Around the League Thread | Ixnay on Zerplanyay

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I would bet on the Oilers retaining Holloway and letting Broberg go.

A 2nd rounder is a decent asset to use for a top4 RD and they already have Ekholm Kulak and Nurse at LD so it would be a glaring miss use of cap if Broberg isn't able to play top4 RD

STL played this well. Certainly believe that Broberg was on the path to being a top4/5 D and is young but you really have to as an organization just ask yourself if you would sign them as UFAs to these contracts. For Broberg it just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Holloway given all the speed and youth the Oil walked away from already for more experienced and productive players scoring wise but old legs that wont provide much push they really need Holloway more now than if Foegele and McLoed were still options. Given his rise and play it's easy to project this type of deal or more if he's back next year with 35pts

If Kane is on LTIR for the first few months it's pretty manageable to still build cap room to make a impact move for the D as the season unfolds with Broberg gone. If you retain him and he struggles it's yet another season where they try to take the handcuffs off and wont have flexibility.

Reactions: Nucker101

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
What really f***ed up their deadline ability was trading their 2025 1st round pick at the draft to make a pick in the first round. Really didn't understand it, but it fit with their weird organizational philosophy of cheap home grown talent... which has really yielded no positive results for their contending ability, given that they had to trade McLeod and are now on the verge of losing two other "cheap" young players due to offer sheets.

one of my friends is utterly convinced that the oilers are trading o'reilly at the deadline, using the ekholm trade with reid schafer as the precedent. which makes some sense in theory if o'reilly has a big season / wjhc and ups his value in a huge way, given that their pick is almost certainly going to be in the late 20s and has pretty static market value - but their only way to cash in on that was to have broberg provide surplus value so they could trade/upgrade ceci. now they need ceci even with another addition, just to keep stecher/brown out of the lineup. lol.

Reactions: God

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
one of my friends is utterly convinced that the oilers are trading o'reilly at the deadline, using the ekholm trade with reid schafer as the precedent. which makes some sense in theory if o'reilly has a big season / wjhc and ups his value in a huge way, given that their pick is almost certainly going to be in the late 20s and has pretty static market value - but their only way to cash in on that was to have broberg provide surplus value so they could trade/upgrade ceci. now they need ceci even with another addition, just to keep stecher/brown out of the lineup. lol.
funnily enough, it's the only way i saw a mcleod for savoie trade working out for them - savoie ups his numbers with mcdavid or drai, and they parlay him into a bigger piece. but that's crazy to bet on their scouts being so right on o'reilly when they haven't been great over the past 5-10 years.

Reactions: vancityluongo

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Between McDavid to now, if they do not match have Bouchard on their roster from round 1.

Puju, Yamamoto, Broberg, Holloway, Blougoriut, Schaefer, 23 part of Ekholm trade and traded back in to grab O’Reilly.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
funnily enough, it's the only way i saw a mcleod for savoie trade working out for them - savoie ups his numbers with mcdavid or drai, and they parlay him into a bigger piece. but that's crazy to bet on their scouts being so right on o'reilly when they haven't been great over the past 5-10 years.

agreed. although i wonder if big numbers next to those two even counts for anything, or if an actual good performance would get more than fairly discounted. but that is the only sensible play for that trade too.

otherwise it's a repeat of gillis not cashing future value chips in to win, despite also having a dogshit scouting team and track record, because "perpetual window"... except in this case it's even more blatantly clear that their window is basically just this year and then it gets a lot harder.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Why are you friends with an Oilers fan?

I've been married to one for 28 years but she's not my friend.....

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I was sad we moved him. He could have been our Joel Otto.

I remember reading a Scatch story from the early 2000s, when he was playing with the Islanders. A group of kids playing street hockey, one of whom was tragically terminally ill, and Scatchard showed up and played with them. Showed them all a great time, was super classy. When the child passed away, he came to the house to be with the parents, hold their hands, and grieve with them.

One of those little stories that doesn’t get picked up by press, and just spreads by word of mouth. But in addition to being a very underrated player who I was very sorry to see go, he just seemed like a terrific human being.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I remember reading a Scatch story from the early 2000s, when he was playing with the Islanders. A group of kids playing street hockey, one of whom was tragically terminally ill, and Scatchard showed up and played with them. Showed them all a great time, was super classy. When the child passed away, he came to the house to be with the parents, hold their hands, and grieve with them.

One of those little stories that doesn’t get picked up by press, and just spreads by word of mouth. But in addition to being a very underrated player who I was very sorry to see go, he just seemed like a terrific human being.
I remember reading a while ago that Scatchard was one of the few cases where a player was traded almost immediately after signing with a new team, and it's because he called out Joe Thornton's Boston Bruins for having a country club attitude.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I remember reading a while ago that Scatchard was one of the few cases where a player was traded almost immediately after signing with a new team, and it's because he called out Joe Thornton's Boston Bruins for having a country club attitude.

Ultimately the Bruins agreed with him because they traded Thornton shortly afterwards.

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver

Scatchard was the first NHLer I ever met as a little kid in the summer of 1999.
A social services organization was hosting an event for my brother and some other children with disabilities and Scatchard just showed up on his own, no PR people with him or anything. I knew all his stats by heart and congratulated him on a great season and we had a fun short chat. Gave me an oversized hockey card of himself and signed it.
What an exciting moment that was as a kid - I was buzzing the whole week :laugh:

Looking back, that's a super mature thing to do as a 23 year old kid who just finished his 2nd year in the NHL

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Lowkey looked for odds on edm missing playoffs, one Cinderella run scf loss has bred much delusion.

I don't see a presidents trophy team at all, not even as good a team as last year where everything went right, downhill trend has likely started.

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver
Think Edmonton's being overrated. One of the oldest teams in the league that just got a year older especially if they lose Holloway or Broberg.
- Edmonton in general last year was very healthy and a long run to the finals/short summer doesn't help with the wear and tear. If things don't start well, the frustration of not meeting their high expectations might creep in.
- Jeff Skinner likely won't get 1st unit PP time barring injuries, and won't be on the ice in key offensive situations. He produced the same as Sprong last year except with 1st unit PP time, heavier o-zone deployment, and 4 more minutes of ice time per game. No defensive utility either. Don't see this being the amazing signing it's hyped up as - neutral at best. Think overall 5v5 game, he's a downgrade from Foegele
- Arvidsson...he was cheap for a reason. How will his health hold up? Rookie Savoie will have to take his place if he goes down
- Can Ekholm maintain being a premiere top pairing D at age 34 with all the hard minutes he has to play?
- Loss of Kane isn't negligible. What kind of playing condition will he be in if he makes his season debut in the playoffs
- Defense is minus Desharnais/potentially Broberg from last year and in net it's the same Stuart Skinner the oilers board was cursing out after almost every game against us last year

Vegas on the other hand I think is being severely underrated. Their players had a long summer to rest, roster is stacked with a good coach, and I think they end up taking the division

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Lowkey looked for odds on edm missing playoffs, one Cinderella run scf loss has bred much delusion.

I don't see a presidents trophy team at all, not even as good a team as last year where everything went right, downhill trend has likely started.
Regular season is overrated in terms of getting the top seed. Arenas not that different from each other these days, that there isn't a decidedly huge home ice advantage.

More important IMO to safely qualify in early April and have 2 weeks to manage the roster and give a guy a game off or something to be as fresh as you can come PO. Really no break in the PO sched until you get to the finals from what we saw this past season.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Vegas on the other hand I think is being severely underrated. Their players had a long summer to rest, roster is stacked with a good coach, and I think they end up taking the division

They are an injury prone bunch...but yeah, if Hertl and Stone, along wiith their top 4 D can stay healthy then watch out!

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The Irony is Broberg could be better than Nurse by the end of this year in STL :laugh:

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
No all it would do is make them instead of 7 million over 9.5 million over.

LTIR only helps them IF Poolman was already part of their roster and couldn't play so they could use his space to replace him by going over by his contract AAV.

You don't add cap space?
My egregious misunderstanding of how the LTIR/cap relief works notwithstanding, Patrick Johnson sees a scenario in which the Poolman contract might get moved to Edmonton. (But I was still wrong.)

Could the Canucks help the Oilers out of their offer-sheet pickle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad