Patriots/NFL 2024 Playoffs Part 3: Chiefs SB Parade mass shooting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Coleman was driving the Florida State offense as much as Travis was last year.

Big and fast guy (6'4 215) who excels at making plays in traffic, but has some issues with consistency. He's not a cant miss guy, but definitely someone to spend a 2nd on.
I know they DESPERATELY need WR help, but I think the tackle position/offensive line needs to be addressed just as much. I’d go as far to say that they should try to acquire another first rounder to address it.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
If Williams and Daniels are nos. 1 and 2, how could the Patriots not take the future hall of fame receiver at number three?
Maybe they like Drake Maye a lot?

I'm basically at the point where I think if the Patriots like one of the QBs available to them at #3, then they should take them. If they're not sold on whatever QB is there, then I think they need to trade down.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts

I'm basically at the point where I think if the Patriots like one of the QBs available to them at #3, then they should take them. If they're not sold on whatever QB is there, then I think they need to trade down.
I’m not sold on Maye. Maybe they see something I don’t.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
If Williams and Daniels are nos. 1 and 2, how could the Patriots not take the future hall of fame receiver at number three?
I’d think you’d have to take Maye at 3 if that’s the case. Throw some money at Calvin Ridley in free agency. MHJ looks great, but this team isn’t ready for him at this point imo.

With that said I wouldn’t be upset if they do draft him at 3. They haven’t had a stud at WR since Moss

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts

I’m curious if Chicago will look to trade from 9 into the 3-4 spot. Walking away with Williams & MHJ would make headlines in Chicago.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

Patriots ‘Dynasty’ documentary reveals how bad Brady-Belichick relationship had gotten​

FOXBOROUGH, MA - JANUARY 13:  Head coach Bill Belichick of the New England Patriots reacts as Tom Brady #12 looks on before the AFC Divisional Playoff game against the Tennessee Titans  at Gillette Stadium on January 13, 2018 in Foxborough, Massachusetts.  (Photo by Maddie Meyer/Getty Images)

By Chad Graff
6h ago

In the video, Tom Brady sits with his legs crossed and looks into the camera. He’s trying to express just how bad things had gotten between him and Bill Belichick in the late 2010s, toward the end of their 20-year run together with the New England Patriots.
By now, everyone knows how that time ended — with Brady fleeing the often-miserable ship Belichick presided over for greener pastures in Tampa Bay. Belichick didn’t offer the two-year, $50 million contract Brady wanted, one that would have given the legendary quarterback the stability he sought. For years, that has been viewed as the main reason Brady didn’t return to the Patriots.
ADVERTISEMENT

But as part of a new 10-episode documentary on the Patriots dynasty, Brady makes clear his departure had more to do with who was coaching the team than the amount of money he was offered.
“Me and coach Belichick, we did what we loved and competed for 20 years together,” Brady said. “But I wasn’t going to sign another contract (in New England) even if I wanted to play until (I was) 50. Based on how things had gone, I wasn’t going to sign up for more of it.”
On Friday, Apple TV+ is unveiling “The Dynasty,” a lengthy documentary with two episodes dropping every Friday for the next five weeks. It’s proclaimed to be a look at the Patriots between 2000 and 2020, and it covers Brady’s rise to prominence after Drew Bledsoe’s injury, how the Pats navigated three Super Bowls in four years, the controversies that followed and how a second dynasty grew before eventually tumbling amid fractured relationships. Those early episodes are worthwhile for Patriots fans who want to relive the early years of the dynasty. And the middle episodes are worthwhile for Patriots haters who want to revel in some new details about Spygate, Deflategate and the team’s other indiscretions.

But more than anything, the documentary feels like a referendum on how bad the Brady-Belichick relationship got and why it never had a storybook ending with the two riding off together into the sunset. Even though the interviews were conducted months before the Patriots split with Belichick, the subjects in it — including Brady, Belichick, Patriots owner Robert Kraft, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and nearly every well-known Patriots player over the last two decades (except, notably, Jerod Mayo) — speak openly about the all-encompassing, dictatorial style with which Belichick ran the Patriots.
ADVERTISEMENT

Players, including several still on the roster, disclose just how difficult it was playing for Belichick. “It was brutal,” Matthew Slater said. Rob Gronkowski described pulling up to 1 Patriot Place and not wanting to get out of his car to go into work. Wes Welker compared Brady to an abused dog for continually going back to work for Belichick.
ESPN made local headlines last month when a story following Belichick’s departure from the Patriots quoted someone referring to this forthcoming documentary as an “infomercial” for Kraft’s Pro Football Hall of Fame candidacy. This documentary, which The Athletic was allowed to screen for this review, is not that. It’s much more focused on the relationship between Brady and Belichick and, in totality, it’s the most comprehensive view yet of how miserable people in the building were in the final years of their dynasty. Or at least that’s the juiciest, most interesting part.
go-deeper
GO DEEPER
Howe: It was never Bill Belichick or Tom Brady: They carried the Pats to glory together

The first few episodes touch on the start of the Patriots dynasty. It’s still interesting all these years later to hear from Bledsoe and Brady about that injury-sparked transition, even if those early episodes won’t yield many headlines. The middle episodes (specifically the fourth, sixth and seventh) focus on Spygate, Aaron Hernandez’s arrest and Deflategate, respectively. There are captivating moments in those too, including a re-enactment from Robyn Glaser (who was recently named the Patriots’ executive vice president of football business and senior advisor to the head coach) of smashing the Spygate tapes with a hammer.
Those early episodes are worthwhile for fans who want to relive the glory days, and the middle ones are interesting, even if the series slowed down and occasionally dragged a bit in those parts. The documentary, it should be noted, doesn’t get into Belichick’s departure from the team last month or Mayo’s promotion to head coach via Kraft’s little-known succession plan.
go-deeper
GO DEEPER
Inside Bill Belichick's downfall after 24 years, 6 titles with the Patriots

For football fans less inclined to enjoy the shots of confetti falling on the Patriots, the documentary really picks up steam over the last four episodes when examining the splintering of Brady and Belichick’s relationship.
Brady, even while dodging a couple of the more pointed topics brought up by Emmy-winning director Matthew Hamachek — who also directed HBO’s Tiger Woods documentary in 2021 — is more blunt than usual. So is Kraft. Belichick, predictably, doesn’t say much. Perhaps his most interesting comment comes when dodging a question from Hamachek about why Malcolm Butler was benched in Super Bowl LII.
ADVERTISEMENT

“Matt, we’ve talked about that,” Belichick says without any further explanation, implying some kind of agreement between the coach and director about avoiding that topic.
Former teammates, and occasionally Kraft too, are the ones who speak most directly about how bad the relationship between Brady and Belichick was. They describe a hostile work environment and miserable atmosphere inside the team’s headquarters.
The payoff from those final four episodes makes the overview of the Patriots from 2000 to 2015 worthwhile. The ending may not be enjoyable for Patriots fans. It leaves one with a feeling of what could’ve been had Belichick’s style been a bit different or had Brady been willing to deal with it a bit longer.
But on the whole, the documentary is gripping and a worthwhile watch, one that reveals how bad things had gotten with the Patriots before Brady’s departure.
As Kraft says, “Tom and I had a number of discussions about how Bill treated him. Tommy is very sensitive. He was always looking for Bill’s approval, almost in a father-son kind of way. And that’s not Bill’s style ever to give that.”

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Tom Brady is a f***ing baby who got special treatment to bring his personal fraud into the locker room where said fraud then began undermining the medical staff by telling other players to ignore the Pats' experts.

When that happened Belichick correctly barred Guerrero from the locker room and Brady quit on a team coming off three titles in five years.

Now we all get to hear him shit on the organization and Belichick again. I f***ing hate him. I wish he'd move to Siberia. Take that f***ing snake Gronk with you. Sorry it sucked being part of the greatest team in NFL history for an unprecedented run.

I hope Daniels does go 2nd. Drake Maye is a victim of prospect fatigue and lack of talent around him. If Maye was throwing to Malik Nabers and Brian Thomas there wouldn't be any debate about who should go 2nd overall.

I've never even considered they could get Maye because it seemed insane he'd drop past 2. If he's there I'd get his name to the podium so fast I'd go back in time.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I just wanted whichever prospect was left out of MHJ and Maye. If both are available at their spot, that's such a gluttony of riches to choose from that Jonathan Kraft will probably seize up and Goodell will walk to the podium and announce "with the third pick in the 2024 NFL Draft the New England Patriots select Zach Senyshyn, Sault Ste. Marie."

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
“The crazy thing about it, this is so Patriots, right?” Michel said. “So I get drafted, first round. And I’m watching every other first-round (pick), Calvin Ridley get drafted first round, and them boys send a jet, every team send those boys a jet. Everybody got a jet.

“Not lying, they put me on a Southwest flight. You got to pick your seat, yeah, you pick your seat. So I was just like, ‘Man, I couldn’t even get the experience on the jet.'”

Kraft being on the offensive and blaming Belichick for them being the lowest real cash spending team in the league the last decade then Sony Michel saying they sent him on a budget airline after drafting him was hilarious. You think Belichick was deciding how to fly in first round picks as well?

Reactions: McGarnagle

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
My least favorite part of being a Patriots fan these days is the idea that I should look back at an NFL dynasty that was unrivaled in its longevity and retroactively assign blame to / spew venom towards one of the three major architects for the fact that it didn't last longer.

Agreed.

The three of them were able to keep it together and stay on top for 20 years. That's at least 3x if not 4x longer than any other NFL dynasty was able to do it. Everything has an expiration date.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Brady wanted to keep playing, get paid his worth and surround himself with his crew of players, doctors, trainers, etc. Bill wanted to have foundations for a sustainable life after their 42 year old QB inevitably moved on.

From a starting point of the summer of 2017, you could've committed hard to Tom, perhaps pushing Belichick out the door and loaded up as much as they could for as long as Brady kept playing before a hard reset. Or you could've got your succession plan in place with Jimmy, not throwing away draft picks on skill players or leveraging so much to compete those last couple years in order to have a smoother transition to the post-Brady years, even if that probably costs them the 2018 title in exchange for sustainable success in the following seasons and not crashing into mediocrity so quickly.

Kraft is the one who meddled and gave in to Brady enough to remove Jenga pieces from the bottom of the stack from the future by forcing the Jimmy trade and throwing a bunch of future draft picks away on Sanu, but not enough to actually keep Brady in town following that year. So basically everyone was left pantsed when Brady walked. This off-season has really highlighted for me how much Kraft is the one who blew it up, not Bill or Tom.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Couldn't pay me to attend a big ass rally like this anymore. I went to the Pats one at city hall. Not sure what year. It wasn't a rolling rally to my memory. Just city hall. I think it was 03? Not too sure. I just remember walking a LONG time. Couldn't see much. But it was an experience. Now? No thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad