Around the League Thread | Ixnay on Zerplanyay

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
My egregious misunderstanding of how the LTIR/cap relief works notwithstanding, Patrick Johnson sees a scenario in which the Poolman contract might get moved to Edmonton. (But I was still wrong.)

Could the Canucks help the Oilers out of their offer-sheet pickle?

Yes, that’s the only way moving Poolman works for another team. They’d also have to send a contract back to the Canucks. Another example would be Capitals trading Ethan Bear for Poolman.

Reactions: Lindgren

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Yes, that’s the only way moving Poolman works for another team. They’d also have to send a contract back to the Canucks. Another example would be Capitals trading Ethan Bear for Poolman.

I also thought Poolman for Glass was a move that might have worked, until Nashville moved him to Pittsburgh.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I also thought Poolman for Glass was a move that might have worked, until Nashville moved him to Pittsburgh.

I figure only teams already projected to start the season on LTIR would be interested in that kind of swap. Captials, Golden Knights, and Oilers (as of this week) are the only teams expected to start there. Predators were going to be over the cap, though.

Right now I have the Maple Leafs, Devils, Islanders, Flyers, and Oilers as the only teams projected to be over the cap. Maple Leafs haven't actually registered Hakanpaa's contract and sounds like that one won't happen. Devils can bridge Mercer to stay in compliance. Oilers have some choices to make. That leaves the Flyers (22/23) and Islanders (23/23) as the only teams over without a surefire way to get over. However, both aren't over by a lot: Flyers for 0.83m and Islanders 0.79m.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

🤢 🤒 The thought makes me ill. Would rather keep Poolman and use his LTIR at the deadline for something useful. You're probably not serious just offering another example ... I hope. 🙂

Last edited:

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
My egregious misunderstanding of how the LTIR/cap relief works notwithstanding, Patrick Johnson sees a scenario in which the Poolman contract might get moved to Edmonton. (But I was still wrong.)

Could the Canucks help the Oilers out of their offer-sheet pickle?
What do you mean by the bolded?
🤢 🤒 The thought makes me ill. Would rather keep Poolman and use his LITR at the deadline for something useful. You're probably not serious just offering another example ... I hope. 🙂
I seriously want to ask my local rec centre to put on a continuing education course about this.

LTIR Basics

Make learning about the NHL's Long Term Injury Reserve fun! Bring a water bottle and healthy snacks, paper and pens provided. Free with Vancouver Onecard

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
kulak being davydov to poolman being weber is an interesting idea. given the implication of helping a direct rival i doubt it happens though. oilers would make a worse deal with another team to avoid the additional penalty of boosting the canucks.

🤢 🤒 The thought makes me ill. Would rather keep Poolman and use his LITR at the deadline for something useful. You're probably not serious just offering another example ... I hope. 🙂
kulak is something useful and they'd have him for the entire season, plus they could accumulate cap space for the tdl so that they could acquire something else useful.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
What do you mean by the bolded?

I mean put him on LTIR at the deadline and use Poolman's $2.5 mil to add a player who fills what our needs are at the time. Is that not what the current plan seems to be or am I missing something?

Maybe my wording was off. Sorry, I get a little tired of the terminology and I kind of gloss over the phonetics sometimes. It all boils down to cap space for me. It seems like some people over complicate it a bit lol.

I seriously want to ask my local rec centre to put on a continuing education course about this.

LTIR Basics

Make learning about the NHL's Long Term Injury Reserve fun! Bring a water bottle and healthy snacks, paper and pens provided. Free with Vancouver Onecard

Do you have a link? :help:

kulak being davydov to poolman being weber is an interesting idea. given the implication of helping a direct rival i doubt it happens though. oilers would make a worse deal with another team to avoid the additional penalty of boosting the canucks.

kulak is something useful and they'd have him for the entire season, plus they could accumulate cap space for the tdl so that they could acquire something else useful.

Kulak, yes he is a decent player. Bear? No.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I mean put him on LTIR at the deadline and use Poolman's $2.5 mil to add a player who fills what our our needs are at the time. Is that not what the current plan seems to be or am I missing something?

No, that is not the current plan. The current plan is to accrue capspace so by the deadline contracts are cheaper and you have more capspace. If you wait until the trade deadline, he'd eat up all that capspace and you would no longer gain the benefit of contracts lessening over the course of the season.

What they want to do is go into the season with Poolman either traded or on regular IR so they can accrue capspace.

Reactions: Hodgy

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
No, that is not the current plan. The current plan is to accrue capspace so by the deadline contracts are cheaper and you have more capspace. If you wait until the trade deadline, he'd eat up all that capspace and you would no longer gain the benefit of contracts lessening over the course of the season.

What they want to do is go into the season with Poolman either traded or on regular IR so they can accrue capspace.

I get that we're accruing cap space. I thought that was self explanatory. So they won't LTIR him at any point then?

What if they can't trade him, or the price is too high, what happens to him then if we don't LTIR him ... we just keep him on the roster counting against the cap all year?

Geez, I think I'm going to have to go and read up on how this all works. I thought I understood by reading all these posts all summer but obviously not lol.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I get that we're accruing cap space. I thought that was self explanatory. So they won't LTIR him at any point then?

What if they can't trade him, or the price is too high, what happens to him then if we don't LTIR him ... we just keep him on the roster counting against the cap all year?

Geez, I think I'm going to have to go and read up on how this all works. I thought I understood by reading all these posts all summer but obviously not lol.

Once you are on LTIR you no longer accrue space and players cap hits are no longer reduced as the season goes on, for the purposes of acquisition. I am unclear if cap hits are frozen at the moment you go on LTIR or if it reverts to the beginning of the season number. The Canucks are currently under the cap and can just keep him on IR. He'll count against the cap all season and they get his roster spot.

The problem with keeping him is that they don't have the capspace to absorb any sort of medium-term injury. It does look like they'll run a 23/23 roster for a good chunk of the season and that will alleviate that problem.

Reactions: David71

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
If Broberg is gone what does the Edmonton defense look like now?

Ekholm, Bouchard, Nurse, Ceci, Kulak….?

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Once you are on LTIR you no longer accrue space and players cap hits are no longer reduced as the season goes on, for the purposes of acquisition. I am unclear if cap hits are frozen at the moment you go on LTIR or if it reverts to the beginning of the season number. The Canucks are currently under the cap and can just keep him on IR. He'll count against the cap all season and they get his roster spot.

The problem with keeping him is that they don't have the capspace to absorb any sort of medium-term injury. It does look like they'll run a 23/23 roster for a good chunk of the season and that will alleviate that problem.

Hmmm, I was under the impression that once we accrued cap space during the season we could then move Poolman to LTIR at or towards the deadline and then use that $2.5 to replace him, as well as any accrued space. I think it was a @credulous post I was reading at the time.

And yeah, if we get a medium-term injury it will force us to LTIR him, or run with 22 players. At least that was my understanding until I opened my big mouth earlier. :D

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
It could always be worse. Like your girlfriend having cramps just before Game 1 against the Oilers and then makint you sell the tickets and missing out on one of the best home playoff games of all time.
Dated a girl for 3 months in 2013...I knew we were through when she bought a Jonathan Toews Blackhawks shirt.

• Haha
Reactions: LemonSauceD

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Hmmm, I was under the impression that once we accrued cap space during the season we could then move Poolman to LTIR at or towards the deadline and then use that $2.5 to replace him, as well as any accrued space. I think it was a @credulous post I was reading at the time.

And yeah, if we get a medium-term injury it will force us to LTIR him, or run with 22 players. At least that was my understanding until I opened my big mouth earlier. :D

If you place him on LTIR, he would use up whatever cap space is gained. Say the Canucks managed to accrue enough space to be at 2m by the trade deadline. Moving Poolman would consume that 2m and you'd only get 0.5m of LTIR space. So you'd actually have less space than if you just left him on IR instead.

Ideally, they find a way to move him before the season starts.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
It could always be worse. Like your girlfriend having cramps just before Game 1 against the Oilers and then makint you sell the tickets and missing out on one of the best home playoff games of all time.

that's an absurd hypothetical though. no self respecting canucks fan would give up his ticket in that situation.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I don't think it matters if he's IR or LTIR just that we're under the cap with Poolmans 2.5 on our cap to accrue space. If you're above using IR or LTIR you're not getting cap space simple as that.

The only provision IR provides is getting emergency relief if you run under league minimum salary in cap and are short roster players or want to exceed 23 including the IR player and being able to avoid waivers

It's all day to day Game 1 to game 82. What you save is accrued by averages but you can never go over without LTIR (player salary - cap space) and the space you have gets more valuable as each player has paid off their salaries elsewhere which means 2 million of space at the 75% mark of the season is worth 8m.

There are some bonus structures that are complicated re: when used etc. which create variables to how they are added and who they can add.

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
All that said Poolman if traded without being in LTIR provides 2.5 pro rated if we're into LTIR it's not pro rated and we have no cap room and can only start to build once he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad