OT - NO POLITICS 2024 Paris Olympics

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Why didn't Caitlin make the team? Was she really not good enough or did she just get Isiah'd by the other girls?

Also, I'm glad that the Romanian girl is getting justice

Probably because of this. And Reeve hates CC. Very vocal about her lol

But I think its better that she wasn't on the team this year. She needed the rest. We're trying to get Indy to the playoffs. In 4 years, she's going to be on it with a bunch of rooks and it's going to be awesome. Reeve will most likely not be the coach either. The new era will begin.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Maybe it's just me but I have found NBC's coverage under-whelmimg

Latest example- cutting away from the women's marathon ( taped) to go to a " review" of the day

Couple that with what feels like a constant stream of commercials and less than coordinated multi- channel coverage and I give NBC a C+ ....which is sad given the starting point is the Olympics in Paris

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Maybe it's just me but I have found NBC's coverage under-whelmimg

Latest example- cutting away from the women's marathon ( taped) to go to a " review" of the day

Couple that with what feels like a constant stream of commercials and less than coordinated multi- channel coverage and I give NBC a C+ ....which is sad given the starting point is the Olympics in Paris
Peacock surprisingly has been really good with their coverage. "Goldzone" was awesome.

Reactions: TD Charlie

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Why didn't Caitlin make the team? Was she really not good enough or did she just get Isiah'd by the other girls?
When you only carry 12 players, somebody is gonna get left out and I'm sure there were a few feelings hurt. You could probably argue that there were 20 or so players that should our could have made the squad, but you only get to pick 12. The talent gap between #12 and #20 is also infinitesimally small. Sucks if you don't make it, but that's the deal....

My issue is with the whining on social media on behalf of a few players who didn't get selected. You can shit on the coaches all you want, but that's not an easy gig, trying to get 12 elite athletes to come together as a team. I think team chemistry is probably more important than actual talent with a squad like that...

Caitlin Clark will eventually have her day in the Olympic Games.

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Except Romania is actively lobbying for a joint bronze medal but hate on
I'm glad they are advocating for a joint medal but the circus they turned this into shouldn't have happened. Also, the fact that neither the IOC nor FIG (Gymnastics Federation) has not condemned the shit being spewed at Jordan is a massive issue. Fans of the Romanian team are posting some of the most racist crap I have ever seen all over Jordan's social media as well as any post mentioning her. At some point you need to condemn it.

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
When you only carry 12 players, somebody is gonna get left out and I'm sure there were a few feelings hurt. You could probably argue that there were 20 or so players that should our could have made the squad, but you only get to pick 12. The talent gap between #12 and #20 is also infinitesimally small. Sucks if you don't make it, but that's the deal....

My issue is with the whining on social media on behalf of a few players who didn't get selected. You can shit on the coaches all you want, but that's not an easy gig, trying to get 12 elite athletes to come together as a team. I think team chemistry is probably more important than actual talent with a squad like that...

Caitlin Clark will eventually have her day in the Olympic Games.
I'm in Indy and follow both the Fever and women's basketball rather closely. I had no problem with Clark not being picked. At the time the team was chosen, she was not quite ready. She struggled early in the year - especially with turnovers, but she adjusted quickly and has been really, really good. She's a better passer than a scorer. But she also really, really needs the break after playing competitive basketball - and being in the public eye - nonstop since November. She'll have her opportunity, likely in four years. Most of the complaining has been from Iowa fans, who are a bit over the top in their enthusiasm for her at times.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Making Jimmy Fallon a part of this should result in a trial at the UN.
1723405770708.png

• Haha
Reactions: eightspokedb

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Katie Ledecky as the flag bearer at her final games...... I'm such a mark for this shit.

Highly unlikely it's her last games. She's stated her intention to keep going, and while a lot can change in 4 years, the lure of a home games to sign off on will be hard to resist. She'll be 31 by then, which for a swimmer is definitely getting on, but Sarah Sjostrom just won 2 golds at age 30, so it's not necessarily a problem, especially for someone as good and committed as Ledecky. Fully expect to see her again in LA.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
IOC will just do the easy thing and award bronzes to both competitors like when they gave the medals to the Russian and Canadian figure skater pairs in 2002 after the crooked judges got called out.

They got their podium moment that they wanted so everything after the fact is just paper transactions to them.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
It's going to be hard for the USOC to pull off a good show in 2028 because (and as someone living an hour outside of LA, I can say this), LA absolutely sucks. The city has no character or scenery whatsoever. If they stick to events at the Coliseum, Sofi, and Dodger Stadium, set up the NBC desk in UCLA or someplace that's well-landscaped, and just show the part of the torch ceremony going up and down Hollywood Blvd, they can maybe use TV magic to give off the impression that it's actually a functional world-class city and not an unlivable trash heap. Even in the best of scenarios they still have their hands full after what Paris was able to pull off.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
It's going to be hard for the USOC to pull off a good show in 2028 because (and as someone living an hour outside of LA, I can say this), LA absolutely sucks. The city has no character or scenery whatsoever. If they stick to events at the Coliseum, Sofi, and Dodger Stadium, set up the NBC desk in UCLA or someplace that's well-landscaped, and just show the part of the torch ceremony going up and down Hollywood Blvd, they can maybe use TV magic to give off the impression that it's actually a functional world-class city and not an unlivable trash heap. Even in the best of scenarios they still have their hands full after what Paris was able to pull off.

The scenes and backdrops of Paris were unique and can't be replicated, so don't try. The area around LA has some beautiful coastline, so probably make use of that, and otherwise just focus of having top-class facilities and a good, clean and modern 'Olympic Village' area. Give the athletes themselves every chance to be the stars and it should be fine. Even Paris has some very dirty areas but you wouldn't know it from the last two weeks, apart from the state of the Seine. These things can be hidden.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
IOC will just do the easy thing and award bronzes to both competitors like when they gave the medals to the Russian and Canadian figure skater pairs in 2002 after the crooked judges got called out.

They got their podium moment that they wanted so everything after the fact is just paper transactions to them.
They had their opportunity to and rejected the agreement between the US and Romania

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Faroe Islands
    Latvia vs Faroe Islands
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $225.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $472.00