OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Mike is the best remaining option.

Why the f*** is BJ taking multiple job interviews for jobs he doesn’t want?

Strikes me as a catastrophic error unless he’s got some potential Eagles/Chiefs HC job lined up next year.

Maybe he's playing some kind of intensely evil long game to screw over two NFC teams

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Strikes me as a catastrophic error unless he’s got some potential Eagles/Chiefs HC job lined up next year.

It sounds like the loss in the NFC Champ game changed his mind. Talk is he told teams he wanted to stay and win a SB with Detroit.

Reactions: ynotcaps

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Waiting this long for Johnson to get the whats left crew was always a big risk. I dont really want any of these for HC the next 5 years of the Harris era

Going to wait and see how this plays out but yeah it definitely negates some of the excitement around the offseason unless they get Mike Mc from Baltimore.

That said, looking around the league... who are the other young offensive head coaches who have been hired that we missed on? Carolina and Tennessee hired two OCs but neither were on the top of any potential HC lists. Atlanta, New England, and Las Vegas went with defensive coordinators. The Chargers hired Harbaugh. It's not like there was a Sean McVay hired somewhere else.

We shall see what happens and then gnash our teeth and rabble rabble accordingly.

Last edited:
Reactions: ynotcaps

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Maybe he's playing some kind of intensely evil long game to screw over two NFC teams
Or maybe he’s just kind of a dick. Dude wanted to be one of the top paid coaches in professional sports despite his lack of resume and then cancels an interview while a team is en route to meet him? That’s not a great look. Can’t remember anyone acting like this during the hiring cycle except maybe McDaniels?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I had a feeling. I think Campbell is likely building a strong, loyal culture in DET and he wants to remain a part of it. I'm sure he was talked into staying.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish

Possibly or ...

- fresh off a very emotional loss
- young and knows he will get many more opportunities (young man thinking imo)
- He buys into what Dan and Lions are doing
- Lions family told him hes getting a massive extension
- loyal
- wants to finish what he help start

basically .. kinda all the characteristics id look for in a good dude to build around lol

----------------

Goff isnt a top 10 QB but he can run an NFL playbook.

Ben better hope Jared doesnt get injured because he will soon find out being an OC with a less than competent QB is a world of hurt, pain and misery.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Ben Johnson staying with the Lions and dumped us. F
I’m good with it. We saw — a few weeks ago — that he wanted some 15m a year to be an HC. That would make him the 2nd highest paid football coach in the world.

Behind only Sean Payton. Literally ahead of EVERYONE ELSE (Any football coach at any level).

Go EFF yourself, BJ. Seriously.

Let’s go MacDonald. Keep Bieniemy, and plow forward.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

Waiting this long for Johnson to get the whats left crew was always a big risk. I dont really want any of these for HC the next 5 years of the Harris era

Should’ve been Harbaugh. The entire time.

But whatever.

This *need* for an offensive mastermind HC is stupid. Just get the best HC. If it’s an D guy, so what??

ALL of these offensive masterminds came from another OC role. So find that person. Lord knows we’ve had enough of them, over the years.

Reactions: MileHighCapsFan

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I do have faith in Eric Bieniemy as being a good OC.

We had major OL and sack problems that he did address and fix around week 5 when he benched some guys/changed up the play calling a bit.

EB had an approach, he had an idea of what he wanted to do.

Sam Howell has a lot of good characteristics .. but running an NFL playbook is not one. Sam Howell is a good QB for an off schedule play.

Theres a reason Terry had so few targets. Im sure EB was calling them in but Sam cant run a play on schedule so that 3 step drop quick hit to Terry turns into a backyard scramble drill.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
No. No that, IMO.

He’s a young dude that thinks he has life by the balls. Didn’t we all, at 37? I sure did.

MOST people’s “stars” only shine truly brightly for a little while. Be it whatever the industry/landscape. It’s at best 5% of the workforce that has a shining star for their careers. 95% of the rest do NOT.

So where is BJ? He thinks he’s part of the 5% and can dictate terms. More power to him. Odds are he’s the 95%, and he’ll be an OC again within 5 years from today.

That’s just the way it rolls, and I’m GOOD he’s not our HC. Screw him. (And I stated this a least a month ago, so I’m not some Johnny Come Lately w this stance)

Going to wait and see how this plays out but yeah it definitely negates some of the excitement around the offseason unless they get Mike Mc from Baltimore.

That said, looking around the league... who are the other young offensive head coaches who have been hired that we missed on? Carolina and Tennessee hired two OCs but neither were on the top of any potential HC lists. Atlanta, New England, and Las Vegas went with defensive coordinators. The Chargers hired Harbaugh. It's not like there was a Sean McVay hired somewhere else.

We shall see what happens and then gnash our teett and rabble rabble accordingly.
I’m glad you are the one gnashing their teett. That’s not a fun experience! 😂😂

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I had a feeling. I think Campbell is likely building a strong, loyal culture in DET and he wants to remain a part of it. I'm sure he was talked into staying.
And leaving 5+m on the table per year, at minimum??, with a chance to lead a franchise???

Fat chance. BJ is a douche, IMO. Once we saw what he *thought* he needed to get paid to be the guy.

Screw HIM.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
No. No that, IMO.

He’s a young dude that thinks he has life by the balls. Didn’t we all, at 37? I sure did.

MOST people’s “stars” only shine truly brightly for a little while. Be it whatever the industry/landscape. It’s at best 5% of the workforce that has a shining star for their careers. 95% of the rest do NOT.

So where is BJ? He thinks he’s part of the 5% and can dictate terms. More power to him. Odds are he’s the 95%, and he’ll be an OC again within 5 years from today.

That’s just the way it rolls, and I’m GOOD he’s not our HC. Screw him. (And I stated this a least a month ago, so I’m not some Johnny Come Lately w this stance)

I’m glad you are the one gnashing their teett. That’s not a fun experience! 😂😂
I really need to stop posting from mobile :laugh:

I think 70% of posts from my phone inevitably have some type of typo, incorrect autocorrect, misspelling, or some other nonsense.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yes. Great point. You are probably correct here.

Wanted a YUGE sum of money to risk it now, as he’s not comfortable he will succeed.

That makes the most sense
Rhule got $62 mill over 7 years with Carolina to leave Baylor. Only SEA and WAS are left looking for a HC. What did the likes of Ryans, Gannon, Steichen get last season for their HC jobs money wise?

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
And leaving 5+m on the table per year, at minimum??, with a chance to lead a franchise???

Fat chance. BJ is a douche, IMO. Once we saw what he *thought* he needed to get paid to be the guy.

Screw HIM.

Ben Johnson did the same last year to stay in Detroit and got a hefty raise to boot. How much is unknown but he still has two years left on his contract as well.

If it was all about the money, he would have left Detroit a year ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad