Patriots/NFL 2024 Playoffs Part 2: Pats have 3rd pick. Mayo new HC. Where does Belichick land? Bill O'Brien to leave Patriots for Ohio State OC job

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Penix is too injury prone. I don't see him having much success. You don't waste a pick on him when you have other needs on offense.
I think Harrison Jr will be very good, but Mac Jones to MHJ doesn’t excite me next season. This team needs a QB first and foremost.

Odds are maybe 2 of Williams Maye Daniels Penix Nix McCarthy are successful starting QB’s in this league. I’d rather take my swings at a QB than a WR. It’d be great to have a J’Mar Chase type here but who throws MHJ the ball? Cousins? Fields? Meh

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I think Harrison Jr will be very good, but Mac Jones to MHJ doesn’t excite me next season. This team needs a QB first and foremost.

Odds are maybe 2 of Williams Maye Daniels Penix Nix McCarthy are successful starting QB’s in this league. I’d rather take my swings at a QB than a WR. It’d be great to have a J’Mar Chase type here but who throws MHJ the ball? Cousins? Fields? Meh
We tend to forget the numbers Cousins put up with Jefferson. That dude can throw a ball.

The goal should be to build UP the offense. We're not getting Williams. I don't trust Maye or Daniels to come in here day 1, which btw nobody should expect that. The reason why players like Stroud are successful is because a plan was in place before he was drafted. There was a good o-line protecting him. Good WR's. Good talent to help him.

We can't do that or provide that at this moment. So start drafting the weapons MHJ. Then get a QB in the 2nd round. Then sign a vet. Let that player sit and learn if you think they can play in a few years. If you don't see anyone you like or they suck, you got next year. This QB situation isn't going to be fixed this year I'll tell you that.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Not very articulate and it begs the question of who the heck is making decisions in the new front office? Can’t imagine the future GM or Football ops is going to be excited about the dynamic and vice versa with the staff if they are hearing stuff like 1000% and burning cash… He needs media training…
He’s sharp as a tack and has been in the media

My takeaway is you didn’t know who Jerod Mayo was last week

• Haha
Reactions: bb74

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
We tend to forget the numbers Cousins put up with Jefferson. That dude can throw a ball.

The goal should be to build UP the offense. We're not getting Williams. I don't trust Maye or Daniels to come in here day 1, which btw nobody should expect that. The reason why players like Stroud are successful is because a plan was in place before he was drafted. There was a good o-line protecting him. Good WR's. Good talent to help him.

We can't do that or provide that at this moment. So start drafting the weapons MHJ. Then get a QB in the 2nd round. Then sign a vet. Let that player sit and learn if you think they can play in a few years. If you don't see anyone you like or they suck, you got next year. This QB situation isn't going to be fixed this year I'll tell you that.

If Mayo and Eliot Wolf uses the cap money that the Patriots now have available to them wisely, they can set up a good situation for any of the rookie QBs available before the draft this Spring. There's still enough time for the Patriots to reload.

Reactions: DKH

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts

I’m not a Cousins fan. He’s Drew Bledsoe imo. Gun slinger who has an arm and can throw deep but can’t read defenses quick enough & can’t use his legs as plan B. And tbh I don’t care to see Pats use up 35-40m of cap space on him. You aren’t winning with Cousins as your starter. I’d rather go with Mac or Zappe again and draft high again in 2025.

2nd round QB’s project to be Nix McCarthy and maybe Penix. Either of those feel like a solution? Idk enough about them.

Maybe drafting Alt is the answer if the plan is to build up the team before QB. Throw some money at Calvin Ridley. I’m rolling the dice at QB’s

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Mel Kiper projects Washington to take Daniels at #2, leaving Maye available to the Pats at 3.

If Daniels goes number two, then the Patriots should go for Marvin Harrison Jr or Joe Alt at that point. Drake Maye reeks of being another Mitch Trubisky to me and I don't think he has the ability to succeed at the next level. If the Patriots want a pocket passer, they should go with someone more mobile in the pocket like Michael Penix Jr in the early second.

Reactions: Oates2Neely and DKH

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
The reason why players like Stroud are successful is because a plan was in place before he was drafted. There was a good o-line protecting him. Good WR's. Good talent to help him.
Houston's offensive weapons were not considered good before this season. Nico Collins career best season was 37 catches and 481 yards before he had 80 catches, 1297 yards and 8 touchdowns this season, Tank Dell was a 3rd round pick, Robert Woods is an average wr3 now and Dalton Schultz signed a 1 year 9 million contract and is a similarly fringe top 10 te like Hunter Henry. They have a solid line but Stroud being a good qb from day 1 elevates everyone.

The Patriots can be aggressive in free agency to build up the offense for a rookie qb. Unlike other teams, the Patriots don't have to restructure contracts and kick the future cap hits down the road to be able to do it either. Add Calvin Ridley, Tyler Boyd while re-signing Hunter Henry and Mike Onwenu, even if you have to overpay to make it happen and the aav for the first year for all four is something like 60 million which i don't think it would take, it's worth it to surround your rookie qb with weapons.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
We’re gonna watch him dominate the league and we’ll have somebody mid like JJ McCarthy or Bo Nix.

AJ Green could only carry Andy Dalton so far (same for Calvin and the Lions), drafting a wr when you don’t have anybody to get him the ball and a weak qb class next year isn’t a great strategy imo (unless they shell out for Kirk)

Again the final 4 QBs this year are #1 pick, #1 pick, top 10 pick, and guy with elite talent at WR/TE/LT/RB who seems to erode when he doesn’t have it around him. It’s a lot easier to just use the high pick on a QB than it is to build a monster offense. Especially with our track record drafting and developing WR. Throw money at Mike Evans (or Pittman if Indy doesn’t franchise, I assume Cincy tags Higgins)
Exactly right. If you think you have a potential stud QB on the board at #3, you take it. It's a no-brainer. Yes there's risk involved but its a risk worth taking if you think you can land a starting QB for the next 10+ years.

A strong QB can take a mediocre WR and make him really good. Not the other way around.

Reactions: CDJ

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Houston's offensive weapons were not considered good before this season. Nico Collins career best season was 37 catches and 481 yards before he had 80 catches, 1297 yards and 8 touchdowns this season, Tank Dell was a 3rd round pick, Robert Woods is an average wr3 now and Dalton Schultz signed a 1 year 9 million contract and is a similarly fringe top 10 te like Hunter Henry. They have a solid line but Stroud being a good qb from day 1 elevates everyone.

The Patriots can be aggressive in free agency to build up the offense for a rookie qb. Unlike other teams, the Patriots don't have to restructure contracts and kick the future cap hits down the road to be able to do it either. Add Calvin Ridley, Tyler Boyd while re-signing Hunter Henry and Mike Onwenu, even if you have to overpay to make it happen and the aav for the first year for all four is something like 60 million which i don't think it would take, it's worth it to surround your rookie qb with weapons.
You can also grab a ton of WR talent in the 2-6th rounds of the draft if your scouting/player personnel people are competent. Its a much less risky pick than taking a flyer on a QB in those rounds.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
You can also grab a ton of WR talent in the 2-6th rounds of the draft if your scouting/player personnel people are competent. Its a much less risky pick than taking a flyer on a QB in those rounds.
Best rookie WR this year was a 5th rounder

Hell our best receiver when healthy this season was a 6th rounder

Jayden Reed round 2, Tank Dell 3. Rashee Rice 2. Josh Downs 3. Dontayvion Wicks came on when needed, he was round 5. Michael Wilson round 3. All made a decent to big impact as rookies this year

Reactions: MillerTime29Bombs

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
We’re gonna watch him dominate the league and we’ll have somebody mid like JJ McCarthy or Bo Nix.

How is McCarthy or Nix "mid"? McCarthy pulled off big time plays when the chips were down for Michigan and could gunsling with the best of em this year in the College Football Playoffs when called upon. Nix is admittedly more of a project and needs more around him, but he has the arm and with the right system around him, he looks like a serviceable starter in the mold of Kirk Cousins. If the Pats can't get Daniels or Penix Jr, McCarthy or Nix with the right pieces around them would be just fine.

AJ Green could only carry Andy Dalton so far (same for Calvin and the Lions), drafting a wr when you don’t have anybody to get him the ball and a weak qb class next year isn’t a great strategy imo (unless they shell out for Kirk)

Getting high end receivers around an average prospect seems to have worked for the Dolphins so far with Tua and the Dolphins. He may be fragile as hell thanks to Stephen Ross being an incompetent by demanding his concussed QB go out and get another one. That said, he's proof positive that as long as you put the right system and pieces around a guy, you can succeed.

Again the final 4 QBs this year are #1 pick, top 10 pick, 1st round pick, and guy with elite talent at WR/TE/LT/RB who seems to erode when he doesn’t have it around him. A top 10 pick and a #2 pick and a #1 pick just got eliminated, as did another 1st rounder in Love. It’s a lot easier to just use the high pick on a QB than it is to build a monster offense. Especially with our track record drafting and developing WR. Throw money at Mike Evans (or Pittman if Indy doesn’t franchise, I assume Cincy tags Higgins)

The Patriots need to utilize their money AND their picks to reassemble this offense. This isn't an either/or situation.

Reactions: capecodder

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB

I think you take MHJ and then you can get someone like Nix or McCarthy at #34

Reactions: PeanutButter37

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I always liked Mayo as a player and when he got the HC , I was not sure if he was ready for it , but I always remember Bill saying he was a very smart football player and named him to his coaching staff so that was another positive, but after listening to him talk, I can say this with great confidence this will be a total disaster . I hope am wrong and it would not be the first time, but would bet Kraft is already having regrets.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
If it is Harrison at 3, I wonder if they take a chance in the 4th round or so on Jordan Travis (granted it'll be an extra year before you see him on the field)

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If they don’t pick a QB top 3 or sign Cousins then I think Fields is my choice

Huh???

What has he said that makes you think he can't be a good coach?
He had the audacity to say something the heavy majority of his locker room probably agrees with

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I've followed Michigan football my entire life because as a kid, my favorite super hero was Wolverine. I watch a lot of their games.

McCarthy is an interesting case. He has a ton of talent, but isn't their focal point, and frankly took a backseat down the stretch for the most part, to their run game. He's hard to get a true read on.

Not sure where he slots draft wise. Certainly wouldn't spend a first on him, even as a trade back.

Maybe at #34? I'd be more inclined to take Nix there though.

PeanutButter37

Feb 20, 2015
Fair. I just don’t like either of Nix or McCarthy. Maybe trade for Fields at that point.

I don't understand the want for Fields. He's a proven commodity in the NFL and clearly doesn't have the acumen to be a top tier NFL QB. He can be exciting and runs with the best of em, but he makes poor decisions and doesn't take care of the ball. He is what he is at this point in his career - it's not like he's coming off a mediocre rookie season. If we trade for him and he is the same QB here, then the timeline to be a contender is pushed out at least 3 more seasons.

Couple thoughts on Daniels: He put some great numbers this year and was worth of the heisman, but I am wary of this type of pre-draft hyped player. I feel like people forget that he was born the same year as Penix & Nix... He's not on the younger side of QB entering the draft, so his late emergence as a top guy is concerning. He doesn't throw a good short - intermediate ball and you really need to be able to throw at all levels in the NFL. Maye is just as raw as Daniels, but he's 2 full years younger than Daniels.

If we're going to grab a raw talent, I'd rather get MHJ in the first and figure out a way to get JJ in the late first / early second. If we want an older guy, I'd rather go with Penix or Nix, since they are much more polished, all-around players and should be there in the 2nd round.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Kiper's mock draft is now released. One interesting tidbit about Jeremiah and Kiper is they have 4 QBs going in the 1st round. Jeremiah has Nix at 14 going to the Saints and Kiper has McCarthy at 16 going to the Seahawks. Obviously these are early mock drafts but it wouldn't surprise me if they are 4 or 5 QBs that go in the 1st round.

FrankerC

Jun 24, 2016
Lewiston, Maine
Kiper's mock draft is now released. One interesting tidbit about Jeremiah and Kiper is they have 4 QBs going in the 1st round. Jeremiah has Nix at 14 going to the Saints and Kiper has McCarthy at 16 going to the Seahawks. Obviously these are early mock drafts but it wouldn't surprise me if they are 4 or 5 QBs that go in the 1st round.

Also FYI - Kiper has Daniels #2 and Maye #3. Kiper is historically bad at player/team predictions.

Reactions: red devil

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
If they don’t pick a QB top 3 or sign Cousins then I think Fields is my choice

He had the audacity to say something the heavy majority of his locker room probably agrees with

So that brings up an interesting question. Let's say the price of Fields is pick #34. How do we feel about Fields and MHJ (at #3) versus Daniels and let's say someone like Troy Franklin, Adonai Mitchell, or Xavier Worthy?

It's definitely fortuitous that their top 3 positions of need (QB, WR, and OT) also happen to likely be the best available positions at #3 and #34.

I'm kind of intrigued by the idea of seeing if you can trade down with the Chargers and get another pick that can get you to move up from #34. Take Daniels at #5 and then move up to a point where you can reconnect him with Brian Thomas. I always like the idea of pairing QB prospects with their college receivers.

I think it's probably all moot because they'll end up frustrating all of us and take Alt or Fashanu at #3 because we can't have nice things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad