GDT: 2024 NHL Trade Deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How many trades do the Avs make?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Provided a goalie trade doesn't trickle in... they are taking a risk in that area and we will just have to see how it works out.
I'm really surprised. They were so aggressive at addressing the issue of forward depth -- but they're comfortable risking goaltending killing all of their efforts?

twostroke2023

Dec 15, 2023
Provided a goalie trade doesn't trickle in... they are taking a risk in that area and we will just have to see how it works out.

I’m not going to complain but I can’t help but think of a certain other Avs team that tried to get a good forward group and tried to rest on a budget goalie. What can go wrong?

AVSfan2daMAX

Nov 24, 2006
Hopefully Justus is served.

CMac work this week has put the Avs firmly amongst the top contenders. If they get decent goaltending, they're going to be a problem.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Missing on a goaltender is only a miss if there was something out there to miss on.

George wouldn't want to backup anyone, so unless he was to be traded and replaced with someone he was always going to be our #1 going into the playoffs. If he was being floated, who was available as a #1? And for what price.

If there were no 1G options out there, then the question becomes what backups out there would we be comfortable with in the playoffs? More so than Annunen

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The only thing i hate about this deadline is dealing out the first to dump ryjo. Unless sean walker absolutely crushes it of course. Im gonna have to trust the pro scouts on this.

To win against a team like Vegas, we basically need to abuse LTIR. If we have a vet thats sucking, LTIR you go, we're not giving out assets.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Had a feeling they migth not trade for a goalie.

Annunen and Prosvetov have been playing really well, and there's no guarantee a mystery box goalie would be able to learn the Avs system and tendencies quickly and be a better option.

Honestly, if George doesn't play well, we'd probably be in trouble anyway, unless they paid a high price for a 1B type.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
They had the cap space to make Kahkonen work without any need for retention. Hard to believe they wound't just flip a 4th over there to snag insurance. Maybe SJ was simply to busy to take the call.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Is he though? And if he is superior, is he far superior?

I don't see it.
I like Mittelstadt, but having a line of Lehky/Landy - Hertl - Nuke would shutdown any line in the league.

Hertl had absolutely nothing to work with in San Jose. The only knock's on his game is he isn't an amazing play driver like Kadri.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
We won a cup with Kuemper and Franky in net.....As long as our D can hold the fort and our top guns keep rolling it can be done.....

I think this team is as deep as the team 2022.....Hell, on paper they might look even better....

And with Duhaime, Trenin, Rosco, Wood we will be a pain in the ass for every team we face...

Vegas might have gotten the shinny toys again, but overall i think the Avs are the team to beat in the west....

And maybe, BIG MAYBE, we will see the return of captain Gabe.....

Reactions: jabubenice

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Missing on a goaltender is only a miss if there was something out there to miss on.

George wouldn't want to backup anyone, so unless he was to be traded and replaced with someone he was always going to be our #1 going into the playoffs. If he was being floated, who was available as a #1? And for what price.

If there were no 1G options out there, then the question becomes what backups out there would we be comfortable with in the playoffs? More so than Annunen

There were clearly two #1s who have played well available in Markstrom and Ullmark. Then a few guys who have been 1s. More that are just 1b/backup types.

On the cost... we saw Allen's cost. We've heard the rumblings on the others. But really with what the Avs have spent what is a bit more? Alongside that, if the Avs fail due to goaltending... what is that cost organizationally?

The results will matter and the Avs are simply taking a risk. Only time will tell if the risk was wise or not.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Justus will break out like Cam Ward and lead us to the promise land. Hell of a vote of confidence by coaching and management whether is was intentional or not.

Reactions: xAvsx89

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Ok well... Vegas is the only team that scares me in the West. Every other team is far weaker on paper.

MacKinnon - Mittelstadt - Colton - Trenin
vs
Eichel - Hertl - Karlsson - Stephenson

Jesus Christ is that going to be a bloodbath if they meet up. Makar might be the difference maker there.
MacKinnon > Eichel
Mittelstadt ≥ Hertl
Colton < Karlsson
Trenin < Stephenson

Our top guys are better. That matters more. Defences are pretty equal. I like our wingers more.

The difference to me is goaltending. Adin Hill got it done last year. Georgiev is still an unknown.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
There were clearly two #1s who have played well available in Markstrom and Ullmark. Then a few guys who have been 1s. More that are just 1b/backup types.

On the cost... we saw Allen's cost. We've heard the rumblings on the others. But really with what the Avs have spent what is a bit more? Alongside that, if the Avs fail due to goaltending... what is that cost organizationally?

The results will matter and the Avs are simply taking a risk. Only time will tell if the risk was wise or not.
Ullmark had a NTC, there's no guarantee he was available to us. Available to some, maybe, but maybe not us.

As for Markstrom, hard to tell on his availability. NJ ended up with f***ing Allen, if Markstrom was truly being shopped there were definite suitors.

It's hard to tell who is available and who isn't. So again, its only a miss if we had a shot.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
MacKinnon > Eichel
Mittelstadt ≥ Hertl
Colton < Karlsson
Trenin < Stephenson

Our top guys are better. That matters more. Defences are pretty equal. I like our wingers more.

The difference to me is goaltending. Adin Hill got it done last year. Georgiev is still an unknown.
I don't want to face Vegas in the first round, but 2nd or 3rd would be fun. Just an all timer of a series that could split either way and goes 6 or 7.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Ok well... Vegas is the only team that scares me in the West. Every other team is far weaker on paper.

MacKinnon - Mittelstadt - Colton - Trenin
vs
Eichel - Hertl - Karlsson - Stephenson

Jesus Christ is that going to be a bloodbath if they meet up. Makar might be the difference maker there.

Playoff-MacKinnon takes Eichel to the cleaners....

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't know how I feel today.

Why go super deep at F if you're going absolute bare minimum at D and G?

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

Reactions: Avs44

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Does make you wonder how much Annunen's b2b shutouts might have impacted things in that front.
I think it's more about exorbitant asking prices for goalies. There were other teams out for goalies and no one pulled the trigger.

Jake Allen was the one traded and he's not the droid we're looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad