Patriots/NFL 2024 Playoffs Part 3: Chiefs SB Parade mass shooting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Seems like a brutal hire. Just got fired from the Browns, where he didn't even call plays for them (and I think he's called plays once in his life, back in 2009). How many other OCs rejected them first?
Fairly certain he called plays in 2021 in a playoff game where the Browns hung 48 on the Steelers. Not all offensive points but he’s called plays successfully in the playoffs before

Reactions: EvilDead

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Now, possibly. The dynamics have changed. Used to be a job where it would draw interest from NFL coordinators like Tom Coughlin. BC can't compete financially with the big boys and Hafley knows that. He also knew he was most likely getting fired after next season when he has a much tougher schedule.
Yup - must have killed him but BC operates like the Red Sox in the AL East - behind the 8 ball

Seems like a brutal hire. Just got fired from the Browns, where he didn't even call plays for them (and I think he's called plays once in his life, back in 2009). How many other OCs rejected them first?
Why they go outside the family ? Nick Caley was a McVay guy

Early Edition ought to be good

Reactions: Johnnyduke and CDJ

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Well ....at least he's done the job before.... Maybe?

Pretty sure Stefanski was basically the OC with the Browns, so difficult to say if this is really true. Presumably the only time he's actually run an offense was 2009.

It's just not a remotely exciting hire. Like the biggest positive is he's probably not good enough for anyone to be interested in hiring him away as a head coach.

Reactions: EverettMike

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Pretty sure Stefanski was basically the OC with the Browns, so difficult to say if this is really true. Presumably the only time he's actually run an offense was 2009.

It's just not a remotely exciting hire. Like the biggest positive is he's probably not good enough for anyone to be interested in hiring him away as a head coach.
no one had this

Reactions: CDJ and Mione134

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I watched football for years and never knew or gave a crap about OC or DC or special teams coach

The Celtics have more coaches then players

Now it’s like bigger then the fake moon landing

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I'd argue the offensive play-caller is the second most important person in the organization besides the quarterback

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023

I think I don't hate it? I like the fact that we're bringing in someone with real OC experience since Mayo is a first year HC. I like that he's a former QB and QB coach since we're likely drafting a new QB at 3OA. The fact that he didn't handle playcalling for the Browns makes me nervous though. He seems like he's well respected based on what I've read, but still seems like kind of a weird hire.

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
Don't hate the move. Maybe that's just because i thought they were going to make the oc the guy who was here previously until last season and hasn't made any tight end better in his 7 years as a tight ends coach but having interest from multiple teams for the position you just got fired from doesn't feel like something that would happen if teams thought you were bad at your job.

Reactions: Johnnyduke

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I hope nobody forgets that this all stems from promising a defensive coach the job without interviewing any offensive minded candidates for head coach. When you hire the next McVay, Shanahan, even the dork in Miami...that provides more stability for your QB.

Considering the options I guess I am fine with Van Pelt. I just don't know what the upside is there.

Now, there still are successful defensive coaches. I can't ignore that. Sean McDermott and DeMeco Ryans come to mind. Everyone likes Mike Vrabel but he ultimately got canned because their QBs suck. We gotta hope that if we draft a QB at #3 that they are coordinator proof. Mac Jones wasn't.

They hired an "OC" who called plays for exactly one game.

LOL

I'm looking at a picture of Mike McCarthy. And I'd rather see Greg Dickerson back in the Boston sports scene.

Are the comments all about how we should have kept Bill? :sarcasm:

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Who the hell did he fill in for during a playoff game? That doesn't make any sense to me.
Kevin Stefanski is Cleveland's Head Coach, and he used to be the offensive coordinator for Minnesota. He typically calls the plays. He missed a playoff game in 2020 because he had Covid. Van Pelt called the plays for that game.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
At least this guy isn‘t a first time coach at the position Like the rest of the staff. Considering nobody seemed to want the job I think this guy is fine.
Ya that's basically where I am. Now I hope if we take a QB the kid is a stud and can work with any coordinator.

Reactions: Therick67

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Not gonna lie, I didn’t even know they interviewed that guy for OC

Edit: this was interesting:

If Rodgers wanted him I instantly hate this hiring.

Reactions: Johnnyduke
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad