Player Discussion: 2024 Vezina Winner Connor Hellebuyck

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
If you re-signed Helle, you wouldn't need Levi.
Helle is what you wish Levi turns out to be.
Perhaps, but our management views Levi as a star goalie of the next decade. They won't move Levi. If it's a Levi-UPL and maybe miss the playoffs, or Hellebuyck, but you gave up Levi, they'll choose the former.

Helle will wave when he's traded to another Eastern team and you make it to 13...

You're acting like Mittelstadt is your 1C not 3C... its a very very reasonable ask

But you've already gone all in with Levi so why would the Jets take a discount to trade with a team that only wants Helle for one year.... you can't afford him after that
I'm acting like Mittelstadt, Ostlund/Kulich, and our 1st in 24 is an insane ask for a pending UFA, because it is. I can't think of any recent pending UFA who got that kind of return at any position...You're topping the 2011 Carter for Voracek, and 1st, and 3rd trade even...it's just so off on value.

Reactions: Huffer

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Perhaps, but our management views Levi as a star goalie of the next decade. They won't move Levi. If it's a Levi-UPL and maybe miss the playoffs, or Hellebuyck, but you gave up Levi, they'll choose the former.

I'm acting like Mittelstadt, Ostlund/Kulich, and our 1st in 24 is an insane ask for a pending UFA, because it is. I can't think of any recent pending UFA who got that kind of return at any position...You're topping the 2011 Carter for Voracek, and 1st, and 3rd trade even...it's just so off on value.
I hope the gamble works out for you guys.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Correct - but you're viewing this as a one year deal because that's convenient for the Sabres... and if you can get it done with Chevy hey kudos to you...

But any other team will be a sign and trade like PLD - PLD got us a top 6 roster player, a mid-six and a bottom six with potential to hit top six... AND a 2nd...

What about Chevy makes you think he'll take a 1st and a 2nd rounder just so Buffalo can keep their team together and make the playoffs? We can get more than that at the TD...

I'd be surprised if Treliving doesn't trade Knies and Liljegren to Winnipeg to Helle... or Edmonton gives away Bouchard and McLeod - just for one year to keep their star power happy.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
They're also about 10 years younger. Cozens I could see an argument for but Mercer and Power, no chance.
I agree with your assessment... BUT (lol)

You also seemed very pessimistic about the potential PLD return to a point where I seem to recall you saying something around 31st + Dvorak + b prospect

Were you surprised by what chevy pulled off?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
It will not matter, since Hellebuyck has said he wants to be on a team that wants to contend for the Stanley Cup. If Helle is being honest, Buffalo will not be on his list on destinations he would report to.
He has no choice on where he is traded. He only has a choice on whether he re-signs or not?

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
He has no choice on where he is traded. He only has a choice on whether he re-signs or not?
If Hellebuyck has stated that he wants to go to a team that is in Stanley Cup contention, and the Jets trade him to Buffalo, it would be the most classless thing the Jets have ever done.

Last edited:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

You also seemed very pessimistic about the potential PLD return to a point where I seem to recall you saying something around 31st + Dvorak + b prospect

In general there were a bunch of yayhoos on here saying Jets fans would be very disappointed in the return for PLD and as it turned out, I think many of us were pretty happy with it.

So, is Helle returning Power? Absolutely not, that’s pretty ridiculous. But will he return a package we’ll be happy with? I wouldn’t rule that out.

I’m interested to see what happens in any respect.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
In general there were a bunch of yayhoos on here saying Jets fans would be very disappointed in the return for PLD and as it turned out, I think many of us were pretty happy with it.

So, is Helle returning Power? Absolutely not, that’s pretty ridiculous. But will he return a package we’ll be happy with? I wouldn’t rule that out.

I’m interested to see what happens in any respect.

Chevy has proved to be good at forced fire sales. The advantage he had with PLD is he had at least one motivated buyer. He was also trading a 25 year old so warts and all a team was buying 6 of the 8 years of service of the asset before the asset reached the same age as when Helle’s new huge contract starts.

A 25-26 year old Helle or Scheifele would fetch a much larger return that a 31 year old version. That is pretty much 90% of the current challenge IMO. Actual final contracts notwithstanding both Mark and Helle are win now trades with poor cap efficiency forecasts that a GM will need to manage.

All we know is so far Chevy and the boys have been asking too high a price or a deal would be done.

I will not sell Chevy short but some of the targets being floated by our board are unrealistic IMO.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
The way I see it, Connor Hellebuyck is one of the top 5 goalies in the league. For a sign and trade of 6 years at $8.25 M per year, I fail to see how his value can not at least, be compared to players like Power, Cozens or Mercer. They are not top 30 (?) in their position, comparably.

I would hope this is what Chevy is asking for. We will soon find out how badly he is wanted and what other teams are willing to pay.
I don’t think it’s primarily money as the issue but more than likely term would be the concern.
I doubt anyone wants to go past 4-5 years.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I said if Montreal was really the only team involved, we'd get that. Still, I was surprised that Chevy was able to get what he did without giving up even another pick to get 4 assets.

I think the likes of Power, Cozens and Mercer are on another level than Vilardi though.

I compared him to Ladd. Hellebuyck has more value than Ladd did when he was the same age.

You can't really compare goalies to other players when it comes to value. Goalies don't return much, especially the trade deadline.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Chevy has proved to be good at forced fire sales. The advantage he had with PLD is he had at least one motivated buyer. He was also trading a 25 year old so warts and all a team was buying 6 of the 8 years of service of the asset before the asset reached the same age as when Helle’s new huge contract starts.

A 25-26 year old Helle or Scheifele would fetch a much larger return that a 31 year old version. That is pretty much 90% of the current challenge IMO. Actual final contracts notwithstanding both Mark and Helle are win now trades with poor cap efficiency forecasts that a GM will need to manage.

All we know is so far Chevy and the boys have been asking too high a price or a deal would be done.

I will not sell Chevy short but some of the targets being floated by our board are unrealistic IMO.
Can’t disagree with this, I’ve seen equal parts unrealistic targets and overly pessimistic targets IMO.

I think if Helle is dealt I’ll probably be pleasantly surprised with the return but I’m also not expecting Power :laugh:

Reactions: Adam da bomb

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Can’t disagree with this, I’ve seen equal parts unrealistic targets and overly pessimistic targets IMO.

I think if Helle is dealt I’ll probably be pleasantly surprised with the return but I’m also not expecting Power :laugh:

Still thinking you can get Savoie for him especially with them drafting Benson this year. They are stacked with young C's and RW's. One of them should be available.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
If Hellebuyck has stated that he wants to go to a team that is in Stanley Cup contention, and the Jets trade him to Buffalo, it would be the most classless thing the Jets have ever done.
ill take the best return over some hurt feelings that he will get over. if that's buffalo for a year then so be it. he's signed for one more year and then can chose the cup contender he wants. he's not gonna mail it in.

he's been on a team that hasnt competed for a stanley cup, how classless has it been to waste a likely HOF goalie's prime?

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Doesn't helle also make us somewhat of a contender? I mean u look at the roster and you can make the case that right now, we are deeper. Yes we have some question Ahem Mark's and Helles but with them, I think the roster is better and deeper than last years

If I'm Chevy I'm working on moving out the rumored D names that are available. Dillon and Stanley.

If 55 and 37 are open to extensions im working on that.

RFAs also

If some GM comes along and offers Chevy and the Jets what they want for Helle or Scheifele, I'm listening for sure too but not sure I'm shopping them aggressively if they are indeed open to extensions

This team with Helle makes the playoffs

Mark Is our number 1 center

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Doesn't helle also make us somewhat of a contender? I mean u look at the roster and you can make the case that right now, we are deeper. Yes we have some question Ahem Mark's and Helles but with them, I think the roster is better and deeper than last years

If I'm Chevy I'm working on moving out the rumored D names that are available. Dillon and Stanley.

If 55 and 37 are open to extensions im working on that.

RFAs also

If some GM comes along and offers Chevy and the Jets what they want for Helle or Scheifele, I'm listening for sure too but not sure I'm shopping them aggressively if they are indeed open to extensions

This team with Helle makes the playoffs

Mark Is our number 1 center

Has there been some news that Helle is open to one? Everything I've heard is he isn't going to extend.

Reactions: GNP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad