OT: Video Game Thread Part VIII

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
“I don’t know what to do because I’ve never played DnD” to this in 2 posts. <3

You’ll be on HeroForge getting minis of your characters by the time you get to the end.
Just because I've never played doesn't mean I never wanted to! I'm just hoping I didn't hamstring myself immediately with my character choices. I was trying to sus out wtf was going on so I had a build that makes half sense.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Started Baldurs Gate. For someone who hasn't ever played dnd, that is very much a lot to slog through lol

I just started it last week!

Splitting time between that and FF7 Rebirth.
Still not comfortable with the combat yet so I’ve just been just talking my way out of possible combat situations…or just fleeing lol.

• Haha
Reactions: DancingPanther

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018

Still not comfortable with the combat yet so I’ve just been just talking my way out of possible combat situations…or just fleeing lol.
Yeah I'm really trying to get the hang of playing to my character's strength

Reactions: TB87

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
One email gave me more joy than the Flyers have in 4+ years.

Screenshot_20240813-090230_Gmail.jpg

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019

The beauty of the D&D/BG3 combat is that just about any combination of party members is viable, so just have fun with it.

Early on, Grease (bottle or spell) and anything that creates an ice surface (spells, scrolls, staves, cantrips, arrows) are great for crowd control. You can also chuck a bottle of alchemist fire on the grease to light it up and cause fire damage.

Generally, if you need healing in combat, use potions. The exception is on a downed ally - it's good to use a spell (or toss a healing potion on them, or help them up if you're standing next to them) because it gives the enemy an extra distraction (and helps prevent character death). Outside of combat, use spells. Aid is especially useful as it increases your HP max and lasts until long rest.

Focus fire is a valid strategy, especially against magic users or strong opponents with multiple attacks.

Buffs and debuffs are fun but not necessary unless you're on Tactician or higher. My faves early on are Bane and Bless.

You can dip your weapon in any element around you (fire, poison, grease, ice) or any vial you may have in your inventory. Great for extra elemental damage.

Stealth attacks are great and can achieve two things - major damage, and "surprising" the enemy so they lose their next turn.

Think creatively. There are so many ways to win battles. Place explosive barrels in strategic locations and blow them up. Shoot down hanging objects onto the enemy. Shove them into the abyss. Toss them on another enemy. Funnel them through a door and create a chokepoint.

If you have two or more party members right next to each other in the initiative order, you can take their turns in any order.

Also, side note, send any food or camping supplies you pick up straight to camp. They won't clog up your inventory and are always available to you when you camp.

Happy slaying!

Last edited:

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
The beauty of the D&D/BG3 combat is that just about any combination of party members is viable, so just have fun with it.

Early on, Grease (bottle or spell) and anything that creates an ice surface (spells, scrolls, staves, cantrips, arrows) are great for crowd control. You can also chuck a bottle of alchemist fire on the grease to light it up and cause fire damage.

Generally, if you need healing in combat, use potions. The exception is on a downed ally - it's good to use a spell (or toss a healing potion on them, or help them up if you're standing next to them) because it gives the enemy an extra distraction (and helps prevent character death). Outside of combat, use spells. Aid is especially useful as it increases your HP max and lasts until long rest.

Focus fire is a valid strategy, especially against magic users or strong opponents with multiple attacks.

Buffs and debuffs are fun but not necessary unless you're on Tactician or higher. My faves early on are Bane and Bless.

You can dip your weapon in any element around you (fire, poison, grease, ice) or any vial you may have in your inventory. Great for extra elemental damage.

Stealth attacks are great and can achieve two things - major damage, and "surprising" the enemy so they lose their next turn.

Think creatively. There are so many ways to win battles. Place explosive barrels in strategic locations and blow them up. Shoot down hanging objects onto the enemy. Shove them into the abyss. Toss them on another enemy. Funnel them through a door and create a chokepoint.

If you have two or more party members right next to each other in the initiative order, you can take their turns in any order.

Also, side note, send any food or camping supplies you pick up straight to camp. They won't clog up your inventory and are always available to you when you camp.

Happy slaying!

This is going to be incredibly helpful! Thank you so much!

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Hakroach

Veteran Presence
Jan 4, 2005
Helsinki

Another inventory related side note, add all sellable stuff to "wares" when picking them up. Things like the weapons and armor you're not going to use. Also gems. Everything designated as wares can be sold with a single click when trading with a merchant.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Another inventory related side note, add all sellable stuff to "wares" when picking them up. Things like the weapons and armor you're not going to use. Also gems. Everything designated as wares can be sold with a single click when trading with a merchant.

Books, notes, and other written material can also safely be sent to camp (or sold if you don't care to keep them). There are very few books you need to actually give to someone or use. Once you "read" them, the knowledge is added to your quest information.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
My draft blurb on Milton was that he can't run the Tecmo Bowl playbook and that has 4 plays.
Just for old times sake, these were the only 2 plays you needed in Tecmo. The left was a TD to Rice (sometimes Taylor) on the bottom of the screen.

The play on the right was the ultimate 3rd down conversation play, because Brent Jones would always go right over the line and sit in the middle. On the rare occasions he was covered, you throw the screen and hope. But even if they call the zero blitz, you could still hit Jones if you were quick. Then you dance on your own all the way to the end zone
oar2.jpg

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY

Happy slaying!
I've been putting off gettitthjs because I wasn't sure if I should do it on PC or PS5 due to which friends I'd play with but I nerd something new regardless. I can't play Elden Ring anymore. I beat the damn DLC, I'm burned out. But I have that one friend with latent autism that just gets bored with everything that's not a Souls game and he's the only one that's usually looking to play anything together. The other friend who already played BG3 has it on PC. Just don't know...

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I've been putting off gettitthjs because I wasn't sure if I should do it on PC or PS5 due to which friends I'd play with but I nerd something new regardless. I can't play Elden Ring anymore. I beat the damn DLC, I'm burned out. But I have that one friend with latent autism that just gets bored with everything that's not a Souls game and he's the only one that's usually looking to play anything together. The other friend who already played BG3 has it on PC. Just don't know...

I played it on XBOX Series X, and it was surprisingly really great. First time I've played a cRPG on console, and there are definitely actions that are quicker with keyboard and mouse, but exploration is much better with a controller. You get used to the radial wheels pretty fast.

Is playing solo a no-go for you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad