GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I don't think it is. Honestly unproven players who ask for a trade usually lose a bit of value. Carolina got a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick for Fox. Now McL'Gros will return more than Fox but Winnipeg would be fool to say no to Mesar + 1st + Barron.

It's basically in term of value three end of 1st round picks. I know our fans write off Mesar and Barron but both of them are still valuable young player younger than 23. Mesar still got the potential of a Palat and Barron still got the tools but he as to find the toolbox to put them in.

I think this is a made up offer honestly. We'll see once he is traded i guess.
Not to nitpick but I genuinely don't think a single team would offer a 1st round pick for Barron or Mesar right now. That's just not their value.

Offering a handful of late 1sts and 2nds for a (seemingly NHL-ready) prospect who is oozing intangibles, size, and leadership -- things NHL GMs go crazy for -- is surely a fair deal. That is, of course, assuming McG is NHL-ready and his intangibles (etc. ) are taken into account. If the Habs wants McG then they surely think he's valuable and worth acquiring.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Not to nitpick but I genuinely don't think a single team would offer a 1st round pick for Barron or Mesar right now. That's just not their value.
I think a team would be stupid to say no to Mesar for a 28th, 29th, 31st or 32nd pick on draft day but whatever. Turn the value down to a 2nd round pick and it's still a 100% fair offer for McGro.

1st round (that could still be 11th overall) + two quality 2nd round for a guy like McGro who asked for a trade. I think Winnipeg will get less than that. We'll see.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I think a team would be stupid to say no to Mesar for a 28th, 29th, 31st or 32nd pick but whatever. Turn the value down to a 2nd round pick and it's still a 100% fair offer for McGro.

1st ropund + two 2nd round for a guy like McGro who asked for a trade. I think Winnipeg will get less than that. We'll see.
I think it's a fair offer too. It really depends on off-ice stuff, beyond the contract issue and alleged playing time "demands" (that I don't think are demands) Mesar could be perceived as opposite of a "playoff style player" and McGroarty is the archetypical one... he even captained the American WJC team.

Put it this way: if the Habs acquire McGroarty for that package, you'll see a lot of Habs fans beaming and very few looking worried.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I think it's a fair offer too. It really depends on off-ice stuff, beyond the contract issue and alleged playing time "demands" (that I don't think are demands) Mesar could be perceived as opposite of a "playoff style player" and McGroarty is the archetypical one... he even captained the American WJC team.

Put it this way: if the Habs acquire McGroarty for that package, you'll see a lot of Habs fans beaming and very few looking worried.
Obviously. But why would a team trade a similar prospect or young player for McGroarty? Why would you trade a prospect or young player with "playoffs intangible" for a guy who might or might not have attitude issues if the guy you trade you know doesn't have those issues. I mean do you trade Guhle for McGroarty? Do you trade Xhekaj + Flames 1st for McGroarty?

I could be wrong but i think Winnipeg will have to settle for something they don't consider optimal if McGroarty really asked for a trade. Don't think they'll get a king's ransom and i don't think this offer is real. There's still a relatively decent chance Calgary draft 11th. Just need Vladar or Wolf to have a Cinderella year. Wofl is an interesting young (23 yo) goalie it's not impossible at all. There's even an outside chance it's a top 5 pick. Very very very unlikely but it could happen if Bobrov hits a wall and Ekblad/Barkov spend signficant time on the IR.

Maybe if KH protect the pick like top 15 protection i could see this offer being made and turned down but without protection this offer could become a pretty bad trade in the future. That's a lot to give for a guy who has not proven anything and asked for a trade imo. Not sure an offer like that would be turned down unless Winnipeg absolutely wants a roster player in his prime which i'm not sure they'll get. It feels more like a fantasy offer honestly.

Last edited:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Kind of a pointless correction but Beck played one game as an emergency call-up in 2023 vs the Sens, and while finishing -1 in a 5-0 L, he didn't look extremely out of place IIRC. That was 18 months ago, not bad.
Still an unproven hockey player. One little game ? Thanks for staying tuned, it's entertaining.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think a team would be stupid to say no to Mesar for a 28th, 29th, 31st or 32nd pick on draft day but whatever. Turn the value down to a 2nd round pick and it's still a 100% fair offer for McGro.

1st round (that could still be 11th overall) + two quality 2nd round for a guy like McGro who asked for a trade. I think Winnipeg will get less than that. We'll see.

Depends on if any aggressive GM makes a move and overpays. We know there is interest but what we don't know is how aggressive the interest is. McGroarty is being valued like a A+ or Blue Chip prospect which he is not. More like a stable A and has not turned pro yet. He could be one of those rare types to jump in right away and produce or stall and need AHL time.

Is his skating good enough for the NHL? He's going to have to have a major adjustment in that area and how he adapts his game. Said it before and will say it again... fans need to be reminded of Borgstrom. Go check out his NCAA stats.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
“A winning habit” suggested bringing back Hoffman. There must be nobody left. It was a list with Sprong, Pacioretty, JVR and others, but wow.
When people say "a move for the sake of a move" this is what they mean.

I'd be surprised if Hoffman's in the league next season. If he couldn't hang on with the worst team in the league last year, I can't see another team picking him up.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
i only want Necas, they can keep everyone else

With Kuzy going to Russia, Carolina has the money to pay him now. I don't see them trading him this year. He's 2 years from UFA, though. If they can't sign him long-term next summer or decide they don't want to, he could be traded or they'll keep him for another year & let him walk like Teravainen and Trochek.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
“A winning habit” suggested bringing back Hoffman. There must be nobody left. It was a list with Sprong, Pacioretty, JVR and others, but wow.
Bring back The Hoff!!! With him and Yoel da core is complete and we make da playoffs.

• Love
Reactions: the

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
They aren't getting anyone else, maybe Laine if he comes out of the program.

It'll be another long season in 2024-2025.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
They aren't getting anyone else, maybe Laine if he comes out of the program.

It'll be another long season in 2024-2025.
I think they’ll be better assuming they stay healthy. Dach alone will solidify the 2nd line and kids are all a little older and seasoned. That being said, a last year of bottom 10 wouldn’t be the worst to finish off the rebuild and have several 10’s of millions in cap and open roster spots for 2025-26 season.

Still lots of time left before season starts and no one Habs were rumoured to be looking at have moved yet so still possible to get them.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think they’ll be better assuming they stay healthy. Dach alone will solidify the 2nd line and kids are all a little older and seasoned. That being said, a last year of bottom 10 wouldn’t be the worst to finish off the rebuild and have several 10’s of millions in cap and open roster spots for 2025-26 season.

Still lots of time left before season starts and no one Habs were rumoured to be looking at have moved yet so still possible to get them.
Sprong went for 1 year $975k.

Jeezus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad