OT - NO POLITICS 2024 Paris Olympics

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
You and I both.

An acquaintance of mine married a French woman and visits France often.

He told me once that in all his many travels around the world, France feels like one of the least safe places he’s ever been and there are many things that are covered up. While it is true that most places downplay their violent crime, he said things are a lot worse in France than most people realize.

I believe him.

The cops weren’t carrying those rifles for nothing, @McGarnagle

One needs to distinguish the big cities from the rest of the country. I've spent a fair amount of time in rural France, and in some of the regional small cities like Strasbourg and Rouen, and always felt perfectly safe. But Paris and Marseille are different. They absolutely can be dangerous and you have to keep your wits about you. All the big cities in Europe, for all their charm, are riddled with organized crime and pose risks for the unsuspecting.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
One needs to distinguish the big cities from the rest of the country. I've spent a fair amount of time in rural France, and in some of the regional small cities like Strasbourg and Rouen, and always felt perfectly safe. But Paris and Marseille are different. They absolutely can be dangerous and you have to keep your wits about you. All the big cities in Europe, for all their charm, are riddled with organized crime and pose risks for the unsuspecting.
Strasbourg was the city where the police checked my bags at the mall in the anecdote I led with. That said, I didn't feel terribly unsafe there - there were some parts of the city where walking back to the Airbnb at night felt a little sketchy, but sticking near the commercial area and the downtown tourist areas were always pretty safe.

I was only in Paris for a day, plus my time at the airport, so I can't say much. Went to Notre-Dame and Sainte-Chappelle and that area during the daytime seemed okay. Wasn't ever there at night time. The Metro was janky as hell though.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Strasbourg was the city where the police checked my bags at the mall in the anecdote I led with. That said, I didn't feel terribly unsafe there - there were some parts of the city where walking back to the Airbnb at night felt a little sketchy, but sticking near the commercial area and the downtown tourist areas were always pretty safe.

I was only in Paris for a day, plus my time at the airport, so I can't say much. Went to Notre-Dame and Sainte-Chappelle and that area during the daytime seemed okay. Wasn't ever there at night time. The Metro was janky as hell though.

Everyone's experience is different of course. I found Strasbourg fine, but I have also come across pushy French police a couple of times in other places so can well relate to that. For sure, they don't mess around.

But on the whole I've found regional France to be ok. Need to be sensible, like anywhere, otherwise it seems generally safe enough.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Everyone's experience is different of course. I found Strasbourg fine, but I have also come across pushy French police a couple of times in other places so can well relate to that. For sure, they don't mess around.

But on the whole I've found regional France to be ok. Need to be sensible, like anywhere, otherwise it seems generally safe enough.
Strasbourg is well-maintained and clean. When I went over the bridge over the Rhine into Kehl, Germany, it was strikingly more seedy.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
If you had the misfortune to turn on "breaking" when she was um... doing something. You'd be like "why is this an event" and turn it off -- which is exactly what I did. She'll prolly be hated in that community for awhile since she did a lot of damage to the event.

(I did turn it back on for the men's final), where it was "ok, this is better, but it's still not an Olympic worthy event. "

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Reactions: Bruinfanatic

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

USA Gymnastics said Monday it can prove that a coach's appeal that put gymnast Jordan Chiles on the podium for a bronze medal in Paris was by the book, but the effort may be futile because the governing court said its rules don't allow for reconsideration in this case.

Reactions: BMC

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

USA Gymnastics said Monday it can prove that a coach's appeal that put gymnast Jordan Chiles on the podium for a bronze medal in Paris was by the book, but the effort may be futile because the governing court said its rules don't allow for reconsideration in this case.

Give everyone a medal, especially the poor Romanian girl who should have won the gold in the first place.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
@Bruinaura

454048901_1026924448835913_4750014766102984231_n.jpg

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Au revoir Paris

Screenshot 2024-08-13 002914.png

I can not stress how well-organized these games were. Transportation was flawless.
Memo to the bozos who run the Assemblée nationale du Québec - The French think you are idiots.

It was a good gig.

• Love
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH and BMC

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Give everyone a medal, especially the poor Romanian girl who should have won the gold in the first place.
Agreed. Give 'em both a bronze and be done with it already.

The general dumbf***ery surrounding this whole floor exercise debacle is well past the point of ridiculousness, now.

I'm now in the "I don't give a shit, anymore" camp.....

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Romania didn't deserve the gold or silver on floor period. To suggest they did means you didn't watch the event at all

Agreed. Give 'em both a bronze and be done with it already.

The general dumbf***ery surrounding this whole floor exercise debacle is well past the point of ridiculousness, now.

I'm now in the "I don't give a shit, anymore" camp.....
Give them both the Bronze but I want them to expose the corruption especially in the Gymnastics Federation. It has been a long time coming and it is even more pertinent to do it since the head of FIG wants to be the next IOC President.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad