling to me. Did they seriously think the kid was just going to accept a dirt cheap offer to help them when they've been touting his future potential for a while now?

I wager somewhere in the 2M gets this done but 1.1M is just laughable for the talent Broberg has.
Some GMs like to grind rfas with no arb rights. Especially the ones who haven’t shown a lot on their elc. Given their tight cap not too surprised they opted to not move much off their number.

That’s why the blues made the OS. Spoke with the agent and learned of the oilers number. Saw their cap situation and no buyouts available to them and made the OS. Knew the kid would sign it and put Edm in a tough spot.

Win for Stl will be whether or not the 2 kids are going to be worth their QO in 2 years. If so, big win for the blues. If not, they have to walk away and took a swing with a second, 2 thirds and a former 5th plus whatever they gave up to get their pick back from Pitt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad