GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's a nice and optimistic projection but nothing is done yet. Beck hasn't skate in the nhl yet, neither the ahl. He looks good so far but let's wait and see, hope he's gonna become that famous 3rd center better offensivly than Skrudland. But this is hope..
Is it hope that Bedard will become superstar? Or is it based on history, where he was taken in the draft, past performance etc…?

Of course we don’t know exactly what Beck will be. Nobody can know this. But he has all the makings of a really good 3rd line center. The indicators are there for a really good player. Made Team CAnada and he just won MVP in the Memorial Cup.

It’s not like there’s no reason for optimism here.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
They're NHLers, no depth would be having no one who is capable of playing at the level. Like when we had to dress Cam Hillis.
We have about two complete lines who are barely nhlers or 7 players in the wrong chair. More or less the same, it becomes semantic, we have among the worst deadwood of the nhl, we finished 28th 2 years in a row, it is for a lot of reasons. Some areas we are plugs.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
One can only hope that this is true. Skrudland was a personal favourite. Now the team needs a Mike McPhee. A player whose impact in a game is noticeable thanks to speed, size, hard work and playing smart hockey. Someone who makes 20 goals look good. Better than Josh Anderson in other words.
I'd kill for a Mike McPhee at this point.
He was a huge part of that explosive line with Carbonneau and Courtnall who were also very capable of playing shutdown.
Versatility is BOSS.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We have about two complete lines who are barely nhlers or 7 players in the wrong chair. More or less the same, it becomes semantic, we have among the worst deadwood of the nhl, we finished 28th 2 years in a row, it is for a lot of reasons. Some areas we are plugs.
We are a rebuilding club that is developing and evaluating at the same time. You have to look at where we are in the context of why we are built the way we are.

Slaf/Nick/CC is a solid first.
Newhook/Dach/Roy should be a good 2nd

Beck, Demidov and others are on the way up front. In back we’re in transition as well.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Is it hope that Bedard will become superstar? Or is it based on history, where he was taken in the draft, past performance etc…?

Of course we don’t know exactly what Beck will be. Nobody can know this. But he has all the makings of a really good 3rd line center. The indicators are there for a really good player. Made Team CAnada and he just won MVP in the Memorial Cup.

It’s not like there’s no reason for optimism here.
Some bloggers said or wrote that MVP in the Memorial Cups means nothing when the player get to the NHL. He was better than some players who will longer to developp but they can developp better at age 23. That Memorial Cup was a snapshot in time of a 18-20 years old player.

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
The best that could happen is building faster when Habs trade or sign a better 4C that would be there for the next 6 years, for the window of our core players. A trade for Dach 2.0 but we get a 4C this time.
There's an old hockey adage: never sign depth to term - meaning don't paint yourself into a corner for the long haul unnecessarily.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Some bloggers said or wrote that MVP in the Memorial Cups means nothing when the player get to the NHL. He was better than some players who will longer to developp but they can developp better at age 23. That Memorial Cup was a snapshot in time of a 18-20 years old player.
And the best predictor of future performance is past success. We are projecting on young players here. Beck’s not an unknown magic bean. He was projected as a third line center annd that’s what we drafted him to be. He has progressed really well since the draft. No reason not to be optimistic about him.

If we were talking about him being a second line center then I’d understand the skepticism. But that’s not the case here.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I'd kill for a Mike McPhee at this point.
He was a huge part of that explosive line with Carbonneau and Courtnall who were also very capable of playing shutdown.
Versatility is BOSS.
I'm missing a lot of players, from Carbonneau to Skrudland, and McPhee, Gainey, Chelios, Courtnall, Richer, Lebeau, Bellows, Rooney, Naslund and Bobby Smith of course, Damphousse and Muller, Leclair and Desjardins.
I'll take Brian Skrudland in an hart beat today.

Reactions: bopeep

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I have a suggestion... why don't Habs make Slaf/Suzuki/Newhook their 4th line. It will f*** with every team's plans and they won't know what hit them. Do it!!

• Haha
Reactions: zx81

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Yes we are a bad team and I said our depth for the most part isn't good depth. Doesn't change that we still have it. But that was Bergevins calling card. Assembling overpriced bottom 6 talent wherever possible.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
You guys think this is true ? And if so, should we do it ?
Screenshot_20240714_011720_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
It's a nice and optimistic projection but nothing is done yet. Beck hasn't skate in the nhl yet, neither the ahl. He looks good so far but let's wait and see, hope he's gonna become that famous 3rd center better offensivly than Skrudland. But this is hope..
Kind of a pointless correction but Beck played one game as an emergency call-up in 2023 vs the Sens, and while finishing -1 in a 5-0 L, he didn't look extremely out of place IIRC. That was 18 months ago, not bad.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
You guys think this is true ? And if so, should we do it ?View attachment 894778

I don't think it is. Honestly unproven players who ask for a trade usually lose a bit of value. Carolina got a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick for Fox. Now McL'Gros will return more than Fox but Winnipeg would be fool to say no to Mesar + 1st + Barron.

It's basically in term of value three end of 1st round picks. I know our fans write off Mesar and Barron but both of them are still valuable young player younger than 23. Mesar still got the potential of a Palat and Barron still got the tools but he as to find the toolbox to put them in.

I think this is a made up offer honestly. We'll see once he is traded i guess.

Reactions: HabsQC

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 8