Speculation: 2024 Offseason Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
Is there any under the radar trade options or someone y’all are interested in? Maybe a way to get that top 6 guy while sending a guy like Faksa back. I believe his NTC is like 5 teams and he is in the final year of his contract.

Putting 2 rookies in your top 6 is risky.

Reactions: Dallasman

too374

Jun 5, 2024
Is there any under the radar trade options or someone y’all are interested in? Maybe a way to get that top 6 guy while sending a guy like Faksa back. I believe his NTC is like 5 teams and he is in the final year of his contract.

Putting 2 rookies in your top 6 is risky.
I don't think people view stakoven as a rookie. He has played some 45 games and looked the part. Benn-stankoven-johnson has consistently been the stars best like since the trade deadline. Even with bourque if he needs more sheltered minutes the third line has guys who can move up with Seguin and marchment. Seguin iirc had a similar surgery to been a year or two ago, back of my mind I'm hoping he continues to rebound to his old self like benn did.

I also just don't think faksa gets traded. A replacement level player that can pk like him is already gonna cost North of 1.5 so you really are not creating that much cap space once you factor that in. Same reason buying out suter last year didn't make sense you were getting some relief but you could not find a better defenceman for that relief price, suter isn't a all-star but he was not below a league average bottom 6 dman. It makes more sense this season financially.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
16M with 13/23 roster slots is not a ton of money to play with, even if the cap is 88M

You're looking at 4-5% of 88M getting allocated to Harley. That's 3.5 to 4.4M, meet that in the middle at 4M and you've got 12M to play with on 9 skaters.

too374

Jun 5, 2024
defensive ufas in the budget for the stars i think would be good are guys like Ekman-larsson who is still rebounding from injury, id bet he continues to rebound and is currently undervalued 3*3.7 . Or a cheaper rhd like Alexandre carrier something like 3*2.7.
Also bc hot takes are fun. Im not convinced Harley or Heiskanen are really pp quarterbacks. Maybe we were spoiled by klingberg, who although had faults of his own, was one of the premier pp guys in the league. Oel may fill that gap even if it's just on pp2.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I don't think people view stakoven as a rookie. He has played some 45 games and looked the part. Benn-stankoven-johnson has consistently been the stars best like since the trade deadline. Even with bourque if he needs more sheltered minutes the third line has guys who can move up with Seguin and marchment. Seguin iirc had a similar surgery to been a year or two ago, back of my mind I'm hoping he continues to rebound to his old self like benn did.
Stankoven is absolutely a rookie. You can tell he's going to be a special player- but development isn't linear. Look at how Matty Beniers' season went. Shit happens and the Stars need to insulate the rookies (Bork, Stankoven) with killers.

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022

I also just don't think faksa gets traded. A replacement level player that can pk like him is already gonna cost North of 1.5 so you really are not creating that much cap space once you factor that in. Same reason buying out suter last year didn't make sense you were getting some relief but you could not find a better defenceman for that relief price, suter isn't a all-star but he was not below a league average bottom 6 dman. It makes more sense this season financially.
I agree. He looks the part. But he is still considered a rookie which will help when he gets his clader trophy.

I also think there are plenty of guys on this roster that can kill penalties. Faksa sat during the playoffs and it did not make a difference with him out. The issue with moving him is the cost. He is clearly a cap dump. Just sucks to tie up that much to a guy you don’t need.

too374

Jun 5, 2024
I also think there are plenty of guys on this roster that can kill penalties. Faksa sat during the playoffs and it did not make a difference with him out.
Counterpoint the pk in game 5 and 6 against edm🥲

Prob wouldn't have made a difference

Reactions: roryjones

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I agree. He looks the part. But he is still considered a rookie which will help when he gets his clader trophy.

I also think there are plenty of guys on this roster that can kill penalties. Faksa sat during the playoffs and it did not make a difference with him out. The issue with moving him is the cost. He is clearly a cap dump. Just sucks to tie up that much to a guy you don’t need.
He did sit and I agree maybe not but it's some Monday Morning QB type shit but Faksa led the team in PK TOI throughout the regular season- with a decent amount of success too. How much of that identity was lost during playoffs?

Reactions: roryjones

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022

No. It was impressive that Dallas held them without a PP goal that long. They have an amazing PP cause of who they have. Faksa would have done nothing to stop those goals.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland

lmao we're on the same wave length with this one. It is peculiar. Clearly Sam Steel can PK well but the having Dellandrea replace Faksa on the PKwas a major yikes

Reactions: LT

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Statistically, Delly was pretty good, and I wasn't as scared of him on the ice as you were. He may not be as good as Faksa at PK and D in general, but he should continue to improve. Given lack of cap space and draft picks, I don't think it is worth getting some UFA or a trade to improve on him. No roster is perfect under the cap, and really, our bottom six did generally outplay other teams, so even if he is a downgrade, we get to an average 4th line, which isn't the worst place to be.

Reactions: Magic Mittens

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Stankoven is absolutely a rookie. You can tell he's going to be a special player- but development isn't linear. Look at how Matty Beniers' season went. Shit happens and the Stars need to insulate the rookies (Bork, Stankoven) with killers.
i don't mind starting the season counting on stank and mav, and having a clear idea of what you need to add at the deadline. also gives you more $$ to work with.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
No reason Delly can’t improve at his age. I’m not talking about offensively but he can get better at defense and PK. Probably should work on avoiding huge hits for his own wellbeing as well.

i don't mind starting the season counting on stank and mav, and having a clear idea of what you need to add at the deadline. also gives you more $$ to work with.
Wait until the marner situation becomes so ugly that we can get him for peanuts.

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
Am I the only one that would love Smith back? I know he’s probably replaceable with a younger player, but if we’re already replacing vets with Mavrik and a full season of Stankoven, I think his veteran presence would be nice. Also doesn’t hurt that he’s dirt cheap and pretty effective.

Steel is also a no brainer to me, especially considering his age.

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
Anyone have any interest in Kakko? Maybe he can rehab his career with all Fins on this team. He is still only 23. Maybe he can have a Nichushkin type turnaround just without the drugs and prostitutes.

Reactions: LT

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Also bc hot takes are fun. Im not convinced Harley or Heiskanen are really pp quarterbacks. Maybe we were spoiled by klingberg, who although had faults of his own, was one of the premier pp guys in the league. Oel may fill that gap even if it's just on pp2.
I loved Klingberg, but I'd like to offer some perspective.

When Klingberg was called up to play his first NHL game he was 22.2 years old. When Harley went through the handshake line with the Oilers a few days ago, he was 22.8 years old.

Klingberg didn't get to play his first playoff games until the following season, where his numbers weren't good. It wasn't until he was 26 years old that Klingberg had a playoff run where he put up impressive numbers.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
WDI

IMG_7167.jpeg

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Going out on a limb here, actually a huge steel girder, Star will NOT win a Cup with PDB at the helm.
If the Stars don't advance farther, I don't think DeBoer is as much a hindrance as the roster.

I'm excited for Johnston, Bourque, Stankoven, and Harley, but only one of them really came through big in the playoffs. Oettinger rebounded from a bad playoff run last season and a largely poor regular season. I'm optimistic about them all because we all love to assume young guys get better with time.

The thing is not getting farther in the playoffs does leave a bit of a sour taste considering the roster was better than last season. And it's easy to look at the numbers Duchene and Pavelski put up in the playoffs and expect virtually anyone given their spots could do at least as much, but...

It really was disappointing seeing Hintz and Robertson regress so much both in the regular season and playoffs. I don't know what to make of it. Yeah, Pavelski's game slipping was going to hurt their numbers, but even when Pavelski got moved off of their line, it's not like they found a new gear.

This is a long-winded way of wondering whether there is any reason to think the team even can go farther in the playoffs without having the big names do big name player things. This is three long playoff runs in a row where Hintz faded dramatically the deeper the team got (two now for Robertson).

I have no doubt they'll make the playoffs next year. This is still a very good team, but I have no reason to think they'll go any farther because they just don't have that elite, game-breakjng talent.

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
If the Stars don't advance farther, I don't think DeBoer is as much a hindrance as the roster.

I'm excited for Johnston, Bourque, Stankoven, and Harley, but only one of them really came through big in the playoffs. Oettinger rebounded from a bad playoff run last season and a largely poor regular season. I'm optimistic about them all because we all love to assume young guys get better with time.

The thing is not getting farther in the playoffs does leave a bit of a sour taste considering the roster was better than last season. And it's easy to look at the numbers Duchene and Pavelski put up in the playoffs and expect virtually anyone given their spots could do at least as much, but...

It really was disappointing seeing Hintz and Robertson regress so much both in the regular season and playoffs. I don't know what to make of it. Yeah, Pavelski's game slipping was going to hurt their numbers, but even when Pavelski got moved off of their line, it's not like they found a new gear.

This is a long-winded way of wondering whether there is any reason to think the team even can go farther in the playoffs without having the big names do big name player things. This is three long playoff runs in a row where Hintz faded dramatically the deeper the team got (two now for Robertson).

I have no doubt they'll make the playoffs next year. This is still a very good team, but I have no reason to think they'll go any farther because they just don't have that elite, game-breakjng talent.
I agree with you for the most part, but maybe Robertson and Hintz aren't those guys on this team and that's okay, we aren't currently breaking the bank on them. Maybe one or two of Johnston, Stank, or Bourque become those guys and Hintz and Robertson are the elite depth guys you need on a more developed run (sort of like a better version of what Benn and Seguin are now). For me I think the bigger issue might be the coaching and actual proper deployment of this team. If you look at the Edmonton series, it was about 5 periods that absolutely killed us and a lot of it was over using guys like Pavelski and Benn, not making any adjustments, and not developing any kind of response to our 0-15 pp. Better management in this series, with this roster, we could be in finals. And we can be in the finals for the next few years with this roster and it wouldn't shock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad