Around the League Thread | Ixnay on Zerplanyay

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Is there any information on Pettersson's injury? Demko?

It is almost like the team evaporated into the void.

Absolutely nothing on what any of the players are doing. Sure it's the off season but Tocchet demands the players keep fit or work out early.

At least with Kuzmenko there were his workouts in the Caribbean.

Aren't the Nucks on the ice soon? Like 3 or 4 weeks?

I have found lately the internet is very selective on information provided from other countries.

Bored.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Is there any information on Pettersson's injury? Demko?

It is almost like the team evaporated into the void.

Absolutely nothing on what any of the players are doing. Sure it's the off season but Tocchet demands the players keep fit or work out early.

At least with Kuzmenko there were his workouts in the Caribbean.

Aren't the Nucks on the ice soon? Like 3 or 4 weeks?

I have found lately the internet is very selective on information provided from other countries.

Bored.

You said yourself, it's the off season.

Reactions: theguardianII

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I really hope that kid doesn’t grow up shorter than his peers or his new name is going to be Mickey Mouse
His dad is 6 feet and Tessa is about average height for a female. He'd have to have bad luck in the gene dept. to be a smaller kid.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
On baby names - there’s definitely something to the thought that parents go to all this trouble coming up with something unique for their little one, and it ends up being a cross that child has to bear forever. Our children have two last names, so I was of the mindset that I wanted something more traditional, and relatively short, for their first names.

I remember the first baby name conversation I had with Mrs. C. We were stuck in traffic in downtown Vancouver, well before kids or even our wedding, and got to talking to pass the time. I think we came up with three or four girls names right then that never wavered for us. If we’d had girls, we’d have been set.

Of course, we had two boys. Go figure.

In that first conversation, she was repulsed by my first suggestion - Clark.

I always prided myself on my poker face when presented with unpalatable ideas. Especially from my better half. But when her first suggestion was “Malakai”, I nearly plowed into the car in front of me. :laugh:

It took us years, and until we were well into our first pregnancy, to come to terms on our firstborn’s name. That actually made the second one easier, as we looked for something in a similar style. That’s how we ended up with Noah and Luke.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
Parents love showing the world how creative and individual they are by being the first people ever to give their child a stupid name that will be a confusing curse for the next 90 years.

Agreed 100%.

On baby names - there’s definitely something to the thought that parents go to all this trouble coming up with something unique for their little one, and it ends up being a cross that child has to bear forever. Our children have two last names, so I was of the mindset that I wanted something more traditional, and relatively short, for their first names.

I remember the first baby name conversation I had with Mrs. C. We were stuck in traffic in downtown Vancouver, well before kids or even our wedding, and got to talking to pass the time. I think we came up with three or four girls names right then that never wavered for us. If we’d had girls, we’d have been set.

Of course, we had two boys. Go figure.

In that first conversation, she was repulsed by my first suggestion - Clark.

I always prided myself on my poker face when presented with unpalatable ideas. Especially from my better half. But when her first suggestion was “Malakai”, I nearly plowed into the car in front of me. :laugh:

It took us years, and until we were well into our first pregnancy, to come to terms on our firstborn’s name. That actually made the second one easier, as we looked for something in a similar style. That’s how we ended up with Noah and Luke.

Just a guess but are you religious by any chance? Malakai/Luke/Noah all have very strong religious connotations.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Agreed 100%.

Just a guess but are you religious by any chance? Malakai/Luke/Noah all have very strong religious connotations.

Surprisingly, no. Especially my better half, who is a major atheist. :laugh: I was loosely raised Christian - and I mean very loosely - but it’s not like I went looking for strong Hebrew names. Just scoured lists and lists of names and their meanings, what sounded good and meant good things.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Ceci and a 3rd to San Jose for Ty Emberson. Given Emberson's value, this is pretty much a straight across trade for one of the "young defenceman" who supposedly made any trade of Ceci to San Jose impossible, and it's exactly the kind of trade I was expecting. Teams aren't going to run defences where half the guys have zero or one season in the league. Emberson might actually be more valuable than Edmonton's 3rd.

Last edited:

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
It’s great! More weirdness should happen in August.
Definitely made for some excitement with still too long before regular season games.

I'd assume that means edm matches broberg, but maybe not, maybe there's more to come tomorrow and they fill that slot with another move!?

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Oilers making decent trades. I think if Alvin made similar moves, he'd be getting some praise

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Oilers making decent trades. I think if Alvin made similar moves, he'd be getting some praise
The trades are good. They made the best of a bad situation.
But having to pay Broberg almost $4.6 million a year for the next two years assuming they match is a pretty poor move that could have been prevented. Friedman said he was asking for $1.8 million.
As bad as Ceci was with Nurse he was part of an impressive PK during the playoff run last year.
Short term I think the Oilers are worse swapping Ceci for Broberg and Holloway for Pod.

Reactions: gsharpe

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ceci and a 3rd to San Jose for Ty Emberson. Given Emberson's value, this is pretty much a straight across trade for one of the "young defenceman" who supposedly made any trade of Ceci to San Jose impossible, and it's exactly the kind of trade I was expecting. Teams aren't going to run defences where half the guys have zero or one season in the league. Emberson might actually be more valuable than Edmonton's 3rd.
Does SJ have that many young Dmen on their roster this season? It's definatley difficult to have that many kids on an NHL D core at once. Having a good partner is difficult to find for bad clubs. Ana finished the final 1/3 of their season last year with basically 3 rookies in Mint, Lacombe, and Zell. And are going to start the season with them as well. Montreal is going with some combo of Harris, Guhle, Barron, X, and add in struble. I think their NHL experience ranges from like 56 to 131 NHL games, with Struble, X and Barron under 100 with Guhle at 114 and Harris at 131. So, it's be rough the past couple of seasons trying to insert them all into the lineup.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Does SJ have that many young Dmen on their roster this season? It's definatley difficult to have that many kids on an NHL D core at once. Having a good partner is difficult to find for bad clubs. Ana finished the final 1/3 of their season last year with basically 3 rookies in Mint, Lacombe, and Zell. And are going to start the season with them as well. Montreal is going with some combo of Harris, Guhle, Barron, X, and add in struble. I think their NHL experience ranges from like 56 to 131 NHL games, with Struble, X and Barron under 100 with Guhle at 114 and Harris at 131. So, it's be rough the past couple of seasons trying to insert them all into the lineup.
I spent a solid day discussing this with posters who thought it would take a 1st to dump Ceci and that no team with a surplus of young defencemen could fit him in. Montreal would have been well-advised to acquire Kulak or Ceci too and may have been in on them for all I know.

Not getting this from the Predators' perspective. You're nearly capped out, you have a good, highly paid starter about to hit 30 who has been overworked, and your existing backup isn't anything special. Why not work Askarov in?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I spent a solid day discussing this with posters who thought it would take a 1st to dump Ceci and that no team with a surplus of young defencemen could fit him in. Montreal would have been well-advised to acquire Kulak or Ceci too and may have been in on them for all I know.

Not getting this from the Predators' perspective. You're nearly capped out, you have a good, highly paid starter about to hit 30 who has been overworked, and your existing backup isn't anything special. Why not work Askarov in?

It's definitely a curious situation, and they signed Wedgewood to a two year deal.

I think they've been trying to trade him for a couple years now but just keep asking too much. Goalies just do not return premium prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad