OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Why do I feel like we‘re going to F this up?

Weird that the UNC guy spurned the opportunity to HC a couple of UNC guys.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Rhule got $62 mill over 7 years with Carolina to leave Baylor. Only SEA and WAS are left looking for a HC. What did the likes of Ryans, Gannon, Steichen get last season for their HC jobs money wise?
Rhule had already built a program (from nothing) in college. Sure it’s not the NFL, but it’s leading a large entity. Not #2 in changer. Rhule also *only* got 9m a year. BJ wanted 15m, purportedly.

To you last Q — I can’t find the actual figures for those 3 — but they seem to be ahead of the bottom 5 (5m), and below the top 10 (9.5m).

So in that range.

PS — Mike McCarthy is like the 3rd lowest paid coach in the NFL. So….no wonder Jerry went with him over a Belichick (20m) or a Carroll (15m).

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
maybe Johnson wanted full control and wasn't being offered that so he's going to wait and see if he can get it next year

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Possibly or ...

- fresh off a very emotional loss
- young and knows he will get many more opportunities (young man thinking imo)
- He buys into what Dan and Lions are doing
- Lions family told him hes getting a massive extension
- loyal
- wants to finish what he help start

basically .. kinda all the characteristics id look for in a good dude to build around lol

----------------

Goff isnt a top 10 QB but he can run an NFL playbook.

Ben better hope Jared doesnt get injured because he will soon find out being an OC with a less than competent QB is a world of hurt, pain and misery.
Uh, the point being he notified them weeks into the process as they were on a plane to come interview him a second time.

Young and naive, maybe. Borderline unprofessional.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
1706663518903.png

I tried to warn you.

It's been 2 days.

• Love
Reactions: Ridley Simon

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Cross another off the list.

Though I favored him because he was an offensive coach it would be a pretty big gamble. So we are probably getting a defensive head coach the challenge will be to have a strong idea of what the offensive style is going to be and then make sure that the drafting, free agency, and player development is their to feed that system.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
So hear me out... Hire Dan Quinn as HC, run it back with Bienemy+Howell, draft the best DE available at #2 overall and call him a generational talent because he racked up a bunch of sacks on a defensive line with all five star recruits. What could go wrong? The coaching blunder feels Snyderish. Can't wash all the stink off that fast boys.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
So hear me out... Hire Dan Quinn as HC, run it back with Bienemy+Howell, draft the best DE available at #2 overall and call him a generational talent because he racked up a bunch of sacks on a defensive line with all five star recruits. What could go wrong? The coaching blunder feels Snyderish. Can't wash all the stink off that fast boys.
There's no DE worth that pick -- IF they take a DE first (and that would enrage me), they'd have to trade down to make it anywhere near getting value for the selection. Even then, the smart pick would be one of the OTs so that Howell or whatever QB we might pick elsewhere isn't a dead man standing.

And let's not too carried away -- not having an offensively-minded HC doesn't reduce our need for, nor likelihood to pick, a QB.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He wants 15m a year? That’s not arrogant?? You’ve got a soft litmus test, my friend!
You’re mad, I get it lol….I'm sure much of this is exaggerated, but I suspect more will be revealed…

Your UNC guy didn’t want a chance to take Maye….seems odd….

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Pretty sure Holtby was joking. Since thats been our playbook since Lavar lol

And for hiring the Ravens DC. Could be nice for him not to move his fam or change schools to take the DC job. Although he might want to upgrade with new HC money :)
Good call, my apologies @Holtbyisms -- my sarcasm detector seems to be on the blink!
I blame Ben ****ing Johnson. (Actually, that might become my standard response for everything bad that happens this season)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Then, there’s the flip side. Washington really liked Johnson. But this was no fait accompli. In fact, as I’d heard it, the Commanders were hitting a soft reset in their process this week, looking to go with in-person interviews, and open-minded to wherever those talks would take them.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
You’re mad, I get it lol….I'm sure much of this is exaggerated, but I suspect more will be revealed…

Your UNC guy didn’t want a chance to take Maye….seems odd….
I’m not mad. I didn’t want him as #1 weeks ago, bc of said contract demands. I always wanted Harbaugh.

Then MacDonald and Johnson.

Then Slowik.

Then Belichick, Carroll, Vrabel.

Then the rest of the guys.

I probably WILL be MAD!!!! if it’s Quinn. At least for a good few moments.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

Then, there’s the flip side. Washington really liked Johnson. But this was no fait accompli. In fact, as I’d heard it, the Commanders were hitting a soft reset in their process this week, looking to go with in-person interviews, and open-minded to wherever those talks would take them.
Soft reset for me now that Johnson is gone. Not going to freak out if its Quinn and not MacDonald. My eyes would really be on the OC/DC hires since those will be huge deals also.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad