GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

WG

Sep 9, 2008
I think that's what D'amico meant.
KH said after the first round that the trade (or trades) that was planned wasn't necessary anymore after drafting Demidov because he would've got a duplicate.
I don't see McG as a duplicate of Demidov though and i don't think they can say they have enough sure fire F prospects to fill the top 6 or top 9 in the future.

I'm glad they got Demidov but i'd be very curious to know what would've happened in a parallel universe where Demidov was gone at 5.
The story about a trade unrelated to the 5th OV pick leads me to believe that Habs would have shipped out Guhle as part of the package to get a forward (McG, Necas, Zegras) then they'd draft one of the D like Buium or Silayev at 5.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
The best that could happen is building faster when Habs trade or sign a better 4C that would be there for the next 6 years, for the window of our core players. A trade for Dach 2.0 but we get a 4C this time.
Isn't that Beck? A deluxe 4C who might be a good 3C. Beck should be a useful contributor in that role when the team is a legit contender 2-3 years from now.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
And who are such potential better 4C than Evans that could be there for 6 years? And what would be the price tag to acquire such a piece and the cap hit associated with it?
I have no idea. I just want an excellent pk 3c or 4C able to be match up with anyone in the NHL. It's long to wait 2-3 years to have a legit 3rd and 4th line. It starts with the C, the C makes the wingers better.

Isn't that Beck? A deluxe 4C who might be a good 3C. Beck should be a useful contributor in that role when the team is a legit contender 2-3 years from now.
Yes but it's a bit long. The window close when Suzuki is getting 29. In a short window of 4 years, many things can go wrong.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I have no idea. I just want an excellent pk 3c or 4C able to be match up with anyone in the NHL. It's long to wait 2-3 years to have a legit 3rd and 4th line. It starts with the C, the C makes the wingers better.

Yes but it's a bit long. The window close when Suzuki is getting 29. In a short window of 4 years, many things can go wrong.

So you want an upgrade, but have no idea if such an upgrade exist and is available in real life?

You think the window closes when Suzuki is 29? What are you going on about?

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
There's also no 4C in the NHL that can match up with anyone.
We can all agree McDavid/McKinnon/Crosby in his prime will end up having more pts vs his match-up in a 7 games stretch. But there is a difference between losing by 2 pts vs losing by 14 pts. The 2 pts loss can be recuperate by goals from all the lines. But if the big line beats you by 10 pt or more, forget it, you lose the serie.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Beck has to push someone out this season or next at the very least.
If management see Beck as a long term solution they need to get him up sooner than later.
He's not a D so he won't need much AHL time. He can start on 4 just like Suzuki did and already we are better.
I'm all for playing the guys who will need to mesh together by playing together the sooner the better for our window.

Put it this way if this doesn't happen I'm going to have to ask what happened to Beck's development because he's damn near ready now.

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Beck has to push someone out this season or next at the very least.
If management see Beck as a long term solution they need to get him up sooner than later.
He's not a D so he won't need much AHL time. He can start on 4 just like Suzuki did and already we are better.
I'm all for playing the guys who will need to mesh together playing together the sooner the better for our window.

Put it this way if this doesn't happen I'm going to have to ask what happened to Beck's development because he's damn near ready now.
He appears to be the most NHL ready prospect in the Hab system for forwards. He needs to seize the opportunity.

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
Summer is so long when you don't make the playoffs. It's kind of a weird feeling. I don't want the summer to end quicker because I love to ride my bike daily but man I do miss Habs games.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Summer is so long when you don't make the playoffs. It's kind of a weird feeling. I don't want the summer to end quicker because I love to ride my bike daily but man I do miss Habs games.
Maybe you can pass time by watching all Josh Anderson highlights from 2023-24 season. ?

• Haha
Reactions: zx81

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
So, Evans then.

Evans' problem isn't that he is a bad player down the lineup where he generally showed very good quality as a checker you can bring on key defensive faceoffs reliably. You can win big games with Evans there. The problem is we keep playing him way up the lineup because of injuries / other players not performing at all.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Beck was born to be a 3rd line center. Really good all around player. Might even have enough pop in his offense to one day move into a second line role.

I see him as a Brian Skrudland with more offense.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
Beck was born to be a 3rd line center. Really good all around player. Might even have enough pop in his offense to one day move into a second line role.

One can only hope that this is true. Skrudland was a personal favourite. Now the team needs a Mike McPhee. A player whose impact in a game is noticeable thanks to speed, size, hard work and playing smart hockey. Someone who makes 20 goals look good. Better than Josh Anderson in other words.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

It's a nice and optimistic projection but nothing is done yet. Beck hasn't skate in the nhl yet, neither the ahl. He looks good so far but let's wait and see, hope he's gonna become that famous 3rd center better offensivly than Skrudland. But this is hope..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad