Speculation: 2024 Offseason Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
You never know...
Didn't it come out that the Brady Tkachuk trade rumors were entirely false?
Staois put them to rest pretty fast, yeah.

Don’t know how you improve the team then. If you keep Tanev/most of the ufas outside of Hak and Duchene, the money gets pretty hairy without both buying out Suter and trading Faksa.
Still early so who knows what happens.

I'll do my best to keep everyone in the loop if I can.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Suter needs 56 games to hit 1500. Probably about the same amount he would play if PDB would rest him a third of the time. He might be fine as the no. 7, at least after he gets those games. Our only problem is we have no one at present to address those minutes/games lost if you figure we move on from Tanev, Jani, and Nils.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Suter needs 56 games to hit 1500. Probably about the same amount he would play if PDB would rest him a third of the time. He might be fine as the no. 7, at least after he gets those games. Our only problem is we have no one at present to address those minutes/games lost if you figure we move on from Tanev, Jani, and Nils.
He's gonna have to find another team to sucker for those 56 games

BigTomBomber

Nov 17, 2017
Don’t know how you improve the team then. If you keep Tanev/most of the ufas outside of Hak and Duchene, the money gets pretty hairy without both buying out Suter and trading Faksa.

I would think the plan is to run it back with Bourque replacing Duchene, and Dadanov filling in the final spot of the top 9. 4th line doesnt change (Steele and Dell RFA deals)

Robo / Hintz / Johnston
Benn / Bourqu / Stank
Mush / Seguin / Daddy
Steee / faksa / Dell

Nill will have to work his magic on getting a UFA dman(~$3.5m) to slot with Harley. Suter/Nils can hold down the third oair until Bischel’s ready and/ or a TDL acquisition

Accrue cap space and make the playoffs. This is a good team, I don’t think much beeds To be changed

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Its a good team but the team is losing a lot of production through the loss of Pavelski and Duchene… yet we expect two rookies to fit right in? Those are high, unrealistic, expectations.

I'd say Bourque's AHL season de-risks too much of a production drop off for one of the two and I think realistically the team could take a hit to the offensive depth if it means that a better RHD was added.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Its a good team but the team is losing a lot of production through the loss of Pavelski and Duchene… yet we expect two rookies to fit right in? Those are high, unrealistic, expectations.
Stank got I think 43 games this season, he'll be fine.

Reactions: LT

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I'd say Bourque's AHL season de-risks too much of a production drop off for one of the two and I think realistically the team could take a hit to the offensive depth if it means that a better RHD was added.

Stank got I think 43 games this season, he'll be fine.
I love those two boys, but on paper that forward group looks way weaker than last years. Im also never buying into Team HockeysFuture- it doesnt happen.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I would not say marchment and Tkachuk is a wash. Yes, they are the same size but Brady uses his size to impose his will. He gets close to 300 hits a year. Mason is around 100. Brady is a younger and more talented Benn.
Note that I specifically said wash in terms of size only.

Reactions: roryjones

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
God dammit. I simply cannot respond on mobile because the page refreshes every 2 minutes deleting my draft. This f***ing site can burn in hell. Go stars

The mobile site is literally toxic with how many shitty ads there are on it. If Noscript worked on my phone I'd be a happy camper.

Also, there's plenty of money available even without moving Faksa or buying out Suter.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
The mobile site is literally toxic with how many shitty ads there are on it. If Noscript worked on my phone I'd be a happy camper.

Also, there's plenty of money available even without moving Faksa or buying out Suter.

I forgot how bad the mobile site was. I use it all the time but I switched to Brave as my browser cause someone recommended it on here and haven't looked bad. Haven't had a single ad since then.

Ehlers apparently is happy to be moved. I'd imagine we might see a Necas for Ehlers swap. No chance the Jets trade him within the division

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I would think the plan is to run it back with Bourque replacing Duchene, and Dadanov filling in the final spot of the top 9. 4th line doesnt change (Steele and Dell RFA deals)

Robo / Hintz / Johnston
Benn / Bourqu / Stank
Mush / Seguin / Daddy
Steee / faksa / Dell

Nill will have to work his magic on getting a UFA dman(~$3.5m) to slot with Harley. Suter/Nils can hold down the third oair until Bischel’s ready and/ or a TDL acquisition

Accrue cap space and make the playoffs. This is a good team, I don’t think much beeds To be changed

It’s missing a guy like Kane or Stammer.

That forward group sets us back. Like Satan said, we’re relying too much on futures with that lineup.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
A little update:

IF we buyout Suter, Faksa won't be moved...
Ugh, why do you hate me. We need to shed salary and get faster. Faska is a net negative at that price. If Utah needs help to get to the salary cap or Chicago is looking for a one year deal to flip at the deadline Faska makes sense. He's not a solution to anything here.

Azzuri

Feb 6, 2017
Nill loves his depth so he'll find some middle 6 forwards to insulate Bourque if needed. But the spending balanced needs to go to the Defense vs a high end forward.

Reactions: Elysian

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Nill will have to get creative.

Trading Radek after a few playoff scratches will net nothing, although Nill might be happy to get some draft picks back.

There are some years where teams just have to bite the bullet and put the rookies in, if they have them. No sense building up the prospect pool only to never use it or even over season it.

Technically Stank is still a rookie, but he doesn't feel like it and Mavs looked okay in his one playoff game. Putting two rookies on a team each year isn't all that unusual and it is typically necessary - 20 players and an average NHL lifespan of 10 years (probably actually closer to 6 years) means you need a few rookies every year, unless you can keep buying UFA like Gainey did back in the day.

Short version, Mavs and LiamB (nickname the lamb?) should be on the team, and they need to count on Delly to make a step up as well. He has the hustle, which is most of what you need to be a checking winger, even if he will never light the lamp consistently.

The biggest problem with that plan is I'm not as excited about the rest of the prospect pool at either FW or D.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I don't like that 3rd line at all. Daddy isn't good enough if we are expecting that line to put up quasi 2nd line numbers
Daddy should be your 10th forward. Dallas needs a top 9 player to replace Duchene with Bourque replacing Pavs.

At this point I'd consider trading back in order to dump Faska. Buyout Suter and see if any team is trying to dump a decent defender for whatever reason. The roster isn't bad but it needs help and that can't happen with Suter/Faska sucking up almost $8m in cap space.

On a completely different note, does anyone have an opinion on whether Martino is worth an ELC? That depth chart behind Mav is barren. If he has top 9 upside I hope he signs. Going back for his senior year seems dumb.

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
I think Nill will get a top 9 forward. If pavelski retires and duchene is gone cause he wants too much that is Pavs 67 points which was 2nd on the team and duchene 65 tied for 3rd. That’s a ton to replace and expect two rookies to replace it. Sure Wyatt may increase and Robo for sure could do it but running it back with the same roster is not a good idea.

This is Jim Nill not Jerry and Stephen Jones that watches all the free agents walk out the door and try to sell fans on rookies and guys who have not proven anything. Nill is significantly better at his job than the clown operation at the Star.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I think Nill will get a top 9 forward. If pavelski retires and duchene is gone cause he wants too much that is Pavs 67 points which was 2nd on the team and duchene 65 tied for 3rd. That’s a ton to replace and expect two rookies to replace it. Sure Wyatt may increase and Robo for sure could do it but running it back with the same roster is not a good idea.

This is Jim Nill not Jerry and Stephen Jones that watches all the free agents walk out the door and try to sell fans on rookies and guys who have not proven anything. Nill is significantly better at his job than the clown operation at the Star.
Ya I’m fairly confident Nill will be adding a top 6 forward this offseason to play somewhere in our top 9.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Wishful thinking posts around socials today that pavelski signs as a FA in late Feb, has his body up for a 4 month playoff run.

Not the worst idea!

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Wishful thinking posts around socials today that pavelski signs as a FA in late Feb, has his body up for a 4 month playoff run.

Not the worst idea!

As long as he's willing to sign for league min and eat healthy scratches if necessary

He will still be slow as f*** though unfortunately so unless the rest of our lineup is fast or are just not NHL level players, I'm not too interested

too374

Jun 5, 2024
been lurking for a while.

Most of the guys mentioned here are way out of the price range of the stars. Faksa still has a nmc i very much doubt he goes. On defense nils stock is so low resigning him at 950k is a no brainer, he is a nhl caliber player and still 24 much to the chagrin of pdb. defensive ufas in the budget for the stars i think would be good are guys like Ekman-larsson who is still rebounding from injury, id bet he continues to rebound and is currently undervalued 3*3.7 . Or a cheaper rhd like Alexandre carrier something like 3*2.7.

If your hoping to get another coup in fa like duchene last year targeting a guy like Arvidsson who was injured last year is an option at 3rw. Another option on that side for cheaper are like daniel sprong or monahan or even david perron if its a really cheap deal as he is 36 already.

this kinda illustrates the small margins we have to work with and how little cap the stars actually have

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad