OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Who am I? Drake Maye or Josh Allen? lol

View attachment 848673

Its obviously Allen. The point is made and never really argued otherwise. If Maye pans out, he's a lot like Allen. If. Key point, if he pans out. There's been lots of QBs who have similar concerns who don't pan out.

I think the bottom line is, either JD or DM could be an All Pro level QB if they are successful making the jump in the NFL. Or both could bust. Predicting who will pan out and who will bust is simply stupid, none of us know, the NFL GMs don't even know. We can all have our opinions and we can all have our stylistic preferences, no harm in that. But none of us know who is more likely to become like their NFL comparisons, and who is more likely to bust out. We just can't predict this.

If we take Maye, I'll become his biggest fan. I'd prefer they take JD.

Reactions: usiel and ynotcaps

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Interestingly, Josh Allen's career completion percentage is 63.2, which is the lowest among Mahomes, Burrow, Lamar Jackson, Herbert, Purdy and Trevor Lawrence. 5+ points behind Mahomes and Burrow's. He also trails Dak, Cousins, Tua, Goff and Hurts. So yeah, Josh Allen isn't the most accurate among the top NFL QBs right now.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Who am I Patrick Mahomes or Drake Maye?

1000007214.jpg

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Sounds like a taller, more talented version of Sam Howell or Rex "f*** it, Im going deep" Grossman

Lots of pressure = cant read pre snap
bad throws from pressure = cant read post snap, doesnt know where his release or hot route is .. or doesnt even know he should be looking to quick ball the play to begin with

I personally hope we dont draft Maye .. but im an idiot as well
His OC changed and their scheme this year was trash. The previous year with a slightly better supporting cast and a better OC he was god like. It’s still Maye imo.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Sounds like a taller, more talented version of Sam Howell or Rex "f*** it, Im going deep" Grossman

Lots of pressure = cant read pre snap
bad throws from pressure = cant read post snap, doesnt know where his release or hot route is .. or doesnt even know he should be looking to quick ball the play to begin with
Yeah but did you see the report on Daniels after his 3rd year of college? Literally undraftable. Maybe had a chance as an UDFA but not as a QB.

Maye is light years past where Daniels was at the same point in his development cycle. Am I expecting him to improve on the same trajectory Daniels did? Nope but I am expecting him to improve significantly and end up the better player by a reasonable amount.

But who the f*** knows…?

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Yeah but did you see the report on Daniels after his 3rd year of college? Literally undraftable. Maybe had a chance as an UDFA but not as a QB.

Maye is light years past where Daniels was at the same point in his development cycle. Am I expecting him to improve on the same trajectory Daniels did? Nope but I am expecting him to improve significantly and end up the better player by a reasonable amount.

But who the f*** knows…?
Passing on Maye will be a fireable mistake.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Finally, he also makes poor decisions, trying to be aggressive when its not there, and it leads to poor mechanics/bad accuracy, or just wild throws into coverage that he shouldn't have made at all. Also talks about how he gets pressured a lot which leads to bad decisions, but does occasionally beat the pressure with a big time throw.

Isn't some of this situational though? JD and Maye both had to produce a shitload of points each game to even have chances to win because of dodgy D play. Maye had the added disadvantage of a weaker supporting cast. So these guys had to be more aggressive, take risks versus increased coverage, and similar versus pressure. It's a "bad decision" when it doesn't work out but "Wow" when it does.

In other words, JD probably would have had similar struggles in a similar situation at a similar point in his development. You weren't seeing most of these issues (at least not in concerning or chronic ways) from Maye in 2022 when the circumstances were more favorable.

This isn't to say that there aren't issues, but these are the same concerns evaluators have with every QB that slings it in college.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
The same Kurt Warner who as recently as February said it's nearly impossible to scout college quarterbacks. Now suddenly he's the guy to believe when he fits the narrative! Lol

Fair point. So tell Louis Riddick. and Chris Simms. and Chase Daniel... and so on... (I know -- none of them are as valid sources as Ero, though...)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Passing on Maye will be a fireable mistake.
Adam has a pretty big contract….

Fair point. So tell Louis Riddick. and Chris Simms. and Chase Daniel... and so on... (I know -- none of them are as valid sources as Ero, though...)
Apparently nobody knows anything but Ero and a few others who are sold 100%! I wish I was as convinced..sigh…but I’m expecting them to F it up either way honestly lol….too many years of being burned as a fan….

I must admit, it seems possible JD could come in and play fantastic right away immediately boosting his team to a playoff team, AND DM could be just as good for a team in 3 years.

Last edited:

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
These guys get this shit epically wrong all the time.

Even Warner says he doesn’t really know.

People are overthinking Maye. He plays for a horrible team. Daniels is a sucker pick.
If the pros, including a hall of fame QB, get it wrong all the time, why should any of us believe you're the one who gets it right?

Reactions: ynotcaps

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
If the pros, including a hall of fame QB, get it wrong all the time, why should any of us believe you're the one who gets it right?
Uh a lot of other scouts and pros agree with me, chief.

I’m not the only guy on the planet who prefers Maye. Most did up until like 5 minutes ago.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Uh a lot of other scouts and pros agree with me, chief.

I’m not the only guy on the planet who prefers Maye. Most did up until like 5 minutes ago.
It's not the preference -- it's the "Daniels is a bust."

I prefer Daniels -- by a lot -- but I'm not sitting here saying "Maye WILL bust" and "Fire the GM if he drafts Maye." Because -- in your own words -- if the experts can't be certain, neither can you. Oops, I meant, neither can I.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Schefter doubling down on Daniels today. Unlike some here, I do think Schefter likely has some small nugget on this. I doubt he's just spit balling.

I've heard enough to believe there is at least a fighting chance that its Daniels and that this FO doesn't agree with the people here who think choosing him is a comical joke. Schefter, Breer, Keim are heavyweights. And while none of them are reporting that's who they are choosing, they are all converging on Daniels as to the team's leaning. Plenty of others have said similar things but those three are the ones I care about and take seriously.

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
What would it take for Minnesota to trade up to #2?

11, 23, and Jefferson?

More?

I have a feeling Minny wants Maye big time. I want Daniels but would be totally fine with this approach as well, and trade back up for mccarthy. Would do away with this incessant maye vs. daniels war, a plus in my book

We'd come out of day 1 with JJ, Jefferson for him to throw too, and presumably a young tackle (hopefully Mims) with 23. Nice foundation, nice haul.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ridley Simon

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad