OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Well, we suck again. We got our 19th choice of head coach and I can’t get behind it.
Yeah we suck which is why we’re picking 2OA. I get the disappointment but the fact that Snyder is gone and we have adults in the room hasn’t changed and I’m going to give Quinn a chance before declaring that we’re still ass.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
At least the D won't suck
Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. They have the middle of the line covered but, uh, hardly any edges, bland backers and a leaky secondary. It probably won't be average barring the miraculous. It's still about talent.

While they've got the second pick and lots of cap room they also have tons of needs. The OL needs overhauling. Hard to expect any coach to hit the ground running per se given all that's still ahead of them...and it does kind of make me wonder if a QB is necessarily the right play at 2. Trading down, going OL and really trying to amass more picks may be the better play. At least they need to be very sold in whichever QB they take if they stay put. It will take a special talent to live up to that billing and those expectations.

Reactions: Neil Racki

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. They have the middle of the line covered but, uh, hardly any edges, bland backers and a leaky secondary. It probably won't be average barring the miraculous. It's still about talent.

While they've got the second pick and lots of cap room they also have tons of needs. The OL needs overhauling. Hard to expect any coach to hit the ground running per se given all that's still ahead of them...and it does kind of make me wonder if a QB is necessarily the right play at 2. Trading down, going OL and really trying to amass more picks may be the better play. At least they need to be very sold in whichever QB they take.
Dallas had a terrible porous ass D before he came and fixed them almost instantaneously

It depends who his OC are. It's not all on him. If he signs some good OC and DC I'm fine.

But at the end of the day they wanted a leader. Then why not keep Rivera lol. Rivera was a leader. The players followed him "into battle". They just didn't win, but he motivated them and lit a fire.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Dallas had a terrible porous ass D before he came and fixed them almost instantaneously
Adding Micah Parsons at the same time certainly helped.

I think Quinn is fine and should be an upgrade over RR. But it isn't sexy and there is a hit to whatever shine Peters and ownership hoped to gain. Lots and lots of work to do turning this roster around.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I think this could be one of those classic not-so-sexy moves that actually pans out. He’s definitely got a shot to get us playing much, much better. Hopefully we still put more emphasis on offense this offseason.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Any coach that is scared off by a rebuild with the #2 pick (huge potential stud rookie QB that he can shape) 90 mil in cap, a bunch of picks, a very accomplished new GM AND no more snyder is a f***ing p***y that can't handle any pressure. Needs a cushy environment to feed off of. f*** em
Radio rumor was Ben Johnson only wanted the LA Chargers job

------------

Im fine w Quinn. A leader of men .. just have to nail the OC which can be hard.

I feel bad for Quinn bc he will do the rebuild, lay foundation then some young wonderlic kid like BJ will take his seat when everything is ready to roll.

If we didnt land the wonderlic kid now .. a Quinn type is a good HC imo.

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
Also remember Peters is still there and he's going to overturn the roster and use 90m of cap space to fix this team up

the 2023 team won't be coached by quinn, there will be changes, and a 2nd OA QB

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Radio rumor was Ben Johnson only wanted the LA Chargers job

------------

Im fine w Quinn. A leader of men .. just have to nail the OC which can be hard.

I feel bad for Quinn bc he will do the rebuild, lay foundation then some young wonderlic kid like BJ will take his seat when everything is ready to roll.

If we didnt land the wonderlic kid now .. a Quinn type is a good HC imo.
And as ESPN just noted….there’s no Slowik to Houston kinda guy this time around…

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
And as ESPN just noted….there’s no Slowik to Houston kinda guy this time around…
I have more faith in EB then most it seems.

Quinn needs to nail the OC.

2015 and 2016 he had our old Shanny Crew - Kyle/lafleur/mcdaniel/robiskie and raheem morris.
2016 SB year .. 1st in pts, 2nd in yds
2017 - Kyle leaves with his boy band members and Sarkisian steps in. Decent results, top 15 offense until 2020.

-----------

Im surprised Quinn wants to come here honestly.

Lots of hard work to be done before this thing is firing on all cylinders.

Your record after 2 years will be .500 or less.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
You do NOT pass on your chance to get your franchise QB, unless you don’t believe the other 2 of 3 top QBs are that.
To huff some copium here, just hear me out:

Draft the best QB available at two, FA edge and OL, then fill in some gaps with savvy mid rounders and guys on decent deals. Sit the QB for one year and fire up the tank while installing new systems with a slightly better roster. Land another top-5 pick next year and then trade down to a QB needy team for a haul. Now in year 2 of DQ you can do another layer of upgrades to the roster and this year’s QB has a chance to grow with a decent team around him that actually knows how to run the damn plays. Plus you’ve got two 1s for year 3 of DQ. Not a terrible 2-3 year rebuild.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
To huff some copium here, just hear me out:

Draft the best QB available at two, FA edge and OL, then fill in some gaps with savvy mid rounders and guys on decent deals. Sit the QB for one year and fire up the tank while installing new systems with a slightly better roster. Land another top-5 pick next year and then trade down to a QB needy team for a haul. Now in year 2 of DQ you can do another layer of upgrades to the roster and this year’s QB has a chance to grow with a decent team around him that actually knows how to run the damn plays. Plus you’ve got two 1s for year 3 of DQ. Not a terrible 2-3 year rebuild.
if it happens organically = great

Teams dont tank week 1 and I highly doubt Quinn and Co signed up to tank year 1.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I already lost my hope that things are going to change and get better. We are just the Redskins and this is what we get last choice of everything and the joke of the league.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
No doom scrolling for me. I know the sexy thing is new young coaches but that always doesn’t work out. Look at the Raiders and Chargers
raiders retread
chargers yes

mcdaniel, shanahan, o connell, steichen, sirianni all say different

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Not at all who I wanted. That said, I don’t assume he’s going to be bad. I just wanted others.

So, now we root for him.

Also — it does weaken Dallas. But they probably will just hire Wink Martindale and be just fine.

If this were the Danbag era it would be Dan Quinn, Head Coach and General Manager and President. And I'd be livid, ranting and raving like a demented hobo who cracked into a Mountain Dew truck and drank the stock.

Quinn as a component in a normal management structure, though? It's fine. He is competent. He's done it before with some success. He's had success as a DC in the present, too, and not some distant past as is the usual. I feel better about him than I felt about Rivera or Gruden.

I know people are disappointed, but they got their preferred and highly regarded GM candidate right out the gate. And this GM is able to do more than hire old unemployed buddies from past stops. I'm fine with it. And I'm not sure I've been fine overall (without significant complaints or worries) with a HC hire since Shanahan was brought in. And even with Shanahan, that was "he's the most fine I've been" because his decline was kind of evident coming in.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
raiders retread
chargers yes

mcdaniel, shanahan, o connell, steichen, sirianni all say different

I'd pump the brakes on Sirianni for a minute. His most attractive feature from the Eagles POV sure seems to be that he is eager to say "yes sir" to Howie. Main reason Pederson was booted so fast was that he didn't sufficiently genuflect and dared to even question the wisdom of their path.

I'm unsure we even truly know what Sirianni is because of that dynamic, but he did just let some highly correctable and highly crippling flaws last throughout an entire season without even trying to fix anything.

Reactions: ynotcaps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad