OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I already lost my hope that things are going to change and get better. We are just the Redskins and this is what we get last choice of everything and the joke of the league.
Hard to not feel very Redskinny right now, but the guy is at least a better football version of Rivera….he can create a great D…..at least we know that.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
It's an upgrade on our accustomed HC hires, honestly. Is his ceiling high? Probably not. But I'd bet his floor isn't disastrously low. Is that thrilling? No.

Meh.
You think? Feels just like a Rivera type hire to me. People have great things to say about him, guys will run through a wall for him. Defense first guy, loser as a head coach who road a MVP QB to a Superbowl appearance. Leadership qualities off the charts. All interchangable between the two.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
No doom scrolling for me. I know the sexy thing is new young coaches but that always doesn’t work out. Look at the Raiders and Chargers
Raiders just hired a young HC after he picked them up by the chinstrap and made a nice little run….

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You think? Feels just like a Rivera type hire to me. People have great things to say about him, guys will run through a wall for him. Defense first guy, loser as a head coach who road a MVP QB to a Superbowl appearance. Leadership qualities off the charts. All interchangable between the two.

1) He won't be the GM. Ron the Coach isn't something special, but he was absolutely wrecked by Ron the GM.
2) He has recent success at his job, whereas Ron had basically nothing but The Intangibles to lean on

Those are the differences I guess.

Reactions: TCB

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
His last piece of work was getting blown out as a 7 1/2 point favorite at home to a first year starting quarterback.

If our goal is to be mediocre and make the playoffs well we got him. Yay

Reactions: Holtbyisms

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I do have a perfectly rational unconditional hatred of all things Cowpukes. So naturally my gut reaction is hate.

Upon further reflection, maybe it's a decent hire. And yes, at least he's not the coach, GM, President, and also in charge of the marching band.

Whatever the case, I kinda hope they tank again for a year or two. I know we expect instant gratification but it seems to me this team has too many holes and needs a ground up reevaluation.

• Wow

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
His last piece of work was getting blown out as a 7 1/2 point favorite at home to a first year starting quarterback.

Maybe just sit this one out if it makes you so miserable. Your last few posts are apocalyptic which is obviously your right to feel that way but man it’s a tough read. The same Packers team that blew the Cowboys out lost 24-21 to the Niners and were beating SF until the final minute of the game so maybe we shouldn’t judge him on one game?

And yeah I’ll take being mediocre and making the playoffs over the joke we’ve been the last four seasons (and mostly for two decades). Plus, the fans are the only ones bitching about this. Seems to be almost universal praise from players and league insiders. Wasn’t my top choice but I see merit in hiring a guy with experience when we have a rookie owner, GM, and likely a rookie QB.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
1) He won't be the GM. Ron the Coach isn't something special, but he was absolutely wrecked by Ron the GM.
2) He has recent success at his job, whereas Ron had basically nothing but The Intangibles to lean on

Those are the differences I guess.
1. I do like the fact he doesn't have control. That's a definite upgrade. But literally anyone we hired would have come with that same perk.
2. He's only ever really been successful as a coordinator. We hired him as a head coach. As a head coach he's .500, not a small sample size either. You take Kyle Shanahan away from him and his record is 24-29. I don't really consider that success.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Yeah, it's not going to revolutionize the sport, that's for sure. He is also the best hire for HC in years and years. So I guess the team is technically moving forward

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
1. I do like the fact he doesn't have control. That's a definite upgrade. But literally anyone we hired would have come with that same perk.
2. He's only ever really been successful as a coordinator. We hired him as a head coach. As a head coach he's .500, not a small sample size either. You take Kyle Shanahan away from him and his record is 24-29. I don't really consider that success.

Please don't presume I am enthused. My thuse level is zero.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
So several thoughts.

Quinn is fine -- and I certainly am relieved it's not EB. And something to bear in mind: BB has bleh run as HC in Cleveland before lucking in to the best QB in history and riding that horse -- plus an always-strong DEF -- to 112 SB wins. Is DQ the next BB? Almost certainly not, but nobody would have predicted BB, so let's not give up the ship just yet.

We do still have the 2OA, and we WILL use it to take a QB who we should expect to be our franchise guy. Without an offensive whiz-kid deciding we should blow capital to get to 1OA, we'll keep our full arsenal this year AND next year. We've got 4 more picks in the top 100 that will help us improve the OL -- I don't thing FA is going to be a big source as there's not much real help available there this year, but there will be plenty of guys in the early second and third who would immediately improve us.

DE is an area where FA can provide some help, so let's use some money there.

And hidden silver lining? Rumors are RR is a candidate for DAL DC -- which, if it happens, would be the best trade we could possibly pull off this off-season!

If we're better this year but not great, OK. As long as we make progress and show we're starting to do things better, I'll be happy(ish). And we should still be positioned to get some real talent in next year's draft, too.

• Wow

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Here’s my wild prediction….Cowboys fire McCarthy after they flop next season and they hire Ben Johnson…and he’ll have about 3 years with (by then) a newly extended Dak.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
I’m a superstitious kinda guy, and this move stinks to me.

I’ve wanted no part of ex cowboy anything since the norvell trauma. They’ve all been poopykins.

Somebody inform me of any ex cowboy, that came here, that amounted to anything. I dare you all…double dog dare!

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I think it stands to reason that BJ wasn’t particularly enthused by Drake Maye. I mean, he should be extremely well connected at UNC and this signals that Maye is more of a project in his eyes, not some can’t miss worldbeater.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
I think it stands to reason that BJ wasn’t particularly enthused by Drake Maye. I mean, he should be extremely well connected at UNC and this signals that Maye is more of a project in his eyes, not some can’t miss worldbeater.

Or, he had Chinese food the night before and his fortune read….avoid anything with red.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Seems pretty damning on the surface….I’d like to hear from our UNC peeps…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad