Around the League Thread | Ixnay on Zerplanyay

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
They got a 2nd and its two years remaining. If he sucks he sucks, but there's a chance he could score 40 goals
Well, yeah. If he was an 8.7M headcase who couldn't score I imagine the cost to move him would have been much higher.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Add it up, though -- he's averaged 44 games a season over the last 4 years, has evidently had serious problems in two dressing rooms, and makes nearly $9M.

This could end up being either a Kovalev :) situation again for Montreal....or a Kovalev situation :( for Montreal.

Laine will be adored and hated....

Had no idea Laines contract was that high

$8.7 AAV is franking ridiculously high

It's chump change for the owner and also insignificant for Montreal as there's no real cup aspirations. Can easily flip him at next years deadline + retained for a haul.

Reactions: Nick Lang

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
He's going into a situation where he can just play hockey, he's not 'the guy' as the Habs have their own players to build off on.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I heard you loud and clear -- I thought you were wrong. Then within a day one of the rebuilding teams that supposedly had no reason to acquire Ceci or Kulak traded for Ceci.
I said Sharks, Utah, and CBJ were likely teams because of a combination of cap, available roster spot, timeline and fit. You were saying teams like Montreal and Boston have space for Ceci and I told you many reasons why that wasn’t true with one of the reasons being that the Habs have a ton of defenseman and some would be moved and it happened today with the Laine/Harris trade.

Reactions: racerjoe

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

In all the realities that exist, I would never have expected this to be the return for Laine.

I like it. Good reclamation project who could really help get them moving in the right direction. Clb gets a good young D, of which Montreal has plenty, bit they also get another high pick.

I like trades like this where both teams seem to get what they need.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Paid for the Habs to take him without retention.

Great deal for MTL.
And also alleviates a bit of the overcrowding on their blueline, especially on the left side as Harris was no longer waiver exempt. But, man CBS pays a 26 2nd to get rid of him? Man, what a fall.

That 2016 1st round, as of today, it's Matthews, Tkachuck, MacAvoy then drops just a touch Keller, Serg, Thompson and a couple of guys who need a massive bounceback like Laine, PLD and some that are not viewed as highly as they were a couple of years earlies like Chrychrun, and a whole lot of misses.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
I said Sharks, Utah, and CBJ were likely teams because of a combination of cap, available roster spot, timeline and fit. You were saying teams like Montreal and Boston have space for Ceci and I told you many reasons why that wasn’t true with one of the reasons being that the Habs have a ton of defenseman and some would be moved and it happened today with the Laine/Harris trade.
Well, no. You said:

"The three teams I can maybe see a fit is CBJ, Sharks, and Utah. Sharks are rebuilding I don’t think they’d be interested."

Montreal absolutely has space for a veteran defenceman -- ironically, Jordan Harris had more experience than most other players competing for the 5-6-7 spots there. Rebuilding teams generally don't run defences with multiple players with nearly no experience.
Lol not happening.

If Kulak gets moved, I’m going to bet it’s to Utah.
This was a joke.

Last edited:
Reactions: LemonSauceD

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
With so many kids on the roster, and them having Price on LTIR, they do run the risk of pushing elc bonuses into future years. So, long as they incur all of the bonuses before they really compete for the PO, they are fine.

That's the only negative about eating up all of the cap space, but with $10 mill on LTIR, kind of no other choice but to push the bonuses over.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
This could end up being either a Kovalev :) situation again for Montreal....or a Kovalev situation :( for Montreal.

Laine will be adored and hated....

It's chump change for the owner and also insignificant for Montreal as there's no real cup aspirations. Can easily flip him at next years deadline + retained for a haul.
I highly doubt that any SC contender is going to pay a haul for Line as their missing piece at the trade deadline.

His stay in Montreal is bound to be interesting but distracting as well I'm guessing.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
I don't think Montreal is dicking around here or just saw this move as a distressed asset they can rehabilitate. I think they expect to make the playoffs and I don't think they are done making moves.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don't think Montreal is dicking around here or just saw this move as a distressed asset they can rehabilitate. I think they expect to make the playoffs and I don't think they are done making moves.
I think they’re a long shot tbh. Florida, Boston, Toronto and Tampa are locks so they will need to fight for a wildcard spot with some decent teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad