Player Discussion: 2024 Vezina Winner Connor Hellebuyck

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
will be interesting if he's on a new team how he performs, given the change in team in front of him or workload. by GA vs xGA this year he was exceptional, best season. by sv% it was his 3rd best.

at all-strengths
1687959705596.png

interesting by SV% the league was worse as it has been of the past 7 years. but by shot-quality wise they were even in GA vs xGA (negative numbers are better here).

the Jets having a 3.05 xGA was about league-average.... but if you see a number like 2.92 was 4th worst in the NHL in the CDN-Division year. this is why i don't always love comparing raw stats/production year-to-year since the league has changed. This season, players were generating greater quality looks so CH37 despite having his individual 3rd best sv% (however - league avg. sv% is lower, though so vs league-avg it's actually his best), based on shot-quality since the league as a whole was getting better looks, it's far away #1.

if you look at the top-5 teams in GA vs xGA: Boston, NYI, NSH, NYR, and WPG really had exceptional goaltending years ranging b/w -27 to -55 in GA vs xGA. so they're driving it heavily (w/o those 5 teams the league average is +7). for reference the top-5 teams in 21-22 were between -12 to -29, and 2016-2017 it was -17 to -36.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jets4Life

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I posed this question somewhat in the general trade thread but this really applies to Helle.

If you were Chevy and only had these choices, what would you choose?

Trade Helle now for an underwhelming return ( can't resign him at this time) or trade him at the TD for likely a stonger package via futures .....or if the Jets are having a good year, try to keep Hellebuyck with the risk of looking him at FA

Of these scenarios, I'd you can only pick one direction, what would you choose?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I posed this question somewhat in the general trade thread but this really applies to Helle.

Trade Helle now for an underwhelming return ( can't resign him at this time) or trade him at the TD for likely a stonger package via futures .....or if the Jets are having a good year, try to keep Hellebuyck with the risk of looking him at FA

I wouln't trade him for an underwhelming return and I doubt Chevy does either.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

TD. Although if we are in a playoff spot, it probably will not happen.

Reactions: Buffdog

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Perhaps teams will look in free agency for the free options and then circle back to trading for Helle if they don't get the UFA they are looking at.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Hellebuyck always seemed like more of a summer move once teams figure out their rosters and what cap they have left. Scheifele I dunno if they move until maybe the TDL? But then you have the own rental stuff.

Kuemper was traded at the end of July iirc as a rental.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Hellebuyck always seemed like more of a summer move once teams figure out their rosters and what cap they have left. Scheifele I dunno if they move until maybe the TDL? But then you have the own rental stuff.

Kuemper was traded at the end of July iirc as a rental.
The summer Kuemper was traded everything was pushed back. It was at the conclusion of the Canadian Division year. FA started July 27th.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I get the distinct feeling Chevy is going to hold onto him and try to convince him to re-sign.

Just desperately hoping he doesn't feel the same about Scheifele and Wheeler.

We've been hearing about a Wheeler buyout for awhile now. Helle has straight up told them he's gone, there is no salvaging this. Scheifele they might try to convince to stay.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
We've been hearing about a Wheeler buyout for awhile now. Helle has straight up told them he's gone, there is no salvaging this. Scheifele they might try to convince to stay.
He did? I only heard him saying he won't re-sign onto a rebuilding team. Where did he say he wanted a trade?

Reactions: Jets4Life

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
So after the draft? :sarcasm:
Yeah lol. sorry I may have misinterpreted your post, as in it assuming that trade had taken place during a normal year where it was many weeks post-draft/ufa.

He did? I only heard him saying he won't re-sign onto a rebuilding team. Where did he say he wanted a trade?
There was speculation about him not signing in Canada again

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
It was widely reported that Helle would not sign an extension in Winnipeg. "That ship has sailed." It wasn't directly from him, but seemed to be on good authority.

I'm not convinced that even Winnipeg wants to pay his ask. My guess is that he is traded.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Yeah lol. sorry I may have misinterpreted your post, as in it assuming that trade had taken place during a normal year where it was many weeks post-draft/ufa.

Ah, well until it's from the horses mouth or a really good source I'm going to be under the impression that Chevy wants to try and convince him.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

No worries, I forgot it was that late because of Covid so you were right anyways, was just being stubborn :laugh:.

I don't know what he's thinking with Hellebuyck, I hope he doesn't keep him as an own rental. I want to cheer for this team and not hope they're so far out of it they trade him at the deadline.

Ah, well until it's from the horses mouth or a really good source I'm going to be under the impression that Chevy wants to try and convince him.

There was some of the most, lets say, *direct* reporting from reporters about Hellebuyck not being interested in Canada. Not surprising with the Covid stuff.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
No worries, I forgot it was that late because of Covid so you were right anyways, was just being stubborn :laugh:.

I don't know what he's thinking with Hellebuyck, I hope he doesn't keep him as an own rental. I want to cheer for this team and not hope they're so far out of it they trade him at the deadline.

There was some of the most, lets say, *direct* reporting from reporters about Hellebuyck not being interested in Canada. Not surprising with the Covid stuff.
Ah okay well that's a shame then. It just struck me as the classic player on Canadian team seems disgruntled so then everyone reports he hates Canada.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Yeah even if you trade him at the tdl you're getting a super late 1st and a meh prospect id think.

Reactions: MardyBum

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Ah okay well that's a shame then. It just struck me as the classic player on Canadian team seems disgruntled so then everyone reports he hates Canada.

He doesn't hate Canada just wants to be closer to home. Nobody would blink an eye if a Canadian didn't want to play in the US. It's no different.

It's on pretty good authority that he isn't resigning here and doesn't want to sign long term with a Canadian team and would like to be moved to a contender. Meaning he likely won't resign if we traded him to let's say Arizona. Which diminishes his trade value a bit to those teams.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
Sorokin 8.25x6 starting his age 30 season so there’s your Helle contract outline
Sorokin might be 29 when that contract kicks in, but none the less, I believe that is a number and term that is realistic for Helle.

I believe a sign and trade of Hellebucyk at 6 x $8.25 (31 years old) would result in an unbelievable haul. He is debatably a top 5 goalie in the league and I really think he is being undervalued in some of the trade scenarios.

My targets are New Jersey or Buffalo and my ask would start with Mercer or Power. Neither are established star players. Potential yes, but not established.

Reactions: Victorias

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg

If we are having a REALLY good year, I keep him at the deadline and go for the cup

Reactions: Victorias

Victorias

May 1, 2022
Sorokin might be 29 when that contract kicks in, but none the less, I believe that is a number and term that is realistic for Helle.

I believe a sign and trade of Hellebucyk at 6 x $8.25 (31 years old) would result in an unbelievable haul. He is debatably a top 5 goalie in the league and I really think he is being undervalued in some of the trade scenarios.

My targets are New Jersey or Buffalo and my ask would start with Mercer or Power. Neither are established star players. Potential yes, but not established.

5 years is probably the sweet spot, but Power is untouchable (#1 OA pick Calder finalist)

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Yeah even if you trade him at the tdl you're getting a super late 1st and a meh prospect id think.
I'd hope we would acquire more than that, considering we did with with a 30 year old Ladd in 2016, and ended up with Chicago's 1st round pick, and Marko Dano, who at the time, was a promising 21 year old prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad