2025 NHL Draft: Lose a ton for Porter Martone

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Yeah was just thinking about the somewhat unlikely hypothetical where both those guys maintain their current pace.

I just don't think 2 way game as prospects is particularly meaningful.
I think when considering Celebrini's 2-way game it is important to note a few things.

1) He did in at the NCAA level... far more transferable than being 2-way in Jr
2) He did it while producing at elite offensive levels... could he have scored more if he was cheating for offense like so many top tier prospects?

IMO, Celebrini's 2-way game speaks to the likelihood he matures into a clear top line centre at the NHL level. It displays the commitment to get better at all areas of his game. He is unlikely to lose that commitment.

There is a line I heard used to describe Crosby that I feel might end up applying to Celebrini.

"Crosby is the best at everything you can get better at."

I can't recall who said it but it they were speaking about the dozens of little skills like faceoffs, backhands, puck protection, tips that really only require time and dedication to master and how Crosby we relentless at continuously improve those things.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
I think when considering Celebrini's 2-way game it is important to note a few things.

1) He did in at the NCAA level... far more transferable than being 2-way in Jr
2) He did it while producing at elite offensive levels... could he have scored more if he was cheating for offense like so many top tier prospects?

IMO, Celebrini's 2-way game speaks to the likelihood he matures into a clear top line centre at the NHL level. It displays the commitment to get better at all areas of his game. He is unlikely to lose that commitment.

There is a line I heard used to describe Crosby that I feel might end up applying to Celebrini.

"Crosby is the best at everything you can get better at."

I can't recall who said it but it they were speaking about the dozens of little skills like faceoffs, backhands, puck protection, tips that really only require time and dedication to master and how Crosby we relentless at continuously improve those things.
Crosby another great example of a guy who came in with elite offensive skills and iq, but a weak defensive game and gradually improved to be an elite all-around player.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
So then is it looking like the top 3 prospects will likely be forwards? I know you take BPA, but man it’d be tempting to grab the highest available defenseman just due to our lack. That said, I suppose if you get a Hagens or whatever, it makes some of our other prospects more tradeable for a potential 1D.
Really depends on how Schaefer's season goes, I think he's the only D worthy of a top-5 pick at the moment but mono may have a drastic impact on his draft year production. Martone, McQueen, and Misa have all gone nuclear to start their CHL seasons. Hagens will have to dominate the NCAA statistically to the extent that Celebrini and Smith did last season in order to maintain his 1st overall status, which I think he will.

Reactions: Jargon

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Celebrini and McQueen down the middle with Smith and Eklund on the wings is intriguing. We'll have recreated Toronto's core four without having to pay anybody $11 million a year in free agency.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Crosby another great example of a guy who came in with elite offensive skills and iq, but a weak defensive game and gradually improved to be an elite all-around player.

No question it is easier to develop the defensive side of the game than the offensive side but there are countless examples of offensive players who never approach NHL level defense.

Do scouts question Celebrini's hockey IQ?

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
No question it is easier to develop the defensive side of the game than the offensive side but there are countless examples of offensive players who never approach NHL level defense.

Do scouts question Celebrini's hockey IQ?
No, Celebrini is a brilliant player and I would argue his hockey IQ is one of his biggest strengths (+ leads to that attention to detail that everyone raves about and is extremely rare to see in a teenager).

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Penguins drafted three centers with top 2 picks three years in a row. I'd say it worked out pretty well for them.

Fair point! Yeah, I’m generally of the mind that, if we’re talking top 3-5 picks, you pick the best guy available and figure it out later. I just want to see us get that 1D at some point.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Fair point! Yeah, I’m generally of the mind that, if we’re talking top 3-5 picks, you pick the best guy available and figure it out later. I just want to see us get that 1D at some point.

It's nicer to draft and develop but there are always trades and free agency

In the glory years so to speak the Sharks acquired Campbell, Boyle, Burns, and Karlsson as high end guys alone.

Reactions: Jargon

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
It's nicer to draft and develop but there are always trades and free agency

In the glory years so to speak the Sharks acquired Campbell, Boyle, Burns, and Karlsson as high end guys alone.

Yeah for sure, and we can see from the Askarov trade that Grier is not afraid to aggressively go out and get what he wants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad