Patriots/NFL 2024 Playoffs Part 2: Pats have 3rd pick. Mayo new HC. Where does Belichick land? Bill O'Brien to leave Patriots for Ohio State OC job

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
A friend of mine texted me a hypothetical trade idea.

Fields and 9 for 3. Maybe with a small add from Chicago. Would you do it?

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I don't understand the want for Fields. He's a proven commodity in the NFL and clearly doesn't have the acumen to be a top tier NFL QB. He can be exciting and runs with the best of em, but he makes poor decisions and doesn't take care of the ball. He is what he is at this point in his career - it's not like he's coming off a mediocre rookie season. If we trade for him and he is the same QB here, then the timeline to be a contender is pushed out at least 3 more seasons.

Couple thoughts on Daniels: He put some great numbers this year and was worth of the heisman, but I am wary of this type of pre-draft hyped player. I feel like people forget that he was born the same year as Penix & Nix... He's not on the younger side of QB entering the draft, so his late emergence as a top guy is concerning. He doesn't throw a good short - intermediate ball and you really need to be able to throw at all levels in the NFL. Maye is just as raw as Daniels, but he's 2 full years younger than Daniels.

If we're going to grab a raw talent, I'd rather get MHJ in the first and figure out a way to get JJ in the late first / early second. If we want an older guy, I'd rather go with Penix or Nix, since they are much more polished, all-around players and should be there in the 2nd round.
I’m not a Fields honk but I’d rather trade a 3rd for him and take the chance that his improved play the second half of last season will continue, as opposed to drafting someone 8 months younger than Fields such as Bo Nix.

There’s a reason JJ McCarthy isn’t projected as a 1st round pick. In your scenario the Pats would have Mac Jones or Zappe throwing passes to MHJ. OR you’re offering Cousins 35-40 million per year. I’d prefer to finish at the bottom of league for another season than win 8 games, miss the playoffs, draft 14th overall and not be able to fill out the roster with quality players in free agency because Cousins eats up 40 million + in cap space.

Reactions: MillerTime29Bombs

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
So that brings up an interesting question. Let's say the price of Fields is pick #34. How do we feel about Fields and MHJ (at #3) versus Daniels and let's say someone like Troy Franklin, Adonai Mitchell, or Xavier Worthy?

It's definitely fortuitous that their top 3 positions of need (QB, WR, and OT) also happen to likely be the best available positions at #3 and #34.

I'm kind of intrigued by the idea of seeing if you can trade down with the Chargers and get another pick that can get you to move up from #34. Take Daniels at #5 and then move up to a point where you can reconnect him with Brian Thomas. I always like the idea of pairing QB prospects with their college receivers.

I think it's probably all moot because they'll end up frustrating all of us and take Alt or Fashanu at #3 because we can't have nice things.

Sign me up.

I think Fields's issues are no weapons, a turnstile o-line and inept Chicago coaching. Fields and Harrison would be a deadly combo

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

No. Fields is gonna need to get paid if you decide he's the guy. So you're moving down and you don't even get the rookie QB contract for five years. Stay and either take a QB or MHJ.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada

Fields has a cap hit of around 6M a year and is a UFA in 2026. So we would have him for 2 years, unless he signs for an extension. At 9 we should be able to get one of Odunze or Fashanu, either one I would be fine with. I would be okay with this deal.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Fields has a cap hit of around 6M a year and is a UFA in 2026. So we would have him for 2 years, unless he signs for an extension. At 9 we should be able to get one of Odunze or Fashanu, either one I would be fine with. I would be okay with this deal.
He's due his 5th year option next season, which is roughly 25 mil.

Reactions: PeanutButter37

PeanutButter37

Feb 20, 2015
I’m not a Fields honk but I’d rather trade a 3rd for him and take the chance that his improved play the second half of last season will continue, as opposed to drafting someone 8 months younger than Fields such as Bo Nix.

There’s a reason JJ McCarthy isn’t projected as a 1st round pick. In your scenario the Pats would have Mac Jones or Zappe throwing passes to MHJ. OR you’re offering Cousins 35-40 million per year. I’d prefer to finish at the bottom of league for another season than win 8 games, miss the playoffs, draft 14th overall and not be able to fill out the roster with quality players in free agency because Cousins eats up 40 million + in cap space.

That's fair. Both options are risky for sure. I have zero confidence that Fields will figure out how to run an offense, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Nix & Penix may only be a year younger than Fields, but they already look like they would be able to run an offense better. More poise and better decision making. I have seen JJ projected in the first and second round (first round actually surprises me with how little responsibility he was given at times). I feel like he has a high ceiling with a basement level floor.

I also think that the Patriots were just a massive cluster the past 2 seasons and no QB would have succeeded with the organization drama / OLine / WR situation. I don't have confidence that Mac or Zappe are starters in the NFL, but they were set up to fail.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

PeanutButter37

Feb 20, 2015
Sign me up.

I think Fields's issues are no weapons, a turnstile o-line and inept Chicago coaching. Fields and Harrison would be a deadly combo

DJ Moore is a legit WR - add in the RB committee they have and Kmet at TE and they had legit weapons this season. Fields also had the most pocket time of any QB in the NFL this season - his OLine being bad is massively overblown. Any metric that rates offense lines has Chicago at the top of the list this past season. New England on the other hand - these are the arguments that could be made for any QB in New England the past 2 season (Disclaimer: I am more than happy to more on from Mac or Zappe)

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
That's fair. Both options are risky for sure. I have zero confidence that Fields will figure out how to run an offense, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Nix & Penix may only be a year younger than Fields, but they already look like they would be able to run an offense better. More poise and better decision making. I have seen JJ projected in the first and second round (first round actually surprises me with how little responsibility he was given at times). I feel like he has a high ceiling with a basement level floor.

I also think that the Patriots were just a massive cluster the past 2 seasons and no QB would have succeeded with the organization drama / OLine / WR situation. I don't have confidence that Mac or Zappe are starters in the NFL, but they were set up to fail.
As fans we want the shiny toys. This Pats team has so many holes offensively. The QB & o-line needs major improvements. Receiver group needs talent. Are there any good receivers projected to go early 2nd round they can take at 34? Maybe Legette or Franklin.

Pats could add all three of Alt, Daniels & Harrison Jr and still suck next season. This is going to take a while to correct

PeanutButter37

Feb 20, 2015
As fans we want the shiny toys. This Pats team has so many holes offensively. The QB & o-line needs major improvements. Receiver group needs talent. Are there any good receivers projected to go early 2nd round they can take at 34? Maybe Legette or Franklin.

Pats could add all three of Alt, Daniels & Harrison Jr and still suck next season. This is going to take a while to correct

I'd love to grab Franklin in the 2nd if we don't get MHJ. They do have a ton of cash to spend in FA as well - hopefully they can hit on those signings.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
5 "hits" yet I don't see any of them carrying their team to the SB. Mac Jones has as many playoff wins as a few of them.
If you don't think that Burrow, Herbert, Love or Hurts are good enough to win you a Super Bowl, then I don't know what to tell you........Hell, Tua could do it too in the right situation.

Besides, if you do your job right and construct a roster/coaching staff correctly, you don't need your QB to "carry" a team. You just need competent play. Detroit and San Francisco are perfect examples.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

Why on earth would Chicago do that when they already have the #1 pick? I think its much more likely that Chicago trades down, not up, with one of their 2 picks.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Why on earth would Chicago do that when they already have the #1 pick? I think its much more likely that Chicago trades down, not up, with one of their 2 picks.
I think the rational behind it would be to draft Williams 1OA and pair him with Harrison at 3.

Williams Harrison and DJ Moore is a pretty good starting point offensively

Makes no sense for NE though

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
I think you take MHJ and then you can get someone like Nix or McCarthy at #34
Bo Nix is a product of all the talent around him and JJ McCarthy has some tools but if he wasn't the qb of a national champion no one is talking about him being drafted in the 1st or 2nd round and certainly isn't a year one starter. Maye or Daniels, Tyler Guyton or Patrick Paul at tackle and then a wr like Jalen McMillan in round 3 should be how they approach the first 3 rounds of the draft with free agency before the draft building the roster around helping a rookie qb.

The history of teams drafting a wr top 5 and drafting in that position because they suck instead of a trade isn't kind. Since 2000, only the Bengals with Chase have made it past the Wild Card round and that's because Joe Burrow, a top 10 qb is on their roster.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
If you don't think that Burrow, Herbert, Love or Hurts are good enough to win you a Super Bowl, then I don't know what to tell you........Hell, Tua could do it too in the right situation.

You're responding to a post I didn't write. I chose my words very carefully. Every qb in the league could win a SB in the right situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad