Player Discussion: 2024 Vezina Winner Connor Hellebuyck

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Sorokin might be 29 when that contract kicks in, but none the less, I believe that is a number and term that is realistic for Helle.

I believe a sign and trade of Hellebucyk at 6 x $8.25 (31 years old) would result in an unbelievable haul. He is debatably a top 5 goalie in the league and I really think he is being undervalued in some of the trade scenarios.

My targets are New Jersey or Buffalo and my ask would start with Mercer or Power. Neither are established star players. Potential yes, but not established.
Power?
Seriously?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I'd hope we would acquire more than that, considering we did with with a 30 year old Ladd in 2016, and ended up with Chicago's 1st round pick, and Marko Dano, who at the time, was a promising 21 year old prospect.

When has a goalie ever returned their value at the deadline? Fleury went to Minnesota for a 2nd that could've turned into a 1st. That's probably the template.

Sorokin might be 29 when that contract kicks in, but none the less, I believe that is a number and term that is realistic for Helle.

I believe a sign and trade of Hellebucyk at 6 x $8.25 (31 years old) would result in an unbelievable haul. He is debatably a top 5 goalie in the league and I really think he is being undervalued in some of the trade scenarios.

My targets are New Jersey or Buffalo and my ask would start with Mercer or Power. Neither are established star players. Potential yes, but not established.

If Mercer and Power are your targets I hope you do well with disappointment.

Seriously, one of my favourite things about HF trade talk is that fans will say "They seriously think they're getting Ehlers/Connor/Morrissey for that on their board LOL" and then ask for equally untouchable players in their own trade proposals.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
When has a goalie ever returned their value at the deadline? Fleury went to Minnesota for a 2nd that could've turned into a 1st. That's probably the template.

If Mercer and Power are your targets I hope you do well with disappointment.

Seriously, one of my favourite things about HF trade talk is that fans will say "They seriously think they're getting Ehlers/Connor/Morrissey for that on their board LOL" and then ask for equally untouchable players in their own trade proposals.

Goalies usually don’t return much even the 30 something super stars that want Bob and Vas money.

To the second part of your post I see no reason to engage other agitated or fake tough negotiation dudes on other boards or on the main board. The important thing to keep in mind is nobody on HFBoards is authorized to negotiate deals for their NHL clubs. This is all make believe.

Just a friendly reminder when people get into heated debates…………THE MONOPOLY MONEY IS NOT REAL 😂

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
The way I see it, Connor Hellebuyck is one of the top 5 goalies in the league. For a sign and trade of 6 years at $8.25 M per year, I fail to see how his value can not at least, be compared to players like Power, Cozens or Mercer. They are not top 30 (?) in their position, comparably.

I would hope this is what Chevy is asking for. We will soon find out how badly he is wanted and what other teams are willing to pay.

Reactions: Jets4Life

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The way I see it, Connor Hellebuyck is one of the top 5 goalies in the league. For a sign and trade of 6 years at $8.25 M per year, I fail to see how his value can not at least, be compared to players like Power, Cozens or Mercer. They are not top 30 (?) in their position, comparably.

I would hope this is what Chevy is asking for. We will soon find out how badly he is wanted and what other teams are willing to pay.

They're also about 10 years younger. Cozens I could see an argument for but Mercer and Power, no chance.

Reactions: SCP Guy

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
They're also about 10 years younger. Cozens I could see an argument for but Mercer and Power, no chance.
No way in the world Buffalo is giving up Cozens.
He is signed for 7 more years at 7.1m.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Just swung in to see what WPG fans were thinking on Connor's value.

The Power ask isn't even worth addressing. You're crazy. Cozens isn't happening.

If you guys are looking for roster players similar to your PLD return from LAK, then BUF is definitely a bad fit; we'd be looking to move futures, not currents. We have a 12 year drought to end.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

We had Ryan Miller once, and his best returned asset was William Carrier. Goalies just don't get that kind of return. You'll probably get volume, but not the big sexy name.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
The best we can hope for from Buffalo for a re-signed Helle involves Levi.

You're right, I was mixing up with Savoie. Long weekend brain.
Sooner have Quinn, if he recovers from his achilles injury.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The best we can hope for from Buffalo for a re-signed Helle involves Levi.

Sooner have Quinn, if he recovers from his achilles injury.
There's a 0% chance of that. However...

You're right, I was mixing up with Savoie. Long weekend brain.
This will piss off folks from my board, you can bet on that. Savoie should be available for a move like this. You wouldn't get a whole lot of extras (we'd have add UPL or Comrie), but Savoie as a return is pretty reasonable if there's intention by us of a deal beyond 1 year. So it's definitely a discussion point for sure.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Just swung in to see what WPG fans were thinking on Connor's value.

The Power ask isn't even worth addressing. You're crazy. Cozens isn't happening.

If you guys are looking for roster players similar to your PLD return from LAK, then BUF is definitely a bad fit; we'd be looking to move futures, not currents. We have a 12 year drought to end.
Mittelstadt, Ostlund/Kulich, Lyubushkin, Comrie and 1st 2024

Lyb and Coms are your cap dump

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Mittelstadt, Ostlund/Kulich, Lyubushkin, Comrie and 1st 2024

Lyb and Coms are your cap dump
Counter will be Ostlund, Lyubushkin, Comrie and 1st 2024, and I'm positive I'm adding more than 90% of Sabres fans, and probably our own management would.

1 year left on a top tier goalie isn't getting you 3 1st round pick assets from anyone. I'm being aggressive by making it 2.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Counter will be Ostlund, Lyubushkin, Comrie and 1st 2024, and I'm positive I'm adding more than 90% of Sabres fans, and probably our own management would.

1 year left on a top tier goalie isn't getting you 3 1st round pick assets from anyone. I'm being aggressive by making it 2.

My ask would be Savoie, Lyubushkin, UPL and a conditional unprotected 2024 1st on Helle resigning with Buffalo for any amount of time beyond this coming season.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
My ask would be Savoie, Lyubushkin, UPL and a conditional unprotected 2024 1st on Helle resigning with Buffalo for any amount of time beyond this coming season.
pretty sure you can't put conditions on re-signing anymore

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I'm pretty sure conditional on re-signing picks are outlawed, so we'd have to figure out some 'make playoffs / win a round' condition, but this framework is the right idea imo.

Bare in mind, Buffalo fans don't want to trade any prospect from the 1st round these days, so consider me an exception, since 12 years of no playoffs is a long effing time.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
pretty sure you can't put conditions on re-signing anymore

Who decided this? Weak.

I'm pretty sure conditional on re-signing picks are outlawed, so we'd have to figure out some 'make playoffs / win a round' condition, but this framework is the right idea imo.

Bare in mind, Buffalo fans don't want to trade any prospect from the 1st round these days, so consider me an exception, since 12 years of no playoffs is a long effing time.

Yeah I could maybe see adding in a conditional pick on getting into the playoffs. Good chance any Helle move comes with an extension anyways.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Trouble is Lyubushkin and Comrie are throw ins from you guys - so no real value to us... you have to get rid of D and we will just pick up Comrie on waivers after the Helle trade haha

We need a 2C - Mittelstadt is that guy... you have Krebs ready to take his place - don't be greedy haha

He's a gamble that he'll continue to succeed - but I want him, 1st and a prospect minimum... your available D core kind of sucks and Comrie is us being nice.

Even ONE year backing up Helle will transform Levi...

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Trouble is Lyubushkin and Comrie are throw ins from you guys - so no real value to us... you have to get rid of D and we will just pick up Comrie on waivers after the Helle trade haha

We need a 2C - Mittelstadt is that guy... you have Krebs ready to take his place - don't be greedy haha
Jets might have to add to Helly to get Mittestadt. I’d add a 2nd.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

The poster with 1 1st round asset and a conditional 2nd 1st round asset was closer to reality. Your ask just isn’t happening. We got a 3 1st asset return for Jack Eichel with 5 years left.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

My “guess” is for Winnipeg it might come down to where Chevy can maximize the return for a guy that wants a huge next contract.

Might make more sense to sell off this season now with retention or move him at the deadline. Does he have more trade value as a one year rental for a win now team? Then Connor could either up with his rental team or he could go to free agency next off season.

The other option that might make sense is if a team needs Helle for a two or three season window but they don’t have to worry about the back half of Hellebuyck’s contract (Pens perhaps)?

Maybe a team like Buffalo or Jersey but the next contract seems to be a roadblock currently and I would imagine that would compress the return on a trade since the acquiring team is already taking on cap hit/risk with a long deal for a 31 year old goalie?

I am not sure how this plays out but I guess we’ll see.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The poster with 1 1st round asset and a conditional 2nd 1st round asset was closer to reality. Your ask just isn’t happening. We got a 3 1st asset return for Jack Eichel with 5 years left.
Through the back and forth - maybe I back off to Mittelstadt and Ostlund with condition 1st pick if he re-signs - I want Centres.

Beyond that its a no - there's other teams that will take him and if not it just increases our chance or re-signing him

Levi 'maybe' gets you to the playoffs... but the East is super tough again... Helle gets you in for sure

And neck-injury Im sitting out the season Eichel got that return... you're getting a workhorse Vezina finalist

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
My “guess” is for Winnipeg it might come down to where Chevy can maximize the return for a guy that wants a huge next contract.

Might make more sense to sell off this season now with retention or move him at the deadline. Does he have more trade value as a one year rental for a win now team? Then Connor could either up with his rental team or he could go to free agency next off season.

The other option that might make sense is if a team needs Helle for a two or three season window but they don’t have to worry about the back half of Hellebuyck’s contract (Pens perhaps)?

Maybe a team like Buffalo or Jersey but the next contract seems to be a roadblock currently and I would imagine that would compress the return on a trade since the acquiring team is already taking on cap hit/risk with a long deal for a 31 year old goalie?

I am not sure how this plays out but I guess we’ll see.
1688440858413.png

The market is pretty robust. So you'd be looking to maybe fleece Toronto if they wanted to get dumb, or catch STL doing the quick re-build. Buffalo's in a weird place where ideally we'd have Hellebuyck for 2-3 years, and then it's Levi. Which is probably why there's been no deal from us yet.

He's a gamble that he'll continue to succeed - but I want him, 1st and a prospect minimum... your available D core kind of sucks and Comrie is us being nice.

Even ONE year backing up Helle will transform Levi...
Haha.

Alright, I'll step out. Apologies for the invasion. This is starting to reach the typical hfboard bad faith negotiating stage. No GM is hyper overpaying because 'don't be greedy'. And we won't 'pay extra' just because Lyubushkin and Comrie were added. We'll find another way than giving up a top 6 forward to move just over 4 million dollars.

Reactions: DRW204

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
View attachment 725966

The market is pretty robust. So you'd be looking to maybe fleece Toronto if they wanted to get dumb, or catch STL doing the quick re-build. Buffalo's in a weird place where ideally we'd have Hellebuyck for 2-3 years, and then it's Levi. Which is probably why there's been no deal from us yet.

Haha.

Alright, I'll step out. Apologies for the invasion. This is starting to reach the typical hfboard bad faith negotiating stage. No GM is hyper overpaying because 'don't be greedy'. And we won't 'pay extra' just because Lyubushkin and Comrie were added. We'll find another way than giving up a top 6 forward to move just over 4 million dollars.
If you re-signed Helle, you wouldn't need Levi.
Helle is what you wish Levi turns out to be.

Reactions: WolfHouse

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
View attachment 725966

Haha.

Helle will wave when he's traded to another Eastern team and you make it to 13...

You're acting like Mittelstadt is your 1C not 3C... its a very very reasonable ask

But you've already gone all in with Levi so why would the Jets take a discount to trade with a team that only wants Helle for one year.... you can't afford him after that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad