2025 NHL Draft: Lose a ton for Porter Martone

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Yeah was just thinking about the somewhat unlikely hypothetical where both those guys maintain their current pace.

I just don't think 2 way game as prospects is particularly meaningful.
I think when considering Celebrini's 2-way game it is important to note a few things.

1) He did in at the NCAA level... far more transferable than being 2-way in Jr
2) He did it while producing at elite offensive levels... could he have scored more if he was cheating for offense like so many top tier prospects?

IMO, Celebrini's 2-way game speaks to the likelihood he matures into a clear top line centre at the NHL level. It displays the commitment to get better at all areas of his game. He is unlikely to lose that commitment.

There is a line I heard used to describe Crosby that I feel might end up applying to Celebrini.

"Crosby is the best at everything you can get better at."

I can't recall who said it but it they were speaking about the dozens of little skills like faceoffs, backhands, puck protection, tips that really only require time and dedication to master and how Crosby we relentless at continuously improve those things.

Reactions: weastern bias

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
I think when considering Celebrini's 2-way game it is important to note a few things.

1) He did in at the NCAA level... far more transferable than being 2-way in Jr
2) He did it while producing at elite offensive levels... could he have scored more if he was cheating for offense like so many top tier prospects?

IMO, Celebrini's 2-way game speaks to the likelihood he matures into a clear top line centre at the NHL level. It displays the commitment to get better at all areas of his game. He is unlikely to lose that commitment.

There is a line I heard used to describe Crosby that I feel might end up applying to Celebrini.

"Crosby is the best at everything you can get better at."

I can't recall who said it but it they were speaking about the dozens of little skills like faceoffs, backhands, puck protection, tips that really only require time and dedication to master and how Crosby we relentless at continuously improve those things.
Crosby another great example of a guy who came in with elite offensive skills and iq, but a weak defensive game and gradually improved to be an elite all-around player.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
So then is it looking like the top 3 prospects will likely be forwards? I know you take BPA, but man it’d be tempting to grab the highest available defenseman just due to our lack. That said, I suppose if you get a Hagens or whatever, it makes some of our other prospects more tradeable for a potential 1D.
Really depends on how Schaefer's season goes, I think he's the only D worthy of a top-5 pick at the moment but mono may have a drastic impact on his draft year production. Martone, McQueen, and Misa have all gone nuclear to start their CHL seasons. Hagens will have to dominate the NCAA statistically to the extent that Celebrini and Smith did last season in order to maintain his 1st overall status, which I think he will.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Celebrini and McQueen down the middle with Smith and Eklund on the wings is intriguing. We'll have recreated Toronto's core four without having to pay anybody $11 million a year in free agency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad