Speculation: 2024 Offseason Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Nill did it before to get Ben Bishop, but the Stars are more than a little depleted in that area for the next couple of seasons. They still have their first round picks, but Nill traded a lot of 2nd through 4th picks to go for it the past couple of seasons. It’s partly why we should expect him to be quiet on the trade front unless he gets some green light from Gaglardi to go crazy.
Wasn’t that just a 6th or 7th?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
My answers to some rando comments in this thread:

Yes, Nill should have had more D. However, when he kept 8 D around this board crucified him as wasting money on that.

Some say we can't win with PDB, well I think they say that about every coach and player until they actually do win. (Think Eddie Belfour when we got him....that was the knock but he didn't play on the favored team in his trips to the PO until the '99 Stars.)

Some suggest replacing our top guys with "proven playoff performers." The fact is, no player has probably ever had a consistent year to year performance in the PO's. Hintz was great last year, possibly injured and less effective this year. Neither has anything to do with how he will do next year if we make the playoffs again.

Some say we should go for more top end players. Frankly, it is probably statistically better to do what Nill did - acquire enough talent so that if one goes down, the others can step up. No guarantee that they will, but if McDavid goes down early this round, his replacement is unlikely to step up, there is too big a gap.

Basically, any plan a GM has is a crapshoot. It is sometimes luck when a team gets hot at playoff time. In retrospect, maybe playing less hard to get that home ice advantage wore them out too much. However, we will probably get in as a low seed next year, and lose a road game 7 to stop us. Then we will clamor to play for the Western Conference crown, and that may fail again, as well.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Some say we should go for more top end players. Frankly, it is probably statistically better to do what Nill did - acquire enough talent so that if one goes down, the others can step up. No guarantee that they will, but if McDavid goes down early this round, his replacement is unlikely to step up, there is too big a gap.
You're right if your big super star gets hurt, you're done, but I don't think I agree about the odds.

It seems like most every Cup winner has at least one forward who is a superstar stat producer and award contender. It's such a common trait that I think the odds of a team of depth very good guys winning the Cup (like the Blues a few years ago) is significantly less than a team with a top end forward winning.

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
Hakanpaa was supposed to be the starter. I think it’s pretty obvious if they knew he was going to be out at the very least they don’t let Hanley go
I was under the impression that he was ready to go late in the second round.

Azzuri

Feb 6, 2017
Hakanpaa's career is probably done from what we've heard. Sounds like he'll need the same surgery Bishop got.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Hakanpaa's career is probably done from what we've heard. Sounds like he'll need the same surgery Bishop got.

Yeah but that doesn't end a skaters career just a goalies according to Bishop

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
Who are you?
Let's just say I'm someone who has seen PDB's entire NHL career and the trajectory from when he joins a team until he is let go is not an advancing trajectory in the playoffs. More like a quick spike and then a fizzle.

You like him in Big D? Good, you can have him.

Last edited:

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
You're right if your big super star gets hurt, you're done, but I don't think I agree about the odds.

It seems like most every Cup winner has at least one forward who is a superstar stat producer and award contender. It's such a common trait that I think the odds of a team of depth very good guys winning the Cup (like the Blues a few years ago) is significantly less than a team with a top end forward winning.
I think you are right that we can't calculate the odds, as every year is different.

The Stars have several top end forwards, but no superstar. It is near miraculous that they compete without every tanking to get the top pick. Getting Miro at no. 3 shows how much moving up in the draft helps, and PIT and CHI got that lottery luck three times each. So few teams have gotten that lucky, and Nill did a great job of building a roster without much draft lottery luck, but some shrewed picks. For about 28 teams in the league, that is the best they can hope for.

It will also be interesting to see if Florida with their balanced roster will beat EDM and how that will affect our opinions. Time will tell.

too374

Jun 5, 2024
we have 15 mil to sign 8 players and people talking about signing a top 6 player :skull:

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
If you don't win the Cup, you try to improve your team, starting with your weakest area and working up. No doubt our weakest spot is D, so if we get anyone (and I hope it's Tanev) it should be a Dman.

We also know we have to take a chance with a few rookies for cap reasons, i.e., Mavs and Liam and hope they grow up quickly.

Reactions: redbeardtx

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
With the cap getting to 88m currently have around 17m cap room

If Suter is bought out then will be just under 20m (19.5)

Would need to use around 13m of that on defense

Harley $4m on a bridge
Tanev $4 x 3 or 4 years
Nils QO - 900k
Sign one more veteran RD for around 3 to 4 mil

Leaves around 6 mill to fill out the forward roles. Sign Dell for 900k, steel for ~1.1m. I'd also be open to Smith resigning at 1m.

That plan above fills the line up and has $3m. Ideally Duchene would Sign on a 3x3 or something. But if he moves on, perhaps leave the cap space for the trade deadline.

Also have the option to trade Faksa in season and cap space Would be near 6m if we can't sign Duchene.

The concept of having nearly 6m in cap space for a major deadline player would be enticing. Team is probably good enough to be top 3 in central without that capspace used.

Line up below assuming we're unable to get Duchene

Robertson-Hintz-Stankoven
Benn-Johnston-Dadonov
Marchment-Borque-Seguin
Steel-Faksa-Smith
Dellandrea

Heiskanen-FA
Harley-Tanev
Lindell-Bischel
Lundqvist

At deadline trade for a top 6 winger and a veteran defenseman

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
With the cap getting to 88m currently have around 17m cap room

If Suter is bought out then will be just under 20m (19.5)

Would need to use around 13m of that on defense

Harley $4m on a bridge
Tanev $4 x 3 or 4 years
Nils QO - 900k
Sign one more veteran RD for around 3 to 4 mil

Leaves around 6 mill to fill out the forward roles. Sign Dell for 900k, steel for ~1.1m. I'd also be open to Smith resigning at 1m.

That plan above fills the line up and has $3m. Ideally Duchene would Sign on a 3x3 or something. But if he moves on, perhaps leave the cap space for the trade deadline.

Also have the option to trade Faksa in season and cap space Would be near 6m if we can't sign Duchene.

The concept of having nearly 6m in cap space for a major deadline player would be enticing. Team is probably good enough to be top 3 in central without that capspace used.

Line up below assuming we're unable to get Duchene

Robertson-Hintz-Stankoven
Benn-Johnston-Dadonov
Marchment-Borque-Seguin
Steel-Faksa-Smith
Dellandrea

Heiskanen-FA
Harley-Tanev
Lindell-Bischel
Lundqvist

At deadline trade for a top 6 winger and a veteran defenseman
Everything looks good but qualifying Nils. It’s a waste of money that can be used elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad