Player Discussion: 2024 Vezina Winner Connor Hellebuyck

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
If Helle was open to it, I would tie him down with a 6 year $8.5 million AAV contract.
“And there should be no confusion about whether Hellebucyk has interest in signing an extension in Winnipeg. That ship has sailed. His next contract will be with a new team.” - Pierre LeBrun

Link: (Paywall)

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Players can change their minds. The narrative for over a year was PLD wanted to go to Montreal only.
I would not rule this out at all. If everyone else sees Helle as a luxury... meanwhile we know for us he is a necessity, incredibly difficult to replace

It may not be the smart long term play, but I can absolutely see us offering him the most money and term.

Teams will give up a 1st to have him. Some team will give him $8x6 in FA. But no teams appear willing to take a double hit long term value wise.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Players can change their minds. The narrative for over a year was PLD wanted to go to Montreal only.

He stated heavily in his exit interviews that he had no interest in being on a rebuilding team.

We looked like we were going to trade/buy out Wheeler, trade PLD for a pittance to Montreal and likely end up moving Scheif.

All the sudden we move PLD to LA and get back 3 roster players and a pick, which makes buying out Wheeler a lot easier to stomach roster wise and things all the sudden quiet down about Scheif being moved.

Perhaps things have changed on that front and Helle is seeing that there aren't many teams willing to take a double hit on acquiring him and he circles back to the Jets.

Which is honestly my preferred situation. I'd love nothing more than for Helle to finish his career as a Jet and if we can lock him up for 6/7 years at $8.5-9 and front load the crap out of it then I'm all for it. Caps going up next year, we still have a bit of wiggle room, sign Scheif and we can have our two franchise players retire as Jets.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
He stated heavily in his exit interviews that he had no interest in being on a rebuilding team.

We looked like we were going to trade/buy out Wheeler, trade PLD for a pittance to Montreal and likely end up moving Scheif.

All the sudden we move PLD to LA and get back 3 roster players and a pick, which makes buying out Wheeler a lot easier to stomach roster wise and things all the sudden quiet down about Scheif being moved.

Perhaps things have changed on that front and Helle is seeing that there aren't many teams willing to take a double hit on acquiring him and he circles back to the Jets.

Which is honestly my preferred situation. I'd love nothing more than for Helle to finish his career as a Jet and if we can lock him up for 6/7 years at $8.5-9 and front load the crap out of it then I'm all for it. Caps going up next year, we still have a bit of wiggle room, sign Scheif and we can have our two franchise players retire as Jets.
I just don’t see Hellebuyck being a Jet in Oct 2024. He clearly wants to go south of the border. Teams may not want to take a double hit right now… but they can take a single hit on Jul 1, 2024. Especially with Cap going up next season. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I just don’t see Hellebuyck being a Jet in Oct 2024. He clearly wants to go south of the border. Teams may not want to take a double hit right now… but they can take a single hit on Jul 1, 2024. Just my opinion.

Losing him for nothing would be pretty disastrous.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I just don’t see Hellebuyck being a Jet in Oct 2024. He clearly wants to go south of the border. Teams may not want to take a double hit right now… but they can take a single hit on Jul 1, 2024. Especially with Cap going up next season. Just my opinion.

But the cap goes up next season whether they acquire him now or not. That new contract would not kick in until next year.

How many teams are likely going to be in the bidding for him in FA a year from now? If you want him, do you want to have to win that auction to get him?

OTOH, how many contending teams will have the cap space for him a year from now? How many teams that have the cap space will want a 31 YO goalie? Won't fit their timelines.

Finding a home for players who want the big money + their choice of locations + the best chance at competing for a Cup is not a simple feat.

Reactions: kinghock

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Agreed.

Planning to trade Scheif and Helle at trade deadline also has risk if they get injured.

To me - they should either be re-signed or traded before this upcoming season starts. It will be a big distraction otherwise.

On paper that sounds good but let’s assume for the sake of argument that the players have no intention of resigning with the Jets and the current offers are not acceptable.

If we can’t get reasonable value this summer then so be it. I don’t worry about the distraction if we have to start next season with Schiefele and Hellebuyck. Jets have lived through distractions in the past and will live through them in the future. Its part of the dynamics of professional sports teams.

Jets can’t fully control this because they need a market place to swap assets. The Summer is not over yet so we’ll see how it plays out.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I am back in on LAK. To me it comes down to whether Jets will retain salary. If they won't, it has tonwait until the deadline when teams can fit $2m under the cap. That's a big risk to me.

It has to be a futures deal by and large though. If we are truly in for Tatar, that might be an indication that offers for 55 and 37 are futures weighted.

A deal with the Kings would include retention on Helly, Arvidsson, Harkins to fill LA open roster spot, a 1st and a couple of prospects (Pinelli, Turcotte, Hellenius, Spence, Fagemo). Not too pretty, but that's where we are.

I just can't see how Copley, Talbot and Rittich is a real plan for the Kings.

R Zardo

Oct 4, 2022
Losing him for nothing would be pretty disastrous.
disastrous seems too strong. he'll be 31 and sometimes you lose assets. the positive is his salary cap hit goes with him. it's just semantics but unfortunate to detrimental seems more accurate.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
disastrous seems too strong. he'll be 31 and sometimes you lose assets. the positive is his salary cap hit goes with him. it's just semantics but unfortunate to detrimental seems more accurate.
I agree. There is almost zero doubt Helle long term deal will be negative value over the length of the deal. He has obvious value as a 1 year star to help try to push a team over the top.

Unless he signs a team friendly extension, the extension doesn't help a return like it did. for Dubois.

Essentially by letting Helle walk we would be "adding" (not subtracting) value to the team 6 years from now.

Add the return from a trade and that needle moves even further. I would add that there is no reason to forgoe that return if you are not strongly contending for a Cup.

I think this is not how the organization views it, however. For them, a chance at a couple games of playoff revenue, and maybe more with some luck may outweigh a 1st round pick. Running a hockey team vs running a business I guess. I hope we prioritize the hockey club, but that's hasn't always been the case.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I am back in on LAK. To me it comes down to whether Jets will retain salary. If they won't, it has tonwait until the deadline when teams can fit $2m under the cap. That's a big risk to me.

It has to be a futures deal by and large though. If we are truly in for Tatar, that might be an indication that offers for 55 and 37 are futures weighted.

A deal with the Kings would include retention on Helly, Arvidsson, Harkins to fill LA open roster spot, a 1st and a couple of prospects (Pinelli, Turcotte, Hellenius, Spence, Fagemo). Not too pretty, but that's where we are.

I just can't see how Copley, Talbot and Rittich is a real plan for the Kings.

It’s just puzzling to me that the Kings signed a couple of duds (Talbot and Ritich) on July 1 to go along with Copley. A 50% retained Hellebuyck, who plays most of the games anyways, wouldn’t have been much more of a salary cap add. I don’t think the Kings would be in play this offseason given those signings.

Maybe the Devils are still in play. In Chevy the Grinder I trust.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
The other stupid thing the Kings did was extend Kopitar for $7m x 2. I don't think he was a flight risk if he played out his current deal. I would guess they could've signed him for a cheaper one year extension next June.

Reactions: RabidOne

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I agree. There is almost zero doubt Helle long term deal will be negative value over the length of the deal. He has obvious value as a 1 year star to help try to push a team over the top.

Unless he signs a team friendly extension, the extension doesn't help a return like it did. for Dubois.

Essentially by letting Helle walk we would be "adding" (not subtracting) value to the team 6 years from now.

Add the return from a trade and that needle moves even further. I would add that there is no reason to forgoe that return if you are not strongly contending for a Cup.

I think this is not how the organization views it, however. For them, a chance at a couple games of playoff revenue, and maybe more with some luck may outweigh a 1st round pick. Running a hockey team vs running a business I guess. I hope we prioritize the hockey club, but that's hasn't always been the case.

Since Hellebuyck did not attract the interest he was hoping for this offseason (and floating that he wanted over $9M didn’t help), I wouldn’t be surprised if Winnipeg resigned him during the season.

Hellebuyck mentioned in his end of season presser that maybe the mix wasn’t right with the team. Well, Dubois is gone and Wheeler has been bought out. The forward depth looks super interesting and I wonder how that will play out, especially with more of a positive culture change.

What if the Jets start strong and stay strong next year? Does that change Hellebuyck’s mindset? Maybe this is something that gets resolved in early 2024… see where the team is, see what the trade interest is like, see what Hellebuyck is thinking… Not sure I would keep Hellebuyck as a self-rental unless the Jets are really looking amazing.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
The other stupid thing the Kings did was extend Kopitar for $7m x 2. I don't think he was a flight risk if he played out his current deal. I would guess they could've signed him for a cheaper one year extension next June.

Ehh, I dunno. He’s played 17 years with the Kings and is still productive. No need to tighten the screws on someone like that. Cap should go up by $6M and they reduce his AAV by $3M… it’s fine.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Since Hellebuyck did not attract the interest he was hoping for this offseason (and floating that he wanted over $9M didn’t help), I wouldn’t be surprised if Winnipeg resigned him during the season.

Hellebuyck mentioned in his end of season presser that maybe the mix wasn’t right with the team. Well, Dubois is gone and Wheeler has been bought out. The forward depth looks super interesting and I wonder how that will play out, especially with more of a positive culture change.

What if the Jets start strong and stay strong next year? Does that change Hellebuyck’s mindset? Maybe this is something that gets resolved in early 2024… see where the team is, see what the trade interest is like, see what Hellebuyck is thinking… Not sure I would keep Hellebuyck as a self-rental unless the Jets are really looking amazing.
I definitely get the vibe the Jets will push hard to keep Scheifele and Helle. Heck, Chevy practically told us so.

Value is value, it doesn't change based on circumstances. Giving a long term extension to either Scheif or Helle is a poor long term decision but it may be the right one for the next 2-3 years and that could be enough to justify doing it for the club. It's all up to Chipman in the end.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I definitely get the vibe the Jets will push hard to keep Scheifele and Helle. Heck, Chevy practically told us so.

Value is value, it doesn't change based on circumstances. Giving a long term extension to either Scheif or Helle is a poor long term decision but it may be the right one for the next 2-3 years and that could be enough to justify doing it for the club. It's all up to Chipman in the end.

If we are talking 5 year extensions, I don’t thing that’s a big long-term hindrance. We really don’t have any upcoming massive contract increases coming up. It seems like the right thing to do. What Chevy said is that if these guys were traded, it would create massive holes in the line-up and that’s certainly true.

Sure, value is value but circumstances may drive what the team and the players want to do.

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
In my book it would be disastrous. You let a 3 time Vezina nominee who has shown no signs of regression walk for nothing? That's disastrous. But I think there's no way Chevy let's this happen.

Almost equally disastrous is the fact we can't seem to convince him to stay here long term. With the current crop of exciting youth and new players joining the team, a Helly backbone would be key to keeping the Jets playoff contenders and a huge stabilizing factor.

I said it before, replacing a goalie of his calibre is impossible and I'm not looking forward to returning to the dark days of mediocre goaltending.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
If we are talking 5 year extensions, I don’t thing that’s a big long-term hindrance. We really don’t have any upcoming massive contract increases coming up. It seems like the right thing to do. What Chevy said is that if these guys were traded, it would create massive holes in the line-up and that’s certainly true.

Sure, value is value but circumstances may drive what the team and the players want to do.
To your last sentence, it does. All depends how far the team is willing to stray. Agreed a 5 year extension is not a huge long term hindrance at all. Likely similar to the Wheeler deal, could easily turn out better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad