Around the League Thread | Ixnay on Zerplanyay

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

Emphasis on the material breach—which typically means something more serious with regard to the team or league’s reputation.

Johansen seemed to be the player that the Avalanche lockerroom were most upset with last year.

But it was also weird last year when Philly tried to assign him to the AHL only to have it reversed at the last second due to injury. Not sure they could’ve bought him out if he was on IR, either. Maybe Philly thinks there were some shenanigans going on.
Gambling

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
How the Oilers didn't expect this is straight baffling to me. Did they seriously think the kid was just going to accept a dirt cheap offer to help them when they've been touting his future potential for a while now?

I wager somewhere in the 2M gets this done but 1.1M is just laughable for the talent Broberg has.

I think the rumour was Broberg's camp was asking for something around $1.8M AAV.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
STL throws EDM a 2028 3rd and a defenceman drafted in the 5th round in 2023 for futures. Sure looks like Edmonton asked for more assets not to match one or both offer sheets.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Matty Beniers about to sign for around 7x7. I think that’ll quickly be a steal.

Beniers was horrific last year but if he properly breaks out into a 1C in yeah, it will be great for them. It’s a lot less than he would have signed for a year ago.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Beniers was horrific last year but if he properly breaks out into a 1C in yeah, it will be great for them. It’s a lot less than he would have signed for a year ago.
Seattle wasn’t very good as a whole and he’s not even 22. There was definitely a spark there in his first season. Even if he tops out as a high end 2C, it’s good. With the cap rising, even better. Can’t be mad at it at all from Seattle’s side. Probably grooming him as the next captain.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Seattle wasn’t very good as a whole and he’s not even 22. There was definitely a spark there in his first season. Even if he tops out as a high end 2C, it’s good. With the cap rising, even better. Can’t be mad at it at all from Seattle’s side. Probably grooming him as the next captain.

Beniers was probably the main reason Seattle wasn’t good. 24 ES points from 1C minutes and all the prime zone starts etc.

He was about as productive as Sam Lafferty from minutes you’d expect an average top-6 C to pull 45-50 ES points from.

That said, yeah. His rookie season was promising (although he shouldn’t have won the Calder) and if he rebounds even into the 60-70 point range this will go well for them.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
The disappearance of bridge deals for core players and diminution of long-term fingers-crossed UFA deals for aging players seems like a natural progression toward rationality and cost certainty dictated by the salary cap. The game of chicken/prisoner's dilemma that resolved it took 20 years, and I don't really get that, but it had to happen eventually.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
This will get ugly pretty quickly. Especially if Johansen has a legitimate case here and the Flyers are found to have been negligent. Could hinder their ability to sign players.

Doubt it's that simple. Can't see a team outright trying to terminate a guy for an actual "hockey-related" injury. Would guess the argument is going to come down to whether the injury was actually a result of club-sanctioned, hockey-related activities.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Matty Beniers about to sign for around 7x7. I think that’ll quickly be a steal.
He had a bad sophomore slump. Guess Seattle believes in his ability to bounce back and thus prefer term vs a bridge and him regaining his form. Was expecting a bridge deal but guess the potential payoff is worth it for SEA.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The disappearance of bridge deals for core players and diminution of long-term fingers-crossed UFA deals for aging players seems like a natural progression toward rationality and cost certainty dictated by the salary cap. The game of chicken/prisoner's dilemma that resolved it took 20 years, and I don't really get that, but it had to happen eventually.
If you have someone come into the NHL at 19 or 20, an ELC goes to 22/23. Then if you term them at 7/8 years, it's 29-31. Then another term deal for 7/8 years is to 36-39 range. Basically the player has signed just 3 contracts over upwards of a 17-19 year career. Really limits movement given how hard it is to match cap hits for multiple years.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
This will get ugly pretty quickly. Especially if Johansen has a legitimate case here and the Flyers are found to have been negligent. Could hinder their ability to sign players.

on the other hand ryan johansen has been run off 4 teams now for being a lazy, malignant teammate. even if he has a legit injury he's gonna have a hard time convincing anyone he wasn't faking it because of his reputation around the league

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
on the other hand ryan johansen has been run off 4 teams now for being a lazy, malignant teammate. even if he has a legit injury he's gonna have a hard time convincing anyone he wasn't faking it because of his reputation around the league
He doesn't have to convince people around the NHL. Onus on the Flyers to prove their case to the arbitrator. RyJo is finished as a player. What is on the line is amount he's owed on LTIR for this season.

Reactions: BimJenning

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's not going to be cheap and other teams will be able to present a better offer.
Other clubs are more desperate. I mean, if you are still about 2 years away from being a consistent PO team, now is the time to obtain a young goalie (assuming Askarov is ready for the NHL), and get him 2 years of experience so that he's ready for the pressure of backstopping a team to the PO.

Some Habs fans seem content with Sam M/Cayden Primeau as a bridge and think that Fowler will hit the ground running in 3 years. That may be a bit too much to ask from Fowler or any young goalie for that matter.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
He doesn't have to convince people around the NHL. Onus on the Flyers to prove their case to the arbitrator. RyJo is finished as a player. What is on the line is amount he's owed on LTIR for this season.

i don't mean in regards to the arbitration. i mean in regards to whether people will avoid signing with the flyers over this

Reactions: Vector

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
i don't mean in regards to the arbitration. i mean in regards to whether people will avoid signing with the flyers over this
The 2 prior big terminations were LA with Mike Richards and SJ with Kane, that went to arbitration right? Can't think of another at this point in time. SJ was on its way down, so kind of hard to tell that impact. LA, Richards gone for what like 7/8 years already?

Is there a commonality amongst Richards, Kane, and RyJo or how SJ, LA, Phi are regarded/run?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The 2 prior big terminations were LA with Mike Richards and SJ with Kane, that went to arbitration right? Can't think of another at this point in time. SJ was on its way down, so kind of hard to tell that impact. LA, Richards gone for what like 7/8 years already?

Is there a commonality amongst Richards, Kane, and RyJo or how SJ, LA, Phi are regarded/run?

Voynov as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad