Patriots/NFL 2024 Playoffs Part 3: Chiefs SB Parade mass shooting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
>thinks I'm defending Belichick's tenure without Brady

lol

lmao even

The only joke here is your argument that Rex Ryan was a decent head coach with the Jets and the Bills. The difference between Belichick's final years in New England vs Ryan's tenure with the Jets is that Belichick was at the end of his rope just like Tom Landry was in Dallas while Ryan was at the ceiling of what he could do as a coach. When the going got tough, Rex caved like a house of cards. Belichick's biggest mistake was always his stubbornness getting in the way of making the right decision and sabotaging himself as a GM. Even as much as I wanted Bill fired, I have to admit the fact he was able to rebuild the defense to be as strong as it was stands as a testament to his ability to get the most out of players on the defensive side of the ball. Rex always needed high end talent to bail him out on both sides of the ball to be halfway competitive.

I'm not going to even bother arguing Cleveland because that's ancient history and a completely different league, arguably a better one that was more competitive and a higher standard of play to the way it is now. And while there are behaviors that Bill carried over from his Cleveland days once Brady left for Tampa Bay, which I have pointed out mind you, he still built a competitive team before the wheels fell off thanks to his meddling.
Quite a rant about things and in response to things I NEVER wrote. Try direct quoting me in your response next time. That way you can only respond to things I actually wrote.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Quite a rant about things and in response to things I NEVER wrote. Try direct quoting me in your response next time. That way you can only respond to things I actually wrote.

It all started with Rex Ryan saying he'd love to game plan against Mac Jones which I assume every D coordinator in the league probably agrees with.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Cowards if they take one of these overrated QBs and pass on Marvin. Playmakers are more rare than competent QBs this year showed you don't need an elite guy the higher end mid tier dudes did well and then you have Flacco showing up etc. Purdy was the last dude drafted.
"Cowards" seems a little strong. If they like one of the QBs, they should probably take them.

I'm with you Brad. They NEED a MHJ. Go QB in the later rounds. Sign a vet. Let the rook sit a learn and build your offense out.
I'm not sure it's quite as easy to find a good QB in the later rounds as you're making it sound.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't be shocked at all if this is something that the NFL eventually adopts.

Reactions: CDJ

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
I keep hearing “if they take a WR, who is going to throw to him next year?” I think some people haven’t come to terms with the fact that the Patriots are at the beginning of a 3-5 year rebuild. They are undoubtedly one of the worst 5 or 6 rosters in the league.

MHJ should be the pick because he is the safest option by far for a team that has holes all over the offensive side of the ball. We can’t afford to be wasting #3 overall picks, and picking Daniels has a much higher likelihood of that being the case given this team’s current supporting cast.

The best option right now is to take a few years to select premium offensive line and WRs with our picks, and then get the QB once our roster is in a better spot.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I keep hearing “if they take a WR, who is going to throw to him next year?” I think some people haven’t come to terms with the fact that the Patriots are at the beginning of a 3-5 year rebuild. They are undoubtedly one of the worst 5 or 6 rosters in the league.

MHJ should be the pick because he is the safest option by far for a team that has holes all over the offensive side of the ball. We can’t afford to be wasting #3 overall picks, and picking Daniels has a much higher likelihood of that being the case given this team’s current supporting cast.

The best option right now is to take a few years to select premium offensive line and WRs with our picks, and then get the QB once our roster is in a better spot.
You’re half right in that the Offense needs to be rebuilt. The Defense (notwithstanding the annual tweaking that always happens with an NFL roster) is solid. Essentially, half the team needs to be rebuilt.

Harrison is the right choice because he’s too explosive to pass up. He will instantly make all other WRs around him better because he will always be double-teamed. He’s a threat to take it to the house almost every time he touches the ball, and he’s so good that he will elevate any QB throwing to him.

None of the quarterbacks in this draft are better at their position than Harrison is at his. We’re so used to having the GOAT here that many of us just assume all the other positions aren’t as important.

If Harrison is already gone at 3, by all means take the best available QB. But I really think he’s a HOF talent and you NEVER pass up a chance to draft a Hall of Famer.

My $0.02.

FrankerC

Jun 24, 2016
Lewiston, Maine
You’re half right in that the Offense needs to be rebuilt. The Defense (notwithstanding the annual tweaking that always happens with an NFL roster) is solid. Essentially, half the team needs to be rebuilt.

Harrison is the right choice because he’s too explosive to pass up. He will instantly make all other WRs around him better because he will always be double-teamed. He’s a threat to take it to the house almost every time he touches the ball, and he’s so good that he will elevate any QB throwing to him.

None of the quarterbacks in this draft are better at their position than Harrison is at his. We’re so used to having the GOAT here that many of us just assume all the other positions aren’t as important.

If Harrison is already gone at 3, by all means take the best available QB. But I really think he’s a HOF talent and you NEVER pass up a chance to draft a Hall of Famer.

My $0.02.
This is probably true. There is no doubt Randy Moss made Randall Cunningham and Daunte Culpepper a better QB. If MHJ is as good as we're hearing, if he is available, he can probably make whoever is throwing to him (FA signing/34th pick) a better QB.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Ja'marr Chase imo is a top WR and he wasn’t able to carry the Bengals into the playoffs once Burrow went down with injury. The QB position is FAR more important than WR.

With that said, if Pats don’t believer Maye Williams or Daniels is legit, then draft MHJ or Alt at 3.. or maybe trade back a few spots.

Nix, McCarthy, Penix.. maybe they want one of them at 34?

I wouldn’t be opposed to drafting MHJ/ Alt at 3, drafting QB at 34, trading a 3rd to Chicago for Fields. Fields as a 2 year bridge QB would be an improvement over Mac & Zappe last season. With a young QB sitting for a year or two. This is going to be a long process.

**Bedard reporting that Van Pelt was fired because Cleveland front office not happy with Deshaun Watson progress. He also claims the Browns staff were “floored” when he was fired. “He was the glue of that staff”. The Browns were on QB 4 or 5, and lost 3 tackles. And still managed to win 11 games and make the playoffs with a QB who was old & on his couch most of the season.

Reactions: CDJ and FrankerC

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
The problem with not taking a QB is that next year's class isn't expected to be good and there's no guarantee you'll be in a position to take one in the following year, and then suddenly you're in a position where you have to overpay to trade up or sign/trade for some other team's reject.

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
Ja'marr Chase imo is a top WR and he wasn’t able to carry the Bengals into the playoffs once Burrow went down with injury. The QB position is FAR more important than WR.

With that said, if Pats don’t believer Maye Williams or Daniels is legit, then draft MHJ or Alt at 3.. or maybe trade back a few spots.

Nix, McCarthy, Penix.. maybe they want one of them at 34?

I wouldn’t be opposed to drafting MHJ/ Alt at 3, drafting QB at 34, trading a 3rd to Chicago for Fields. Fields as a 2 year bridge QB would be an improvement over Mac & Zappe last season. With a young QB sitting for a year or two. This is going to be a long process.

**Bedard reporting that Van Pelt was fired because Cleveland front office not happy with Deshaun Watson progress. He also claims the Browns staff were “floored” when he was fired. “He was the glue of that staff”. The Browns were on QB 4 or 5, and lost 3 tackles. And still managed to win 11 games and make the playoffs with a QB who was old & on his couch most of the season.
You could look at it the same way and say that Burrow is 5-8-1 without Chase in his career though. How many quarterbacks are succeeding without an elite receiving option right now?

I think building a great foundation and then finding a Purdy, Goff, Hurts, etc. has a much higher chance of success than just hoping you hit the next elite quarterback in the draft (especially since we’d be getting the 3rd QB option off the board in this case)

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
You could look at it the same way and say that Burrow is 5-8-1 without Chase in his career though. How many quarterbacks are succeeding without an elite receiving option right now?

I think building a great foundation and then finding a Purdy, Goff, Hurts, etc. has a much higher chance of success than just hoping you hit the next elite quarterback in the draft (especially since we’d be getting the 3rd QB option off the board in this case)
Not suggesting you’re wrong. These are kids, there isn’t a science to this. Some here have suggested Williams Maye Daniels aren’t future studs who can lead their teams to success. Lots of pro scouts in here I’m assuming.

In 2017 Tennessee drafted Corey Davis at 5, Chargers drafted Williams at 7, Bengals drafted John Ross at 9. All wide receivers. I’d argue that each one of those teams would be better off if they’d taken Mahomes, who went 10th overall to the Chiefs. There were 9 teams who passed on Mahomes who couldn’t predict what he’d become. Maybe those same scouts are saying the same about Daniels Maye or Williams. It’s always a gamble. I’d prefer to gamble on the QB.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

Yeah but you wouldn't do that when 10 of those games (2-7-1) came in Burrow's rookie season playing for a team that was coming off the worst record in the league and Chase was still in college.

Which I'm pretty sure means Burrow is 3-1 in his career without Chase while both actually play for the same team.

Reactions: shoulders7

FrankerC

Jun 24, 2016
Lewiston, Maine
Look for question mark. Leave no stone unturned. All that stuff. If Chicago keeps Fields and drafts Harrison Jr., take the detour.

Daniel Kelly doesn't have the greatest scouting reports to look back on. He was invited to the 2010 NFL draft and said Tim Tebow is a franchise QB. Heres a statement from Daniel Kelly on Tebow, "Tim Tebow is still a future Hall of Fame caliber quarterback. Tim Tebow is still a quarterback capable of winning multiple Super Bowls. I stake my scouting reputation on those statements". This statement is after Broncos, Jets, and Patriots passed on him.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Sources to Bert Breer: “The gap between the first cluster of QB’s and the 2nd cluster of QB’s is much bigger than we thought”
Jayden is the way

The late 1st/2nd round guys have been meh at best in the senior bowl practices, Nix in particular not great

Last edited:
Reactions: Walkenthewalk

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
Daniel Kelly doesn't have the greatest scouting reports to look back on. He was invited to the 2010 NFL draft and said Tim Tebow is a franchise QB. Heres a statement from Daniel Kelly on Tebow, "Tim Tebow is still a future Hall of Fame caliber quarterback. Tim Tebow is still a quarterback capable of winning multiple Super Bowls. I stake my scouting reputation on those statements". This statement is after Broncos, Jets, and Patriots passed on him.
Belichick was hoodwinked by that Tebow guy in 2013.

• Haha
Reactions: FrankerC

FrankerC

Jun 24, 2016
Lewiston, Maine
Or Maye. Breer suggesting this recent development may present the patriots with very good trade offers at #3.
Well lets just hope the Krafts/Wolf/Mayo didn't learn any trading/drafting lessons from Bill. We'll be seeing the 3rd go from Jayden/May/MHJ to trading back to 10ish and drafting a special teams guy from Rutgers.

Reactions: bbfan419

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

This has to be a scenario where you know you're gonna get caught eventually, right? But you just ride the life of fraud and luxury until it ends?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad