OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Bill wants full control. No org wants to touch that right now and fire a bunch of people or rework entire departments. Headache

Block

Feb 14, 2005
I dunno, if Carroll feels like he still has something left in the tank I might kick the tires on him and see if he wants a 3 year deal.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Well, there’s really no rush right now to hire somebody that we don’t want so I wouldn’t mind if we restarted the interview process.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
It’s gonna be Quinn and I’m pretty fine with it. He has the head coach qualities we need to grow while we build the roster from trash heap to respectable.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Anyone slagging the new owner/FO for this is missing the forest for the trees.

WFT are picking 2nd in the draft for a reason. Harris has already indicated there's going to be some kind of rebuilding through the draft.

What A-list coach is going to want to sign on for a potential 2-3+(?) year rebuild? It's too much pain and uncertainty.

Any new coach coming here is probably not going to be a stud. Those guys are going to orgs that have a bit more promise next season, at least on paper.

They might just go with EB for a few years.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Sounds very much like he did not want to leave DET and gave WFT a poison pill proposal while mailing in the interview and sending signals that gave Harris & Co. pause (most likely projecting his lack of enthusiasm for leaving DET).

"I'd rather stay where I am. Comfortable, stable, good environment, good boss, good pay, team close to the Super Bowl, don't have to uproot my family...but if you're willing to pay me a f*** ton of money I'll consider leaving."

Something like that going on in his head.
Yup.

BUT — you should’ve known this *BEFORE* you dangled your Dick out to be seen. It wasn’t a good enough response, so you zipped it up.

Ok great, but that’s now TWO (2) YEARS of the same game.

Sounds like a complete Prima Donna. Go pound sand, BJ!

• Haha
Reactions: g00n

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
EB would be an awful decision. Get the young up and coming that wants to prove something like building a team from scratch. EB had a shot and looked like a lemon

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
f***ing brutal. Optimism about our new GM may have been overstated...his first task and he blew it, big time. Feels like some Snyder shit.

Hard not to feel that way right now.

Watch them hire EB…I’m almost hoping for some dark horse college candidate out of nowhere.

EB would be an awful decision. Get the young up and coming that wants to prove something like building a team from scratch. EB had a shot and looked like a lemon

This is unfair…he didn’t have a shot at being THE guy. They could have done that but instead decided to nuzzle Rivera’s balls instead of making the hard decision in season.

Reactions: Block

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

WFT are picking 2nd in the draft for a reason. Harris has already indicated there's going to be some kind of rebuilding through the draft.

What A-list coach is going to want to sign on for a potential 2-3+(?) year rebuild? It's too much pain and uncertainty.

Any new coach coming here is probably not going to be a stud. Those guys are going to orgs that have a bit more promise next season, at least on paper.

If I’m EB, 3 year deal minimum. I could see it, but damn it would be pretty embarrassing after courting almost everyone.

I don’t buy that any a-list coach isn’t up for a rebuild. You have one the brightest minds in the game to run football ops, a team where the cupboard isn’t bare, a crazy amount of cap and the number 2 pick to get one of three potential franchise QBs.

BJ should just play the “unfinished business” angle because being afraid of a little adversity for 2-3 years sure sounds pretty chicken shit to me.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Hard not to feel that way right now.

Watch them hire EB…I’m almost hoping for some dark horse college candidate out of nowhere.

This is unfair…he didn’t have a shot at being THE guy. They could have done that but instead decided to nuzzle Rivera’s balls instead of making the hard decision in season.
What part of his season as the OC gives you a desire to have him as a HC? The offense sucked, and he did nothing with the players he had. Nobody wanted him as an OC last year but us. Now you want him as the HC because the top two guys are gone? No thanks. Clean house, get a guy that the players don't dislike and can recognize he doesn't have Mahomes out there and call plays accordingly.

Reactions: John Price

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Does EB even need a new contract? Im not sure how coaching contracts work for a pay raise. But until released from his duties EB is still ours next season.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
What part of his season as the OC gives you a desire to have him as a HC? The offense sucked, and he did nothing with the players he had. Nobody wanted him as an OC last year but us. Now you want him as the HC because the top two guys are gone? No thanks. Clean house, get a guy that the players don't dislike and can recognize he doesn't have Mahomes out there and call plays accordingly.

Im not lobbying for an EB HC hire now, I’m just disagreeing with your point that he had “his shot” to show his chops as a HC. I was asking for that evaluation late in the season, but Harris is apparently too soft.

Reactions: Corby78

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish

This .. this seems to be the logical explanation for where we are.

Next best scenario IMO .. get a "leader of men" type in Quinn who can oversee the D and be a leader, let EB be the autonomous OC.

This requires the new HC to want EB .. I wouldnt force the new HC to have to compromise on his staff. The new HC would have to 100% want EB and not be a "are you okay w EB?" situation.

As we saw w RR ... the "leader of men" type HC need to nail the OC and DC, otherwise it doesnt work.

---------------------

it will come together .. in 3-5 years when the rebuild from roster to facilities to scouting staff are complete .. we thank Quinn and others and bring in the next hot new offensive coach name.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If I’m EB, 3 year deal minimum. I could see it, but damn it would be pretty embarrassing after courting almost everyone.

I don’t buy that any a-list coach isn’t up for a rebuild. You have one the brightest minds in the game to run football ops, a team where the cupboard isn’t bare, a crazy amount of cap and the number 2 pick to get one of three potential franchise QBs.

BJ should just play the “unfinished business” angle because being afraid of a little adversity for 2-3 years sure sounds pretty chicken shit to me.
WFT are the biggest question mark in the league. I definitely think it works against hiring top candidates, until Harris & Co. prove things have really turned around.

I know he's done well with other franchises but the stink has been on DC for sooooo long it's going to linger like a fart in the glass conference room at these interviews.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
WFT are the biggest question mark in the league. I definitely think it works against hiring top candidates, until Harris & Co. prove things have really turned around.

I know he's done well with other franchises but the stink has been on DC for sooooo long it's going to linger like a fart in the glass conference room at these interviews.

BJ is a chicken shit if the challenge was too hard. Snyder is gone. Excuses are done.

Just get the most 2nd most important decision right. 3rd is the QB.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
BJ is a chicken shit if the challenge was too hard. Snyder is gone. Excuses are done.

Just get the most 2nd most important decision right. 3rd is the QB.

He may be a chickenshit. That's kind of the point. He seems to be taking the safer, more comfortable and familiar option. A lot of these guys probably are.

But we have the luxury of judging from afar. We're not him, with his family and life.

Ultimately, I don't really give a shit. It's just something to talk about right now. lol

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Weaver remains an intriguing possibility. Ravens Assistant HC, and DL coach. But also Run Game Coordinator, and helped lead the search for OC (resulted in Monken).

That’s an interesting variety of experience and responsibilities.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
EB is still under contract make him ride it out a year as the HC and then walk away next year unless the team takes off. Try again. You sign Quinn and you're stuck with another 3-5 year Rivera. Take Kyle Shannahan away from Quinn and he's 24-29 as a head coach.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I would be hell of scared to give any of these coaches 5+ years

Im with EB on a one year tryout. Over the whats left list for 6 years

Reactions: g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I would be hell of scared to give any of these coaches 5+ years

Im with EB on a one year tryout. Over the whats left list for 6 years

That's what I'm saying. It's a coach's market for some reason. We could be buying high on a consolation prize, while going into potentially painful year or two.

Maybe give EB the HC job and hire away some hot shit OC and DC for a lot less money and see what you can do to develop what you draft.

Then if EB doesn't steer the ship well enough after a year or two (or 3 max) then change leadership.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad