2024 NHL Playoffs Around the League

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Just horrible. Needs to be Sunday AINEC.

If the Oilers win, is there going to be a rat race for speed and skill again, or have the Panthers shifted the landscape back to the grind and grit mentality?
Why shouldn’t there be? Even the Panthers players who can play the heavy game have great hands and skating ability. They had 40 goal scorers before Tkachuk arrived. Also, the game today is officiated so that teams that use their sticks to restrain an opponent, even a tap to the midsection, get penalized. This has been a trend for the last 6 years or more and it’s not going back.

The Panthers look like their tanks emptied in the 3rd period of Game 3. They have no answers for the Oilers speed. Last night on a 1st period PK they let McDavid skated all over their end of the ice. They couldn’t even track him. And the Oil won without McDavid having a point or a SOG!

Reactions: Osakahaus

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Why shouldn’t there be? Even the Panthers players who can play the heavy game have great hands and skating ability. They had 40 goal scorers before Tkachuk arrived. Also, the game today is officiated so that teams that use their sticks to restrain an opponent, even a tap to the midsection, get penalized. This has been a trend for the last 6 years or more and it’s not going back.

The Panthers look like their tanks emptied in the 3rd period of Game 3. They have no answers for the Oilers speed. Last night on a 1st period PK they let McDavid skated all over their end of the ice. They couldn’t even track him. And the Oil won without McDavid having a point or a SOG!
My post was more tongue-in-cheek because someone around here (or maybe it was X-itter) pointed out the other day that when Colorado won the cup with a run 'n gun offense and Kuemper as their goalie, there were definitely a shift in mindset around the league that this could be replicated. When Florida was up 3-0, everyone was pointing at the grittiness of Bennett and Tkachuk and the fact that they paid through the nose for a Vezina winning goaltender.

It's all flavor of the month stuff; at the end of the day, establish an identity and build the best possible team you can to match that identity and pray.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
My post was more tongue-in-cheek because someone around here (or maybe it was X-itter) pointed out the other day that when Colorado won the cup with a run 'n gun offense and Kuemper as their goalie, there were definitely a shift in mindset around the league that this could be replicated. When Florida was up 3-0, everyone was pointing at the grittiness of Bennett and Tkachuk and the fact that they paid through the nose for a Vezina winning goaltender.

It's all flavor of the month stuff; at the end of the day, establish an identity and build the best possible team you can to match that identity and pray.
That shift in mindset regarding building a team towards speed had been changing before the Avs won a couple of years ago. Several of the western teams were gearing towards skating and skill. Teams in the East like the Rags, Canes, Leafs, Devils are taking up the baton that the Penguins and Lightning had carried before them. Even the heavy teams Lou built us to compete with, the Bruins and Capitals had HOF forwards that we couldn’t match up against.

For me it’s not about copycatting the team that wins the Cup, it’s about building a roster that can survive a regular season in the conference we play in. We can beat those teams with goaltending defense and jam, but we need more skill than what we have.

The adage in golf is you drive for show but you putt for dough. The same applies to the NHL regular season.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Florida has simply put been figured out. Edmonton knows what Florida is gonna do, and Florida cannot contain McDavid now. Ekblad, Forsling and Montour all have fallen off a cliff, and I do not trust OEL or Kulikov at all. Its looking very meek on the Florida blueline, period.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
The number of isles hockey “fans”, who have claimee that the offsides shouldn’t have been called, is mind numbing.

I’m embarrassed for this fanbase as so many “fans” haven’t a clue.

It was offside. Isles FB groups are brain dead

Let’s go Oil!

3CCE7777-5A5D-499D-836D-C775932D84B0.png

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The number of isles hockey “fans”, who have claimee that the offsides shouldn’t have been called, is mind numbing.

I’m embarrassed for this fanbase as so many “fans” haven’t a clue.

It was offside. Isles FB groups are brain dead

Let’s go Oil!

View attachment 885822

It was the right call but the rule sucks.

I maintain that a short 30 second review in real time is the appropriate way to do replays. Slowing things down to a tenth of a second is painful and is idiotic.

Rules like offsides are there to prevent players from getting an advantage during the course of play. Being a millimeter offside doesn't create enough of an advantage in my eyes and no player is able to perceive that, so it doesn't alter how they are approaching the play. It slows the game down and sucks the energy out of the building. It all seems very unnecessary.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
The Oil have been using their speed advantage on the rush and have cut up the Cats pressured structure. The Cats need to adjust to the rush offense, get back to the system that got them here, and play with all out desperation.

Reactions: MJF

Crashsunday

Dec 18, 2006
San Diego
Oil have stretched the ice out which is affecting Florida’s ability to push and sustain their forecheck from the backend. As a result, the Oil are getting breakaways and making the Panthers pay on the rush. Haven’t seen much in the way of adjustments from Maurice which might be why he has so many regular season games without a cup.

Reactions: Osakahaus and Lek

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Oil have stretched the ice out which is affecting Florida’s ability to push and sustain their forecheck from the backend. As a result, the Oil are getting breakaways and making the Panthers pay on the rush. Haven’t seen much in the way of adjustments from Maurice which might be why he has so many regular season games without a cup.
i like Maurice, but he is definitely to this point in time, being out-coached.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad