OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Or trade. Or get a FA. Pretty much what I said before...tackles go in the first way more than the other OL.

But it very likely depends on team need and how many other stud QB or other skill players are in the draft. If you need a QB and have 2OA in a potentially rare draft with QBs of this quality, you'd better think twice about taking any OL at #2 unless they're can't-miss studs you plan to build your entire line around for a long time.

Which is why the handling of Trent Williams was so disastrously stupid.
Oh I wouldn’t take OT at 2 in THIS draft. That would be over inflating the players.

BUT, there have been drafts where an OT could go that early.

However you and I are polishing two sides of the same stone. We are aligned, IMO.

Reactions: g00n

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
Though many NFL sources believed Johnson was the top candidate, Washington had not interviewed him in person. Before he could be considered one of the favorites, the committee wanted a face-to-face interview.

According to team sources, Washington's decision-makers were looking forward to their Detroit trip to meet with Glenn and Johnson. But Washington never got that chance with the latter. While the committee members were en route, Johnson texted them to say he had decided to stay with the Lions. According to multiple people involved, because Johnson texted when they were in the air, they found out about his decision via social media, before his text went through -- a sequence that irked the Commanders delegation.

probably posted prior but this is a good read

the more time that passes by the more this was a great hire.

• Love
Reactions: Ridley Simon

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
We would be crazy not to trade him if we could get a 3rd (supposedly the Jets and Patriots are inquiring)

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Watch us trade him for a 3rd then he develops properly into a legit top 10 starting QB for some lucky bastards. Its not at all out of the realm of possibility. His performance was up and down, for sure, but he's played ONE year, his potential is not yet maxed out by any stretch, and he performed this year under really bad conditions, specifically an OC who did absolutely nothing to help him. Imagine him under the right circumstances, he has talent, he just needs more time to develop.

He's almost worth more keeping and letting him develop under KK into a solid backup/potential starter, before we trade him off for a backup linebacker or something equally fungible.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I’m not trading Howell for a 3rd round pick. A quality backup is important and with Howell you have a quality backup for dirt cheap. I’m also not sold yet on him not being a quality starter — the situation he was thrown into last year was about as bad as you could get for a young QB and he performed well, all things considered.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Be dumb to move him. He's cheap and proven he can at the very least be a competent backup in the NFL. He's a fall back plan in case whoever we draft is a total bust. You already maximized(and then some) the value of the pick he was selected with. Don't downgrade to a lottery ball for somebody who will likely never be a difference maker and play special teams on a rookie contract until they're out of the league in a few years.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I’d be fine trading Howell for a 3rd. If you draft well, a 3rd can easily be a positional starter. We need fresh bodies everywhere. We got Terry McL in the 3rd; 49ers found Fred Warner in the 3rd; George Kittle in the 5th.

I like Sam (he’s a tough SOB with some NFL talent) and he’s kind of a victim of circumstances in DC. But, I’d rather sign a vet backup in the JB mold to help groom our new QB. With a new OC, Sam won’t be that helpful “in the room.” We might sign a vet QB regardless - which could make Sam an inactive 3rd stringer anyways.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
We spent a 4th rounder on Howell I dont see the value for selling him off for a 3rd.
I think it was a 5th, not a 4th.

If they could fetch a lock in the top 50 or so for Sam, I’d do the proverbial “drive him and how entire family” to the airport thingy.

But that’s not happening. I wouldn’t think.

CHARMIN.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
from scouting reports and keim both JD and DM are huge upgrades over howell and have much larger ceilings

I am fine with Howell as a backup but I would immediately draft one of JD or DM with #2

Reactions: ynotcaps

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
So when are the pro days for CW/JD?

At least we'll get to see maye on saturday

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Now that I think about it, I wouldn't trade Howell at any point before the draft, because then we will have dealt our hand showing that we definitely need a QB.

The best approach would be to make it seem like we're gonna run it back with Howell and take MHJ #2, and then if Chicago this whole time actually wants to keep Fields and take MHJ themselves, they would need to do it at #1 instead of trading down, leaving us Caleb for free

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Legit from AZ, or a feint? I think it's legit and they go for MHJr

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Yea the most noteworthy data we’ll get is JD’s weight and CW’s true height.

Throw in a dash of unsourced rumors about their interviews, and that’s about it.

They will also take some sort of Wonderlic test so we get to see who is dumb as a houseplant and who could split the atom.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Now that I think about it, I wouldn't trade Howell at any point before the draft, because then we will have dealt our hand showing that we definitely need a QB.

The best approach would be to make it seem like we're gonna run it back with Howell and take MHJ #2, and then if Chicago this whole time actually wants to keep Fields and take MHJ themselves, they would need to do it at #1 instead of trading down, leaving us Caleb for free
1708970215398.gif

Legit from AZ, or a feint? I think it's legit and they go for MHJr

I read an article earlier that said the Pats might not pass on him at 3….things would get interesting then…..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad