Around the League Thread | Ixnay on Zerplanyay

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I spent a solid day discussing this with posters who thought it would take a 1st to dump Ceci and that no team with a surplus of young defencemen could fit him in. Montreal would have been well-advised to acquire Kulak or Ceci too and may have been in on them for all I know.
The 2 vets Montreal has are Matheson and Savard. If they added Ceci, they couldn't fit all of the kids on the roster. Struble and Guhle are waiver exempt, but Guhle isn't getting sent to the A. Harris and Barron are not. I am not certain with X. Keeping 8 Dmen, barring injuries, it's hard to get them all into games and ultimately, they'd be better off keeping Struble in the A if that's the case.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The 2 vets Montreal has are Matheson and Savard. If they added Ceci, they couldn't fit all of the kids on the roster. Struble and Guhle are waiver exempt, but Guhle isn't getting sent to the A. Harris and Barron are not. I am not certain with X. Keeping 8 Dmen, barring injuries, it's hard to get them all into games and ultimately, they'd be better off keeping Struble in the A if that's the case.

Two different people, myself included, said the exact same thing and it fell on deaf ears/blind eyeballs.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
It's definitely a curious situation, and they signed Wedgewood to a two year deal.

I think they've been trying to trade him for a couple years now but just keep asking too much. Goalies just do not return premium prices.
You're probably right, which seems like a good reason to play him. Young backups with draft pedigree putting up gaudy numbers behind an incumbent starter tend to have pretty good trade value historically.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
You're probably right, which seems like a good reason to play him. Young backups with draft pedigree putting up gaudy numbers behind an incumbent starter tend to have pretty good trade value historically.

At this point, he's probably worth the equivalent of a couple of 2nd round picks or a good prospect + 3rd. Teams have got, and justifiably, weird about goalies.

Reactions: timw33

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not getting this from the Predators' perspective. You're nearly capped out, you have a good, highly paid starter about to hit 30 who has been overworked, and your existing backup isn't anything special. Why not work Askarov in?
That's the thing, Askarov hasn't been a full time NHLer yet as a backup. Solidify that role first, then figure out where you will play after that. This year, that extension has no bearing on him. It does either the following year or at least by 26/27 season. But, deal with it then.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Two different people, myself included, said the exact same thing and it fell on deaf ears/blind eyeballs.
I heard you loud and clear -- I thought you were wrong. Then within a day one of the rebuilding teams that supposedly had no reason to acquire Ceci or Kulak traded for Ceci.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

I'm trying to think of comparables, and of course Schnieder for 9th overall pick stands out as the high water mark.

Varlamov in 2011 with 60 NHL starts to his name for 11th (Filip Forsberg) and a 2nd (54 overall), but now we're reaching back a bit far as the market seems to have faded goalies a little.

Trying to think about guys with less than a handful of NHL starts with the high pedigree being moved for value though and can't come up with anyone off the top of my head. Devon Levi was part of the Sam Reinhart FLA/BUF trade but he wasn't the main piece.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If Montreal did get Ceci, they'd have to make decisions on who they truly felt could develop on their blueline. Barron as the only young RHD of that group would get the 3RD spot, with Savard and Ceci. Matheson, Guhle the LHD and 2 of X/Harris/Struble as the final 2 spots of a 7 D unit.
They would really need to see those others not name Guhle develop as the following season would have Reinbacher, Mailloux with 2 ahl years plus Hutson with is NCAA time and a year in the A challenging for spots with only Matheson as the veteran under contract.

They just have a lot of young Dmen right now....

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
SJ D on NHL.com is
Rutta, Benning, and now Ceci on the RHD
Ferraro, Thrun, Vlasic, and Walman as LHD.

Thrun the only youngster on that group. Not sure if they plan on having any rookies.

SJ not many high Dman picks (rd 3 or higher) from 2020 to 2022, aside from Havelid and FIsher in 2022, so they are just 20. Havelid is a smaller one and Fisher played another year in the USHL and just finished his freshman year at Northeastern this past year. Anyone else is a teenager right now.
Probably could have done without this trade, but maybe the only benefit to SJ is to double up on picks in dumping Ceci at the TDL, but they do not have any retention spots. All used up on Burns, EK, and Hertl.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
SJ D on NHL.com is
Rutta, Benning, and now Ceci on the RHD
Ferraro, Thrun, Vlasic, and Walman as LHD.

Thrun the only youngster on that group. Not sure if they plan on having any rookies.

SJ not many high Dman picks (rd 3 or higher) from 2020 to 2022, aside from Havelid and FIsher in 2022, so they are just 20. Havelid is a smaller one and Fisher played another year in the USHL and just finished his freshman year at Northeastern this past year. Anyone else is a teenager right now.
Probably could have done without this trade, but maybe the only benefit to SJ is to double up on picks in dumping Ceci at the TDL, but they do not have any retention spots. All used up on Burns, EK, and Hertl.

The only young defencemen they have in the system that will probably get time this season is Mukhamadullin and Thompson. They drafted Sam Dickinson last year and have some interesting prospects (Cagnoni) but it's pretty barren.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The only young defencemen they have in the system that will probably get time this season is Mukhamadullin and Thompson. They drafted Sam Dickinson last year and have some interesting prospects (Cagnoni) but it's pretty barren.
Right, Muk was from the Meier trade. 2020 draft, so at 22 probably expected to make their roster. Was only looking at the top 3 round picks from 2020 onwards. Even checked 2019 and didn't see anyone else. Teenagers, going to be a couple of years for them. Unless they have late birthdays, they are either in the NHL or back in CHL until they are 20.

Reactions: Vector

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
To be clear, I think it’s a very dumb trade by the Sharks and I’m not alone in that.
People are saying that about the price, not the target. I was debating people who said 1) rebuilding teams would have no interest at all, and 2) Kulak and Ceci would require significant assets attached to move.

Also, the Sharks board is almost uniformly positive about this trade for exactly the reasons I thought it would take place. All their veterans are terrible/busted, the young guys are too inexperienced for serious minutes and they need a solid player to stabilize the blueline for the long-term good of the team.

Last edited:

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
what's wrong with the price san jose "paid" for ceci? they got a 3rd and while emberson is a decent depth option he's also the kind of player that has effectively zero value. they just sent him to edmonton for roster reasons (both in that edmonton needed a cheap defender and san jose needs space)

Last edited:

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Wow Laine went as a cap dump, I thought for sure BJs would expect value back.

I dont know Montreals cap situation but this could be a brilliant gamble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad