OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
The pick is in boys and girls: Drake Maye at N2OA. I’m the same guy who said keep Cousins. I’m the guy who said draft Lamar. I’m the guy who said don’t draft Young, draft a QB. You’re just gonna have to trust me.

He’s 21 and will put even more size on his big ole frame. He’s got a great arm; he makes elite throws to the boundaries and deep middle of the field. I do worry about the level of competition. He definitely has bust potential. But there is just too much Josh Allen / Justin Herbert upside here to pass up. You have to swing for the fences.

He’s the guy.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Seems like a pretty big disappointment if this highly touted #2 pick can’t beat out sam in camp, not a good sign of things to come

I’ll say this though, if they do end up trading a haul for caleb at #1, there’s no way he’s sitting barring injury

I think that’s phony hype…Aaron Rodgers did just fine sitting, so did Mahomes. I don’t care about a draft number and neither should you.

Build the O-line and if they’re looking great and he’s ready you bring him on 2nd half of the season. Or you let him understudy, Sam plays well, you build the O-line more and trade Sam for a haul.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I think that’s phony hype…Aaron Rodgers did just fine sitting, so did Mahomes. I don’t care about a draft number and neither should you.

Build the O-line and if they’re looking great and he’s ready you bring him on 2nd half of the season. Or you let him understudy, Sam plays well, you build the O-line more and trade Sam for a haul.
Big difference sitting behind Favre, and Alex Smith vs Sam.

They have all those picks in the top 100 (in a deep OL draft) and 75M cap space. It’s not THAT hard to improve an O-Line in one offseason with those resources.

Reactions: Roric

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

Nate Tice of TA, at the SB with Chicago media, telling them that Maye is his QB1, and the Bears should take him over Caleb.

This dude is my spirit animal - he elevated Maye because “he attacks the middle of the field.”

Yes! You are correct sir!

Reactions: Holtbyisms

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Whatever they do they can't afford to trade up right now. This roster is terrible and there are holes all over the field. Trading up in an RG3 ish type package would further decimate any rebuild this roster is going through over the next few seasons.
This is one of those things that seem very clear to me: when you have no direction you let the draft pick it for you. And I guess by "the draft" I just mean your scouts.

If you were a team that had a lot of pieces and just whiffed it maybe you make a targeted pick, but if you're marginally/real bad at a lot of stuff maybe you just pick the best guy you can pick without trading up.

In Washington's position that's whatever second best QB is on the board or maybe all of them if Chicago really buys in on Fields and drafts MHJ 1st overall, but I think no matter what you just sit pretty and draft whoever might work best. They'll figure that out more in the coming weeks, it's still a bit of an open field.

You don't spend, that's for sure. Just take it as it comes and do your best.

Babe Ruth

Looks wise.. I'm a solid 8.5
Feb 2, 2016

anyone want to see the commanders play the eagles week on in brazil?

Only speaking for myself, I don't care who the Eagles open against.. and I care even less that it'll be in Brazil.
It kills me how the NFL manufacturers (domestic fan) excitement for international games. They're a pain for the local fans and players, being so far from the home front. And their sole purpose is to expand the NFL's earning potential. There's really no benefit for the domestic fan here..

Seems like the NFL won't be content until the entire world looks/acts/consumes like the Raiders' (moronic) Black Hole..

Reactions: ynotcaps

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Whatever they do they can't afford to trade up right now. This roster is terrible and there are holes all over the field. Trading up in an RG3 ish type package would further decimate any rebuild this roster is going through over the next few seasons.
This is where I'm at as far as trading up for the 'king ransom' that the Bears fans want to drop one slot.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I will reiterate that I’m not a fan of KIngsbury. The Air Raid offense has not been successful in the NFL, just look at the coaching tree. Moreover, I think spending several years teaching the incoming QB this system is a mistake. I hope I’m wrong but I’m way more bullish on this crop of QBs than I am on Air Raid. It’s Spurrier style crap.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I went a completely different direction with this mock. Took an offer to trade back to 3OA from New England and decided to build for the future without focusing on QB. Picked up two first round picks for next year that can be used as ammo to trade up if they need a QB. Drafted three potential day 1 starters on the OL. I did pick up Joe Milton who stands 6’5” and has arguably the strongest arm in this draft class as a developmental QB.

1707318313719.png

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
CBS Mock from 2 hours ago:

NFL Mock Draft: Commanders Trade Up To No. 1, Draft Caleb Williams​

WSH sends No. 2, No. 40, 2025 1st
I think i'll make my own mock and trade down a spot and pick up Patriots 2nd and first next year .

Last edited:

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Would anyone be willing to trade down from 2 to 13 if the Raiders made us an absurd offer?

Let's give it a whirl... 13 overall, Maxx Crosby, Davante Adams, and next year's 1st rounder.

In other words, a price they are not going to pay.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Would anyone be willing to trade down from 2 to 13 if the Raiders made us an absurd offer?

Let's give it a whirl... 13 overall, Maxx Crosby, Davante Adams, and next year's 1st rounder.

I'd be a hell no on that. Hopefully it'll be a generation or more before we have another chance to pick a franchise QB. I wouldn't give that up to move back into the position we've been drafting in for most of the last decade-plus, a 31-y.o.WR and a very good DE.

We have a chance at a guy who should provide a decade of greatness. I can't give that up for a bunch of stuff.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
The pick is in boys and girls: Drake Maye at N2OA. I’m the same guy who said keep Cousins. I’m the guy who said draft Lamar. I’m the guy who said don’t draft Young, draft a QB. You’re just gonna have to trust me.

He’s 21 and will put even more size on his big ole frame. He’s got a great arm; he makes elite throws to the boundaries and deep middle of the field. I do worry about the level of competition. He definitely has bust potential. But there is just too much Josh Allen / Justin Herbert upside here to pass up. You have to swing for the fences.

He’s the guy.

Nate Tice of TA, at the SB with Chicago media, telling them that Maye is his QB1, and the Bears should take him over Caleb.

This dude is my spirit animal - he elevated Maye because “he attacks the middle of the field.”

Yes! You are correct sir!

I had been a big fan of Maye as my choice for a while, but I'm warming up to Daniels now, and Kiper captures my sentiment here pretty well. Maye had 4 really bad games against his top competition, where they applied a lot of pressure and his accuracy vanished. Daniels also played against top competition, got a lot of pressure, but he handled the pressure almost flawlessly - either running, finding the open receiver and hitting them with accuracy, or throwing it away.

Simple fact: Among the top 3 QBs, Daniels had the highest accuracy and lowest "turnover worthy play" percentage, by far. This is over two years also, not just one. Summarized, against top defenses, JD took much better care of the ball and still put up the numbers and points, whereas both CW and DM had serious struggles when they played good defenses. This reason puts JD as my pick at #2 overall.

Kiper, on Maye vs Daniels.
“Drake Maye had three games, even after Tez Walker came back — Clemson game, Virginia game, NC State game — I keep harping on it because I went back and looked at those games time and time again. I said, ‘OK, why were those throws not accurately delivered?’ There was no reason. I think you look at Jayden, how many games like that did he have? Zero.

On Daniels: “I just say what’s he lacking? He had two years back-to-back where he was aggressive with his legs or aggressive with his arm, and didn’t turn the ball over. Runs aggressively, throws aggressively, and wasn’t a turnover nightmare.”

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

That wouldn’t do it. Maxx and Davante are not appreciating assets.

Would need 13, plus their 2nd and 3rd this year, and at least 1 and 2 next year. Plus a YOUNG player or 2. Preferably from the O or D lines

Edit — I would do 1 & 2 & 3 in 24, 1 & 2 in 25, and Kolton Miller. That would be MY ask.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I had been a big fan of Maye as my choice for a while, but I'm warming up to Daniels now, and Kiper captures my sentiment here pretty well. Maye had 4 really bad games against his top competition, where they applied a lot of pressure and his accuracy vanished. Daniels also played against top competition, got a lot of pressure, but he handled the pressure almost flawlessly - either running, finding the open receiver and hitting them with accuracy, or throwing it away.

Simple fact: Among the top 3 QBs, Daniels had the highest accuracy and lowest "turnover worthy play" percentage, by far. This is over two years also, not just one. Summarized, against top defenses, JD took much better care of the ball and still put up the numbers and points, whereas both CW and DM had serious struggles when they played good defenses. This reason puts JD as my pick at #2 overall.

Kiper, on Maye vs Daniels.
Right. I get this. However, those 2 years you proclaim as being transcendent, for Daniels?

Let’s remember that Maye hasn’t been able to actually LIVE those years yet?

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I would not entertain trade options unless it’s a massive overpay. We got to get our quarterback now.

Right. I get this. However, those 2 years you proclaim as being transcendent, for Daniels?

And Daniel’s had two more years of development, and first round talent all over him including a top 10 wide receiver

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

I'm not sure that price would be enough to make this deal work for DC. I'm a hard no on this one dawg.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

I get it, we are projecting the younger, less experienced guy, to grow into the same production as the older guy. But its not a guarantee. Whereas Daniels HAS already grown into that mature QB level.

Its not just projections though, which are hard no matter who we're looking at. Maye's flaws are ones that tend to be deal breakers in the NFL. When he gets pressured, like Howell did all year, his accuracy disappears and he throughs bad balls, bad decisions. When Daniels gets pressured, he stays calm, and makes good decisions - pass, run or throw it away. This may or may not be just experience, but it may speak more to their overall inherent ability and personality. Hard to predict, which is why NFL minds get it wrong so often.

I would not entertain trade options unless it’s a massive overpay. We got to get our quarterback now.

And Daniel’s had two more years of development, and first round talent all over him including a top 10 wide receiver

Daniels OL was not very good though, and he played against MUCH better competition all year, compared to Maye.

Reactions: Jags

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Yes. You like Daniels better. I can understand that. I don’t know if I like Maye better, BUT I can see the allure.

Plus they are the same height. However one is already 20lbs + heavier than the other (and still has 2yrs to grow), which cannot be undermined when looking at the injury rate of QB’s in the NFL. Shit, we know this better than many franchises, right?

Im open to either. IN Adam I Trust. Kool-Aid!!!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Playing against the best competition and that 40/4 season is absurd. I’m pulling for Maye to come out on top in the process but JD is electric….and his passing is near flawless. Very torn….

Reactions: kicksavedave

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Playing against the best competition and that 40/4 season is absurd. I’m pulling for Maye to come out on top in the process but JD is electric….and his passing is near flawless. Very torn….

This^ is basically my view too. This is a very difficult choice, and its possible both guys are studs, or both are busts, but we have to get it right either way.

Unless we also find a Brock Purdy like the 9rs did and then huge mistakes can get washed under the rug :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad