Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v6 | Fri, Sept 13 | vs StL | 7pm ET/4pm PT | TBA vs TBA Ohtanis Makes History

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Yeah must suck to have a team that made the playoffs 3 of the past 4 seasons in the best division in baseball. Although this year didn’t work out, I’m not sure it’s the been the disaster you think it is. Take a deep breath.
How many playoff games have they won in those 3 years? Let me help you….zero. All three wild card games. Two of those years they lost in embarrassing fashion as an indirect result of management stupidity. Change is needed and continuing to fill the stadium only fuels the excuses to keep these incompetent boobs.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
How many playoff games have they won in those 3 years? Let me help you….zero. All three wild card games. Two of those years they lost in embarrassing fashion as an indirect result of management stupidity. Change is needed and continuing to fill the stadium only fuels the excuses to keep these incompetent boobs.

Selling 15000 tickets instead of 30000 won't change anything. The best thing a team can do to make extra money is get into the playoffs and go as far as possible.

Every team, no matter how much they suck, is going to see a big attendance bump this weekend. Some people just like baseball, and this is the last chance to see it until March.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yuck, what a terrible finish. Vladdy couldn't even get his 200th hit...

they got swept by a 100 loss team to finish the season at 14 games under.

some big changes better be coming.
Chase for 200 = Chase for 70. Doesn’t gets completed

I think Atkins still needs to be fired. That's the first thing that has to happen.
I assume he and the guy that fills out the lineup he gives him will be let go tomorrow.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
And thus brings an end to a disappointing season.

Let's see what they do in the winter. Don't need the big fish like Soto but money will need to be spent to fill the holes on this roster.

Reactions: aingefan

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Welp. That’s that for that.

The return of Vladdy, a solid starting staff is a good startling point.

A deeper system and lots of legitimate maybes that are close to being better than league average position players is good.

Also good is that the Jays *must* have used up three years worth of bad bullpen karma. Not much went right out there such that it can’t possibly be worse next year….right? Nowhere to go but up?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Welp. That’s that for that.

The return of Vladdy, a solid starting staff is a good startling point.

A deeper system and lots of legitimate maybes that are close to being better than league average position players is good.

Also good is that the Jays *must* have used up three years worth of bad bullpen karma. Not much went right out there such that it can’t possibly be worse next year….right? Nowhere to go but up?
At points it feels like one would have a better chance unlocking the secrets of the universe than trying to understand bullpen consistency from year to year.

There's some teams that have a mastery of it for sure; The Brewers seemingly being able to materialize starters and relievers alike out of thin air, the Astros, Seattle being able to pick Joe Blow off the scrap heap and turning him into a reliable late game option. Then there's teams like Arizona. Had a pretty good bullpen in the second half after they got a guy like Paul Sewald to stablize it/set everyone else's role in stone. This year? Abject disaster.

I think really all you can hope as a fan is they identify the guys who they think would be the best fit, and then hope it works.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I think Atkins still needs to be fired. That's the first thing that has to happen.
Anyone who doesn’t think Atkins should be fired should give their heads a shake. Team can’t hit, can’t pitch, can’t play defence, has a sad farm system, no future, bad coaches, etc. yet there are people defending Atkins and Shapiro. Unbelievable. What this team does have is a loyal fan base that deserves better.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Will be interesting to see how they rebuild the bullpen. Who will they target and who will they keep?

Swanson
Green
Cabrera
Little

I think are good bets to be there next year. Romano is likely but could see them going in another direction. I would like to see them keep one of Cabrera and Little and upgrade one of them. Burr is a decent option as well. Two high-leverage guys are who they should be targeting.

Reactions: aingefan

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Anyone who doesn’t think Atkins should be fired should give their heads a shake. Team can’t hit, can’t pitch, can’t play defence, has a sad farm system, no future, bad coaches, etc. yet there are people defending Atkins and Shapiro. Unbelievable. What this team does have is a loyal fan base that deserves better.
I think there's a small minority within the fanbase who defend Atkins. Most would be satisfied to see him go.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Game 2 against Seattle in 2022 was a pivotal game in the history of this franchise. That made Atkins go and focus more on run prevention which sacrificed a ton of offence as it turned out. Imagine we don't blow that lead, and then win game 3. Everything would be different, I think so.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I think there's a small minority within the fanbase who defend Atkins. Most would be satisfied to see him go.
As far as i'm concerned the entire organization sans Pete Walker and maybe Click should have been gone after that wild card series against Minnesota last season.

Like why is Guillermo Martinez still here? I don't want this dipshit ruining the few prospects they actually have. Schneider i can take or leave. I don't think he's a great manager but at the same time i think the team's issues go way above his head.

Run prevention is cool and all but sacrificing pretty much all of your firepower for while forcing your pitchers to be essentially perfect was a dumb idea. Somehow the experts in the front office this would just be fine even though we had almost a full season worth of data from 2023 that said no, this is not fine.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
As far as i'm concerned the entire organization sans Pete Walker and maybe Click should have been gone after that wild card series against Minnesota last season.

Like why is Guillermo Martinez still here? I don't want this dipshit ruining the few prospects they actually have. Schneider i can take or leave. I don't think he's a great manager but at the same time i think the team's issues go way above his head.

Run prevention is cool and all but sacrificing pretty much all of your firepower for while forcing your pitchers to be essentially perfect was a dumb idea. Somehow the experts in the front office this would just be fine even though we had almost a full season worth of data from 2023 that said no, this is not fine.
After the Twins series at a minimum, the hitting coaches and Atkins should have been gone. Here we are and Atkins seems like a lock to be back and there's no word of changes with the hitting coaches.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Let's say they still go out and get Varsho that off season cause they needed a centre fielder, more than anything. They keep Teo and have him play LF, get a Swanson some other way. Don't sign KK. Still sign Belt to be the DH. Then maybe you re-sign Teo after that season?

Springer RF
Bo SS
Vladdy 1B
Teo LF
Belt DH
Chappy 3B
Jano/Kirk C
Biggio 2B
Varsho CF

I think we could have won more than 89 games and maybe gone further.

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Let's say they still go out and get Varsho that off season cause they needed a centre fielder, more than anything. They keep Teo and have him play LF, get a Swanson some other way. Don't sign KK. Still sign Belt to be the DH. Then maybe you re-sign Teo after that season?

Springer RF
Bo SS
Vladdy 1B
Teo LF
Belt DH
Chappy 3B
Jano/Kirk C
Biggio 2B
Varsho CF

I think we could have won more than 89 games and maybe gone further.

Santander would be a decent Teo replacement but we would still need one more bat.

I was thinking the bare minimum off-season we need is picking up a Santander/Teo tier bat and then another decent bat I.e a Jonathan India.

But even if they were successful in doing this, would it be enough?

India 2B
Horwitz DH
Vladdy 1B
Santander RF
Bo SS
Kirk C
Varsho CF
Springer LF
Martinez 3B

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
If Shapiro and Atkins aren't shit canned, I can already 100% guarantee you they won’t be.
I can’t wait to hear Atkins’ impending nauseating pie-in-the-sky speech about the state of this franchise. He’ll find excuses and gloss over the historically bad state of this franchise. A pathetic September punctuated with a 1-5 homestand including being swept by a 100 loss team will be minimized and attributed to the youth learning what it takes to be regulars in the majors. He’ll talk about the importance of stability and change f*** all in his coaching staff again. He’ll talk about the bad luck of losing Romano or the injuries to Bo as a reason they finished as the 24th best team in the majors. And the best part, there are posters in here lauding the fact they made the playoffs the last 3 seasons so he’s doing a good job! Laughable if it wasn’t so pathetic. Some of this loyal, if not blind fanbase, deserves Shapiro and Atkins.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad