OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Seems pretty damning on the surface….I’d like to hear from our UNC peeps…
Not a UNC person, but I really don’t think BJ’s decision reflects on Maye. Just because he’s a UNC alumnus doesn’t mean he knows everything about the kid. He was sorta busy coaching in the NFL, and preparing for the biggest games of his life in the playoffs. I doubt he had time to watch, let alone scout the kid.

BJ played at UNC when Maye was a toddler. Otherwise, do we have any evidence he is connected to the program (offseason camps or anything?). Maybe he hears chatter in the alumni network.

But, his decision to stay at Detroit seemed like an emotional one, and that he’s not rushing to uproot his family to become a HC. If he ever decides to become a HC, a known QB will always be better than any prospect.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I think it stands to reason that BJ wasn’t particularly enthused by Drake Maye. I mean, he should be extremely well connected at UNC and this signals that Maye is more of a project in his eyes, not some can’t miss worldbeater.

I highly doubt Maye was even a split second thought in BJs decision. Thats a huge stretch and doesnt have a single leg of reason to stand on imo.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Everyone got their hopes up. We expected Jesus to walk through the door and save the franchise, and we got a random apostle.

It's fine. This is fine. We're all fine here, how are you?

Too early to panic. Ball coach was supposed to set the world on fire with his offensive prowess, and we know what happened. Expectations rarely pan out, in both directions.

When the smoke clears we'll all pretend we saw it all coming anyway. So go outside or something.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I think everyone is spooked because he came from the Cowboys, so he'll be just like Norv Turner. He's not, he's a different person, he's a fiery leader, not a mealy mouthed wimp. I'm less concerned where he came from than his game plan gave up 48 points to GB. Sure, GB is a solid team, but 48 points at home in the playoffs just screams something wrong with that plan.

Bottom line is he's a good leader, but lets hope he finds the right coordinators and gets the QB decision right. He'll get this team winning again in a couple years, I have no doubt. But everything else, like winning playoff games and becoming a legit SB contender, rests on the OC, DC and QB selections.

I'll wait patiently before jumping off a cliff.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I highly doubt Maye was even a split second thought in BJs decision. Thats a huge stretch and doesnt have a single leg of reason to stand on imo.
So in your mind he simply did not consider the fact that we have the second pick and Williams is projected to go N1OA? I mean, it’s not like it didn’t factor into the decision whatsoever, and clearly it didn’t move the needle enough for him to take the plunge. It’s something he absolutely took into account and it’s not like he couldn’t watch 15 min of YouTubes and make a couple calls to some people he knows surrounding his old college team. Conversely, many had openly argued that having the chance to draft a QB at N2OA was part of what made Washington an attractive destination. Others had argued that specifically the chance to coach two UNC alums at QB in Washington would be appealing to BJ in particular. That’s obviously not the case.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I’m gonna disagree big time since it’s been said he wanted an established QB, didn’t want to develop a guy.

Also the fears of NORV crap is just that….BS.

Last edited:

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida

You know what I think? Everyone inside the NFL thinks this is a great hire and everyone outside the NFL -- all the horseshit "insiders" who were able to predict exactly jack shit for HC hires this year -- think it's an uninspired mess. "They didn't hire who we said they would hire, so clearly they screwed it all up and are now left settling for a loser."

Washington hired the guy who just gave up 48 to the Packers, not the guy that made a dogshit defense the best D in the league 3 years running. They hired the guy that lost the Super Bowl with a 28-3 lead, not the guy that got a team with no business even being in a Super Bowl to almost beating the best team ever to win one.

The whole situation just reeks of bullshit. BJ was the frontrunner because they said he was. Quinn was Washington's "second choice" because they said he was. Turns out they know sweet f*** all about any of this shit and all of them look like morons for predicting exactly zero of these moves accurately.

Eisen thinks they're crazy not to have hired a 72-year-old that wants full control. Florio thinks they're too lazy or scared to look weak to go get Spagnuolo, a guy over a decade older with a 11-41 HC record.

I think all indicators point to this guy being a pretty damn good coach, that we have no idea outside the words of these know-nothing idiots who anyone's actual frontrunner was, that we appear to have hired someone we thoroughly interviewed, that there's zero reason to believe that we chose someone for any reason other than that he was the best candidate available to us, and that there was no reason to stop looking if any other version of the story were remotely true.

All those "NFL Insider" dipshits can go f*** themselves. I like our guy.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
48 to the Packers.

So what?

GB was hot then and Jones had the game of his life. And one of those TDs was a pick 6 so Quinn had nothing to do with that one. Another TD was off another INT, with GB getting the ball in the DAL 19yd line.

Prescott threw up all over himself for at least the first half, Lamb was out on a limb, and Dallas still nearly got back into the game.

Everyone was blaming McCarthy for that loss. Now it's on Quinn?

I'm not pissing on the guy's resume' over one game.

Reactions: usiel, Jags and TCB

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

You know what I think? Everyone inside the NFL thinks this is a great hire and everyone outside the NFL -- all the horseshit "insiders" who were able to predict exactly jack shit for HC hires this year -- think it's an uninspired mess. "They didn't hire who we said they would hire, so clearly they screwed it all up and are now left settling for a loser."

Washington hired the guy who just gave up 48 to the Packers, not the guy that made a dogshit defense the best D in the league 3 years running. They hired the guy that lost the Super Bowl with a 28-3 lead, not the guy that got a team with no business even being in a Super Bowl to almost beating the best team ever to win one.

The whole situation just reeks of bullshit. BJ was the frontrunner because they said he was. Quinn was Washington's "second choice" because they said he was. Turns out they know sweet f*** all about any of this shit and all of them look like morons for predicting exactly zero of these moves accurately.

Eisen thinks they're crazy not to have hired a 72-year-old that wants full control. Florio thinks they're too lazy or scared to look weak to go get Spagnuolo, a guy over a decade older with a 11-41 HC record.

I think all indicators point to this guy being a pretty damn good coach, that we have no idea outside the words of these know-nothing idiots who anyone's actual frontrunner was, that we appear to have hired someone we thoroughly interviewed, that there's zero reason to believe that we chose someone for any reason other than that he was the best candidate available to us, and that there was no reason to stop looking if any other version of the story were remotely true.

All those "NFL Insider" dipshits can go f*** themselves. I like our guy.

Actually most of the show host I’ve watched today say it’s a fine hire, just in no way a sexy one.

For me it’s hiring a defensive HC in a league where the offensive guys win when it counts (largely).

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Of all the people in sports media, SAS bugs me the most (save for maybe Skip Bayless.) Trying to remember which franchise in which sport any of them ever led to -- well, even a bathroom. Or an airport snack stand.
(OK, having had 7 seconds to let it steep, I do hate Skip Bayless more. **** Skip Bayless the most. **** SAS second most.)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Of all the people in sports media, SAS bugs me the most (save for maybe Skip Bayless.) Trying to remember which franchise in which sport any of them ever led to -- well, even a bathroom. Or an airport snack stand.
(OK, having had 7 seconds to let it steep, I do hate Skip Bayless more. **** Skip Bayless the most. **** SAS second most.)
Never was a fan but Stephen A has become a favorite for me the past year. His show kills it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad