Speculation: 2024 Offseason Talk

Azzuri

Feb 6, 2017
Steel disappointed me in n the playoffs wouldn't be sad if he left. I know Pete loves him tho.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Unless they don't qualify Dellandrea, he'll likely be making $945K next year because if he's smart he'll immediately sign the QO.

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
Big Jim Nill fan here. Really like the guy in interviews, comes across as both knowledgeable and humble. He gives a lot of credit to his scouts for the organization's young talent.
That being said I feel that he really dropped the ball with his roster construction for the playoffs. If his coach couldn't trust his 6th d any more than they did, it was a massive error. The obvious hole on the blueline screamed that they needed at least one more body. Depth on d is a must for the playoffs due to the likelihood of injury. THEN CT got hurt. They should have anticipated the possibility because of the way he plays, his age and the fact that he is only average in size. He was injured last year in the playoffs too for example. It was one of his minuses amid all his trade scenario discussions. You already dodged a bullet in that his (or any of the other d's) injury happened late in the playoffs. This took a blueline already ground down by too many minutes beyond the edge. Suter was exposed and both TH and MH were less effective, especially offensively. Really like the guy but I feel he really dropped the ball here.

Ratbath

Jul 3, 2019
Big Jim Nill fan here. Really like the guy in interviews, comes across as both knowledgeable and humble. He gives a lot of credit to his scouts for the organization's young talent.
That being said I feel that he really dropped the ball with his roster construction for the playoffs. If his coach couldn't trust his 6th d any more than they did, it was a massive error. The obvious hole on the blueline screamed that they needed at least one more body. Depth on d is a must for the playoffs due to the likelihood of injury. THEN CT got hurt. They should have anticipated the possibility because of the way he plays, his age and the fact that he is only average in size. He was injured last year in the playoffs too for example. It was one of his minuses amid all his trade scenario discussions. You already dodged a bullet in that his (or any of the other d's) injury happened late in the playoffs. This took a blueline already ground down by too many minutes beyond the edge. Suter was exposed and both TH and MH were less effective, especially offensively. Really like the guy but I feel he really dropped the ball here.
Hakanpaa was supposed to be the starter. I think it’s pretty obvious if they knew he was going to be out at the very least they don’t let Hanley go

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Let's hope the rumors of him having us as his #1 destination last year were true.

Betting odds have Detroit, Boston, and Colorado as the front-runners for Kane by a wide margin. Dallas is #4 at a 9% chance.. Doesn't mean anything though if we are #1 in his heart :sarcasm:

I hate that I could see him ending up in Colorado. Choose Dallas, Kane.

Of course, if we re-sign Duchene then it seems unlikely we target anymore top 6 forwards, but it depends on how they view the hole Pavelski left.

Sports2

WDI
Jul 1, 2018
You can only throw so much at the offense and insulate your top guys. If were creating depth to hedge against planning for our Robertsons and Hintzs to take a step back once the playoffs start I think thats a bad strategy. They need to be relied on and learn to adapt to the pressure and deliver.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Given 3 of our top 6 kill penalties well (Hintz, Johnston, Benn). I feel it makes Faksa tradeable.

If Steel and Dellandrea are able to be resigned cheap, to me that covers our PK need which is Faksas main benefit.

They will have to get creative, but to me it's more important to find 1 more top 6 via freeing up cap space...to allow the current cap space for 2 RHD. (Hopefully 1 being Tanev)

Also, because we don't have many picks I wonder if Dallas has a cut off date for Tanev. Eg not signed by June 25, trade his rights to a team that wants the head Start to sign him.

Might only get a 5th. But given its a lean draft. Could see that playout.

Hoping Tanev signs in Dallas though. Were such a better team with him there.

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
Let's hope the rumors of him having us as his #1 destination last year were true.

Betting odds have Detroit, Boston, and Colorado as the front-runners for Kane by a wide margin. Dallas is #4 at a 9% chance.. Doesn't mean anything though if we are #1 in his heart :sarcasm:

I hate that I could see him ending up in Colorado. Choose Dallas, Kane.

Of course, if we re-sign Duchene then it seems unlikely we target anymore top 6 forwards, but it depends on how they view the hole Pavelski left.

Yes let’s get 88 in green. Perfect replacement for pavelski and an upgrade as well. Let him feed Hintz and Robo with his amazing passes. He would make the PP lethal as well.

too374

Jun 5, 2024
I loved Klingberg, but I'd like to offer some perspective.

When Klingberg was called up to play his first NHL game he was 22.2 years old. When Harley went through the handshake line with the Oilers a few days ago, he was 22.8 years old.
I'm not comparing one for one. Harley seems to be offering much more on the defensive end. I just think specifically on the power play klingberg was one of the best, better than Miro yet Miro is very clearly better overall. I think it's very easy to blame the coach, not saying he is blameless, for bad special teams but we don't have Seguin clapping bombs from the ovi spot anymore we won't have pavs in the low slot. I thing personal is really important for the niche roles you have on the power play/pk.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I'm not comparing one for one. Harley seems to be offering much more on the defensive end. I just think specifically on the power play klingberg was one of the best, better than Miro yet Miro is very clearly better overall. I think it's very easy to blame the coach, not saying he is blameless, for bad special teams but we don't have Seguin clapping bombs from the ovi spot anymore we won't have pavs in the low slot. I thing personal is really important for the niche roles you have on the power play/pk.
I just think you're underselling Harley's offensive game. At age 22, Harley scored 15 goals and 47 points, and very little of it came from the PP. Of those numbers, he only got 1 goal and 8 assists on the PP, mostly because he was the least used of the ten main PP guys thanks to Miro getting a lot of time with both units.

I think it might actually make sense to flip them to put Harley on the top PP unit and Miro on the second unit to lessen Miro's load there to free him up for getting some PK time.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
My dream D core for next season

Heiskanen-Walker
Harley-Tanev
Lindell-Bischel
Lundqvist

In no way is Esa a bottom pairing D man, but think that LD - RD pairing situation is perfect. Good partner for Bischel too.

I know alot like Roy as a signing. Just feel walker is a touch cheaper, but would be super effective.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I don't want Walker at all, definitely not anywhere above the third pair. Also some say one reason PDB doesn't like Nils is because of his size and Walker is the same size.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
mid round pick for the right to negotiate a little early? that's just crazy.
Nill did it before to get Ben Bishop, but the Stars are more than a little depleted in that area for the next couple of seasons. They still have their first round picks, but Nill traded a lot of 2nd through 4th picks to go for it the past couple of seasons. It’s partly why we should expect him to be quiet on the trade front unless he gets some green light from Gaglardi to go crazy.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I would actually offer Sam Steel a long term deal, 4 to 5 years, to keep the AAV down. Dude is one of the best bottom 6 players the Stars have ever had and he's 26. The player would get stability/security/his first real contract and the team would get certainty knowing that role is filled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad