OT - NO POLITICS 2024 Paris Olympics

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
So the appeal was late
That’s unclear because it should have been immediately rejected had it been late but it wasn’t. Based on the reports from the meeting, the US was not shown what Romania used as proof of this time violation. They had no idea it was allegedly late.

Imagine taking away a bronze medal from a gymnast who did nothing wrong all because a judge made an error accepting an inquiry that was 4 seconds late. Absolutely mind boggling.

My guess is that the US will be launching its own appeal and this will all get reversed at some point.

Bottom line is that the International Gymnastics Federation messed up big time and instead of owning it, they’ve chosen to punish the athletes.

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

Mick Riddleton

Boomer : This, gentlemen, is no time to think.
Apr 24, 2017
for funnzies

The Canadian break dancer Phil Wizard won the first ever competition in his discipline. It was all new for everyone, and the announcers droned on endlessly, trying to hard to elevate the event.

All they needed to do was let the Canadian unlock the skies and unleash the key to victory. The audience was thrilled with his aerial creativity, but it was not easy.

He had to drone on past all the opposition as his chances took flight. The sky is the limit for Philip; he can soar to new heights, see above the competition, and thereby find a way to win.

1723346759526.png

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
That’s unclear because it should have been immediately rejected had it been late but it wasn’t. Based on the reports from the meeting, the US was not shown what Romania used as proof of this time violation. They had no idea it was allegedly late.

Imagine taking away a bronze medal from a gymnast who did nothing wrong all because a judge made an error accepting an inquiry that was 4 seconds late. Absolutely mind boggling.

My guess is that the US will be launching its own appeal and this will all get reversed at some point.

Bottom line is that the International Gymnastics Federation messed up big time and instead of owning it, they’ve chosen to punish the athletes.
This is where it gets dicey for me too

If the US appeal really was 4 seconds late, why was it allowed to take place? Once that appeal was allowed and it happened, what’s the protocol on appealing the appeal? Why do they get a few days to decide? It just gets ugly

So a mistake was made on scoring Chiles, and that’s gotta be contested within a minute. Then a mistake was made in allowing the late appeal by the US…but Romania can contest that at any point in their lifetime?

It’s all weird

Reactions: Alicat

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Breaking made its Olympic debut in Paris to cheers and perhaps a bit of confusion, but fans shouldn't get used to seeing b-boys and b-girls on the Olympic stage.
Will breaking be part of the 2028 Los Angeles Olympics?
Breaking is not in the lineup of sports for the Los Angeles Olympics in 2028, and leaders of the sport think it's unlikely to make it into the events for Brisbane in 2032.

While there was no room for breaking in the 2028 program, there will be five sports that were not featured at the Paris Olympics:

Cricket
Flag football
Baseball and softball
Lacrosse
Squash

Last edited:

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Breaking made its Olympic debut in Paris to cheers and perhaps a bit of confusion, but fans shouldn't get used to seeing b-boys and b-girls on the Olympic stage.
Breaking is not in the lineup of sports for the Los Angeles Olympics in 2028, and leaders of the sport think it's unlikely to make it into the events for Brisbane in 2032.

While there was no room for breaking in the 2028 program, there will be five sports that were not featured at the Paris Olympics:

Cricket
Flag football
Baseball and softball
Lacrosse

Squash

Comment

Very happy about the bold.

Intrigued by Flag Football.

Cricket is pretty wild to watch.

Squash?...meh

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
We saw the credit roll NBC ran overnight and the only cam ops included were those who worked in the main Paris studio and those who were doing supplemental camera for NBC at the venues.

Most of us fall through the cracks as NBC nominates us to OBS who we report to.
Credit roll was very heavy on people in Stamford and that is cool. Bottom line is I am getting daily direct deposits from OBS so.......

NBC picks up the travel and OBS pays for the hotel.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Cricket
Flag football
Baseball and softball
Lacrosse
Squash

I can very confidently say breaking will not be featured in Brisbane.

As for other options I get the IOC's interest in cricket because India is a huge market that is largely untapped by the Olympic movement, and there is no easier way into that than cricket. But it's a fully pro sport that I think lends itself to the true spirit of the games even less than basketball or soccer. I reckon it'll get in, probably sooner rather than later, but I'd prefer it didn't. My rule for the Olympics is if they're not the biggest event for a particular sport, then it shouldn't be there.

Would like to see squash - I play it recreationally and while I am not very good it's a very athletic sport and the top players are super-talented. Baseball or softball would be fine but there would be question marks about which players should be eligible, especially for the men's teams. Lacrosse is also good but I'm not sure whether it has a big enough global footprint.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I can very confidently say breaking will not be featured in Brisbane.

As for other options I get the IOC's interest in cricket because India is a huge market that is largely untapped by the Olympic movement, and there is no easier way into that than cricket. But it's a fully pro sport that I think lends itself to the true spirit of the games even less than basketball or soccer. I reckon it'll get in, probably sooner rather than later, but I'd prefer it didn't. My rule for the Olympics is if they're not the biggest event for a particular sport, then it shouldn't be there.

Would like to see squash - I play it recreationally and while I am not very good it's a very athletic sport and the top players are super-talented. Baseball or softball would be fine but there would be question marks about which players should be eligible, especially for the men's teams. Lacrosse is also good but I'm not sure whether it has a big enough global footprint.
@Aussie Bruin

India is a sleeping giant and I mean giant.

Given a population of 1.4 BILLION, they could have developed an Olympic sports program but they show no interest.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
@Aussie Bruin

India is a sleeping giant and I mean giant.

Given a population of 1.4 BILLION, they could have developed an Olympic sports program but they show no interest.

100%. The IOC getting China to take the Olympics seriously has been huge for them. Created some problems too, of course, but no doubt viewed as worth it for the financial and prestige gains. India has nearly as much potential. But at present they have some half-decent hockey teams, a handful of shooters and field athletes, and that's about it. Zero gold and only 6 medals in total for a country of that size is near unbelievable.

The challenges are that cricket so dominates their sporting landscape, and, while their economy is growing, they still have huge problems with poverty and unequal distribution of wealth. Reality is money=medals and getting their government to invest the cash and effort required to produce a much wider range of athletes outside their national passion is going to be a hard sell. They hosted the Commonwealth Games (RIP) in 2010 and while not terrible it didn't go so well and seems to have done nothing to kick on their domestic sporting scene. I would fear that if cricket were added to the Olympics it would definitely draw Indian interest but that interest would be narrow.

Terrific games for Australia in the end. Made my early doubts look silly. 4th overall, a new record gold medal haul (18), best total medal count for a games not held in Australia. All that from a nation of just 26 million people, our athletes have done us very proud. Of course New Zealand getting 10 gold from just a 5 million population is even better proportionally, but we won't talk too much about that.....

Last edited:
Reactions: MustardStew

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019
The IOC has officially stripped Jordan Chiles of her medal.

This is a great no frills summary of what happened an his last words are spot on

I hate to say this but the IOC and anyone else that supported this terrible decision should be shamed for supporting the hate and lies that the Romanians displayed during this shameful process.
Hate should not be rewarded, it should be condemned, and Jordan should be given her medal back, then compensated for her losses for shutting down her social media, as well as an public apology.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: luiginb and Alicat

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I hate to say this but the IOC and anyone else that supported this terrible decision should be shamed for supporting the hate and lies that the Romanians displayed during this shameful process.
I thought the IOC knew what they were doing and were great which is it?

• Haha
Reactions: BMC

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
USOPC is appealing ath this is where they have actual cases on their side to support dual Bronze medalists, 2002 Salt Lake City in Pairs Figure Skating and recently with the Kamila Valiyeva doping that elevated the US to Gold and Japan to Silver in the team event. Russia got dropped to Bronze (Canada is challenging that).

Christine Brennan is the go to for these stories. She's fair and has well placed sources. This would have never happened had the judges had done their job correctly.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Unbelievable ending to the US/France Women's Basketball Gold Medal Game.

France's Gabby Williams banks in a buzzer-beating jumper, but her foot was on the 3-point line, and the US Women claim Gold by a score of 67-66.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Cheryl Reeve needs to go as coach of Team USA. She got lucky today. Give me Cheryl Miller in 2028

She's absolute trash. And there's a reason certain talented players who should be on the roster aren't. Like my girl Arike Ogunbowale. She talked about how it goes.

Can't wait for the younger set to take over. We need it.

Last edited:

Babajingo

Cricket
Flag football
Baseball and softball
Lacrosse
Squash
Lacrosse and Cricket would be good to see.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Why didn't Caitlin make the team? Was she really not good enough or did she just get Isiah'd by the other girls?

Also, I'm glad that the Romanian girl is getting justice

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Hate should not be rewarded, it should be condemned, and Jordan should be given her medal back, then compensated for her losses.
Except Romania is actively lobbying for a joint bronze medal but hate on

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad