Player Discussion: 2024 Vezina Winner Connor Hellebuyck

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
ill take the best return over some hurt feelings that he will get over. i

It is not Hellebuyck's feelings we have to worry about. The Jets are already at the top of the list as for places NHL players do not want to go to. Ignoring the wishes of the player widely considered the MVP of the team for the past six years, would send the wrong message to the rest of the league.

If Buffalo wants to overpay for Helle, only for him to leave after one year to an actual contender, then all the power to them. However, there is virtually no chance of Buffalo trading for a one-year rental goalie.

he's been on a team that hasnt competed for a stanley cup, how classless has it been to waste a likely HOF goalie's prime?
The Jets honoured Trouba's wishes by trading him to the NYC area.
The Jets sent Ladd to Chicago in order to give him a shot at a sup, after no extension could be reached.
The Jets did everything possible to try and honor PLD request to sign with Montreal, but once a deal with the Kings came in, he had the final say and chose to accept LA offer.

It would definitely be classless to honour 3 players who are not as valuable on the Jets as Hellebuyck, then kick Helle to the curb, by saying "we don't care what you want...enjoy playing on a perennial loser would send the wrong message to the NHL.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
If we go into the season with Helly and see what happens I wouldn't be shocked to see him put up Vezina winner numbers, maybe even career year numbers. It happens all the time with players entering their last year of their contract due to the "I better play good because nobody is gonna want to sign me for that I want I have a bad season"-effect.

Reactions: GNP and ps241

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
It is not Hellebuyck's feelings we have to worry about. The Jets are already at the top of the list as for places NHL players do not want to go to. Ignoring the wishes of the player widely considered the MVP of the team for the past six years, would send the wrong message to the rest of the league.

If Buffalo wants to overpay for Helle, only for him to leave after one year to an actual contender, then all the power to them. However, there is virtually no chance of Buffalo trading for a one-year rental goalie.

The Jets honoured Trouba's wishes by trading him to the NYC area.
The Jets sent Ladd to Chicago in order to give him a shot at a sup, after no extension could be reached.
The Jets did everything possible to try and honor PLD request to sign with Montreal, but once a deal with the Kings came in, he had the final say and chose to accept LA offer.

It would definitely be classless to honour 3 players who are not as valuable on the Jets as Hellebuyck, then kick Helle to the curb, by saying "we don't care what you want...enjoy playing on a perennial loser would send the wrong message to the NHL.
I disagree. Players can’t have more negative feelings about coming here whatever jets do with Helly. You can’t have a number bigger than negative infinity. They should try to honour his wishes but if a contender offers a 5th rd pick and a bubble team offers a 1st the Jets need to be more ruthless.
The jets need to be less loyal to their players and more loyal to their fans.

Also Buffalo should be legit contenders with Helly as they have a great team. There d with powers and Dahlin and forwards with Tage and tuch.

Last edited:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Don't hold your breath. Warning: baseless speculation to follow.

I think what we're seeing in Nashville is the new GM being quite ruthless in shaking things up. In fact, I suspect Trotz started the purge last season, even before officially taking over because he saw no serious contention with their lineup even if they made the playoffs. El Nino, you are the weakest link. Goodbye.

I suspect this slash and burn approach would have come up in conversations with the Jets and probably gave Chipman pause as to whether this was going to be a good fit. The rest as they say is history.

Hot take? Maybe, maybe not. We'll probably never know. :nod:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Don't hold your breath. Warning: baseless speculation to follow.

I think what we're seeing in Nashville is the new GM being quite ruthless in shaking things up. In fact, I suspect Trotz started the purge last season, even before officially taking over because he saw no serious contention with their lineup even if they made the playoffs. El Nino, you are the weakest link. Goodbye.

I suspect this slash and burn approach would have come up in conversations with the Jets and probably gave Chipman pause as to whether this was going to be a good fit. The rest as they say is history.

Hot take? Maybe, maybe not. We'll probably never know. :nod:

Very hot take. They've bought out two of the most popular Jets in Stuart and Wheeler.

I don't think it's a loyalty to the fans vs team thing. I think both groups want the same thing, they just differ on how to get there.

As for players won't come here anyway so who needs loyalty, it's not about UFAs and NTCs but more player retention. We've seen players waive to come here, and players stick around or come back (Namestnikov, Stastny, Schmidt). If you're an organization that will try to do right by its players, you can overcome the stigma. If you're the little guy on the playground and you're throwing the bird in people's faces, you're feeding the stigma.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

Most fans want the Jets ro resign Helle, if possible.
Also Buffalo should be legit contenders with Helly as they have a great team. There d with powers and Dahlin and forwards with Tage and tuch.
Buffalo will not be a "legit" contender, even with Hellebuyck.

Last edited:
Reactions: jetsforever

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Just wait until a team is falling because of goaltending and work a deal there with them. At worst he can be a deadline deal for a 2024 1st and a good prospect. Maybe he resigns as well. No need to panic sell just because.
Agree.

If the trade offers are low now, then it's wise to wait and find an opportunity that provides the best return. I know fans get board and love the excitement of rumours and trades, but the GM shouldn't make rash decisions to placate.

Very hot take. They've bought out two of the most popular Jets in Stuart and Wheeler.

I don't think it's a loyalty to the fans vs team thing. I think both groups want the same thing, they just differ on how to get there.

As for players won't come here anyway so who needs loyalty, it's not about UFAs and NTCs but more player retention. We've seen players waive to come here, and players stick around or come back (Namestnikov, Stastny, Schmidt). If you're an organization that will try to do right by its players, you can overcome the stigma. If you're the little guy on the playground and you're throwing the bird in people's faces, you're feeding the stigma.
Interestingly, I think Chevy mentioned that they had conversations with Wheeler about the potential of a future buy-out when they were negotiating his last contract. It's makes sense, because contract structure affects buy-out costs and cap hits. So, I doubt the buy-out was a surprise or acrimonious. I'd expect that a long-term deal with Scheifele would include buy-out considerations, too.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Sorokin at 8+ million means there's still a market for elite goalies... pretty sure if Vanecek is part of the return NJD can lock Helle up at 8.5m

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Stuart was very popular around the city. Maybe not in the HF bubble.
It depends on your definition of "popular." Most of the Jets are "popular" to Winnipeg. However, I can name off at least a half dozen Jets players who were more popular with the fans, in any given year Stuart played.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Sorokin at 8+ million means there's still a market for elite goalies... pretty sure if Vanecek is part of the return NJD can lock Helle up at 8.5m
I don’t know…Sorokin seems like a one off and a bad contract.

If teams believe that they can go cheap between the pipes and still do well in the playoffs, why would they pay a guy who has done virtually nothing in the playoffs over 8 million a year for eight years. At his age, Hellwbuyck needs to lower his dollar amount if he wants term.

With an improved and motivated Brossoit and the OHL and WHL best goalies waiting in the wings, I wouldn’t want to lock up Hellebuyck for the long term at his asking price either. I would much rather trade him if possible.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

If teams believe that they can go cheap between the pipes and still do well in the playoffs, why would they pay a guy who has done virtually nothing in the playoffs over 8 million a year for eight years. At his age, Hellwbuyck needs to lower his dollar amount if he wants term.

With an improved and motivated Brossoit and the OHL and WHL best goalies waiting in the wings, I wouldn’t want to lock up Hellebuyck for the long term at his asking price either. I would much rather trade him if possible.

Sorokin is also a couple years younger then Helle and that will likely make a bit of a difference in terms of aging curve.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Helle will age fine. I'd be comfortable going 6 7 years with him. Easily. I would tho play him less and give Bro more starts since he's capable but Helle doesn't rely on being athletic he relies on positioning and being big. I think his style ages better than Sorokin or Vasy who rely on positiong also but make several saves they shouldn't make but do because of their athleticism.

Reactions: Jets4Life

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Helle will age fine. I'd be comfortable going 6 7 years with him. Easily. I would tho play him less and give Bro more starts since he's capable but Helle doesn't rely on being athletic he relies on positioning and being big. I think his style ages better than Sorokin or Vasy who rely on positiong also but make several saves they shouldn't make but do because of their athleticism.
Well, certainly you would. Hell, I would be comfortable dropping nukes on Russia and China and North Korea and a few Middle Eastern countries, and... well, the list goes on and on. Neither of us has the power to do those things of course, but the takeaway is...

It's easy to be fine with doing something when you don't actually have to deal with the fallout. :nod:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Sorokin is .918/.925/.924 over his 3 year career so far. Not quite a one off.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I saw a post on this topic today on another thread but the “Big five” goalies over the past 3 seasons have been Sorokin, Shesterkin, Saros, Helle, and Vasilevskiy.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Sorokin is .918/.925/.924 over his 3 year career so far. Not quite a one off.
I meant his 8.5 million per year. My point was that teams aren’t going to rush out and break the bank for goalies, even Hellebuyck. Sorokin’s contract is going to be an exception.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad