Speculation: 2024 Offseason Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
Yeah, nothing has me more excited than seeing 132 regular season points vanish from thin air with Duchene and Pavelski not returning.
True. But we were all wishing Pavs was a healthy scratch in the playoffs. I wish he had enough juice left in him for this last run. Duchene could still return

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
True. But we were all wishing Pavs was a healthy scratch in the playoffs. I wish he had enough juice left in him for this last run
Sure, I'm not advocating to bring him back - but it's a big regular season production loss. We didn't have to worry about the team making playoffs going into the regular season because they were so deep.

There's still the draft and free agency to wade through but with only ~17M in cap space to spend on like 10 roster spots, there is no convincing me that this team is in a better place now than it was last September.

I think it's absolutely nuts to peg this organization to get back to the WCF when you consider the losses in Pavelski/Duchene/Tanev.

Reactions: Dallasman

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
Sure, I'm not advocating to bring him back - but it's a big regular season production loss. We didn't have to worry about the team making playoffs going into the regular season because they were so deep.

There's still the draft and free agency to wade through but with only ~17M in cap space to spend on like 10 roster spots, there is no convincing me that this team is in a better place now than it was last September.

I think it's absolutely nuts to peg this organization to get back to the WCF when you consider the losses in Pavelski/Duchene/Tanev.
Yeah, I keep telling myself this year was our chance. If we buyout Suter or trade Faksa then I will have more hope for next season (if we spend the money wisely).

Azzuri

Feb 6, 2017
Yeah, nothing has me more excited than seeing 132 regular season points vanish from thin air with Duchene and Pavelski not returning.

Those players get replaced by someone... Maybe Mavs doesn't produce the same amount as Duchene, but he won't produce zero. They'll sign some winger to play in the top 9 most likely who will pick up some points. Wyjo will get Pavs' PP minutes and see an increase over his current production. It's not all gone in a vacuum.

Right now i would love to see:

Robo-Hintz-Seguin
Marchment-Wyatt-XXX
Benn-Bourque-Stankoven
Steel-Dell-Smith

Dadanov can fill that top 9 RW spot for a bit until the TDL, or they'll go for Kane/Ehlers/someone. Will we have as many regular season points among forwards? Probably not. Having so many 20 goal scorers was nice, but the vets weren't able to replicate it when the playoff intensity went up. We were slow and old. Giving those minutes to the kids will be an improvement IMO. But it allows us to have more youth and speed in our top 9. Which may give us more energy for these long fight/back to back games/slow first periods in the grind. Not to mention the value of development years for Mavs/Logan/Wyatt.

Most importantly, 3 top 9 ELCs lets us redistribute money into the blueline depth which is desperately needed.

Reactions: piqued

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
A question mark going into next season will be Seguins health.

Had to be heavily managed in the last part of this year. Toughed out playoffs and played well, but concern his injury is degenerative and will continue to be a problem.

Would be wise to sign Duchene if for no other reason acknowledge Dallas would be a top 6 injury away from being lean on offense.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
You never know...
A question mark going into next season will be Seguins health.

Had to be heavily managed in the last part of this year. Toughed out playoffs and played well, but concern his injury is degenerative and will continue to be a problem.

Would be wise to sign Duchene if for no other reason acknowledge Dallas would be a top 6 injury away from being lean on offense.
Keep an eye on Seguin's health...

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
In the last 2 years, we have had a great Benn and average Seguin, and then an above average Sequin and below average Benn. Realistically, I think Nill will plan on both having down years next year.

And, the thing about the top 9 this year was that spreading out the ice time was supposed to help them be rested for the playoffs, but we appeared to run out of gas, so maybe more rest time was needed for anyone over 30. Maybe even 28 or so.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
And, the thing about the top 9 this year was that spreading out the ice time was supposed to help them be rested for the playoffs, but we appeared to run out of gas, so maybe more rest time was needed for anyone over 30. Maybe even 28 or so.
This is part of the reason I am anti-signing bottom 6 players who don't kill. For as effective as Craig Smith was for a lot of the season his presence has the knock-on effect of meaning Hintz/Seguin/Benn have to kill penalties. I don't care if they're good at it or whatever, just no. That's time you could be keeping them fresh, especially Hintz. The team has to think strategically with the entire year in their minds and not just what is in front of them.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
Keep an eye on Seguin's health...
I recall Duchene saying in the interview that he will need offseason surgery. I wonder what happens if we put him on ltir. We will definitely need to improve the offense.

Duchene said in an interview Seguin would need surgery after the season. I'm curious to see what it is and whether it's the same right leg he's had get completely wrecked so far.
Beat me to it.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
There still hasn't been an official injury report yet, has there?

Guess we won't know until after the playoffs
That's usually stuff said either in a post game press conference or the day after the season ends when guys are cleaning out their stuff. I've not seen any report on who was playing with what injury other than the confirmation about Tanev's ankle injury.

Reactions: Elysian

Arkham32

Nov 9, 2012
Off-Topic - I was subscribed to the athletic but since there stars content is now non-existent. Anybody know of any other good sites that cover Sports in a similar way or just NHL? Thinking Dave Castillo is one but thats purely stars wondering if theres anything similar to the Athletic NHL.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Off-Topic - I was subscribed to the athletic but since there stars content is now non-existent. Anybody know of any other good sites that cover Sports in a similar way or just NHL? Thinking Dave Castillo is one but thats purely stars wondering if theres anything similar to the Athletic NHL.

EPRinkside is the truth. It's heavy on draft and prospect stuff, but Sean writes there and has some excellent features, depending on your tolerance for Ryan Lambert (I like him), his columns are always fun reads, and Dimitri Filipovic is one of the best analysts in hockey (admittedly biased because he lets me make MMA and boxing analogies on his show but still).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad