Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Draft is June 28th @ 4pm PT. ESPN. ESPN+)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 37 18.3%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 36 17.8%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 81 40.1%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 21 10.4%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Compete level being in question for a young player. I would guess that’s an Instant pass from Verbeek. And I completely agree. Being young and full of energy, and you would assume love for the game. If you’re lacking there, huge red flags.

Vaakou

Jun 30, 2012
Kristianstad
As nice as the story would be, a high draft pick like that shouldn't be made on the basis of marketing value.

I like him at 3 because of how he plays and how he projects (imo), but if the scouts don't think he's the best option, he shouldn't be the pick just to make a marketing statement.

If you want the marketing statement too, and the scouts don't view Buium as the best option, get another draft pick to get the feel good story and another great prospect.

And I know that philosophy probably clashes with my defense of Silayev at 3. But the same thing applies. I personally feel like he's got great potential and can be something the Ducks blueline is lacking. But if our scouts, in their professional experience, think they have a better option at 3, they shouldn't take Silayev.
I think he's the best D in the draft. Im onboard on talent alone. He's a LD though, that might be a problem. Listening to Button saying he's a sure fire #1 D-man in the NHL is promising. Button has his faults, but is sometimes right.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Agreed. I think I'd have him second or third on my preferences for a defenseman. Zegs, I know your guy is Levshunov. I do feel that Buium has very good vision, excellent decision making, good presence, it's just that yeah, his size is a bit of a minus. But at 6 foot as an 18 year old, it's not impossible for him to grow another inch or two and pack on muscle. I'd be more concerned about that if he was, say, 5'7. I do feel like some scouts are sleeping on him from where he's ranked.

I think I'm just too enamored with the idea of the Ducks adding a stable defenseman to the blueline who can excel at both ends of the ice even if it's at the expense of offensive production. Guys like Parekh and Yakemchuk don't really appeal to me that much. Though Yak's defense is a fair bit better than Parekh's, I worry about how it will translate in the NHL. Feels like a Darnell Nurse waiting to happen. I'm a lot higher on guys like Silayev, Buium and Dickinson.

I'd put Silayev narrowly above Buium for his physical package, the near guarantee you get that he'd excel defensively given his ability to do so against grown men in the KHL. The thing is, the more I've looked into him, the more it seems he does have offensive weapons in his tool kit that he's suppressed by focusing almost entirely on developing his defensive game. I mean he's an 18 year old playing in the second best pro league in the world. He can make his game more well rounded next season. So I'd be excited to see how he can develop if we picked him, but I acknowledge there's cause for concern that might make the Ducks pass.

As for Levshunov, I get he's a righty and has a lot of tools. I just worry about his reported issues with compete. D+0 is the time to fight your ass off to prove your worth. If he's struggling with consistent drive and compete at this stage, I worry about his ability to develop into his potential. I'd prefer Silayev, Buium or Dickinson over him but I'd probably have him fourth among the defensemen on the eve of the draft.
Agree with everything you said except the comparison between Yak and Nurse. Yak has the best hands and shot of any d in the draft. Nurse is exactly the opposite. He gets completely lost and confused when he has the puck.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Also I don't really feel like Etem and Kerdiles were reaches at where they were picked. Etem was consistently ranked between 12-18 IIRC. Kerdiles was seen as a lower third first rounder and fell into the second round.

Obviously NHL scouts felt differently and saw something the third party scouts didn't, but I don't think either guy was some massive reach.
Agree with everything you said except the comparison between Yak and Nurse. Yak has the best hands and shot of any d in the draft. Nurse is exactly the opposite. He gets completely lost and confused when he has the puck.
I meant more defensively. That he looked like he could have a solid two way game and basically became a defensive sieve in the NHL.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Compete level being in question for a young player. I would guess that’s an Instant pass from Verbeek. And I completely agree. Being young and full of energy, and you would assume love for the game. If you’re lacking there, huge red flags.
Yeah it's a big problem for me as far as Lev is concerned. He has a multitude of tools but reading individual game notes it was too many games where he wasn't playing to his full effort or ability. Maybe someone in our youth development staff can get through to him and inspire more out of him but I wouldn't want to bank on that.

I think he's the best D in the draft. Im onboard on talent alone. He's a LD though, that might be a problem. Listening to Button saying he's a sure fire #1 D-man in the NHL is promising. Button has his faults, but is sometimes right.
There's always trades. I mean yeah, it would be more ideal if he could slot in next to one of our emerging kids but sometimes you just need to let them fight it our for limited spots or see if one of them can switch sides without sacrificing too much quality of play. I think for a two way guy, handedness is not as important.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Vaakou

Jun 30, 2012
Kristianstad
Yeah it's a big problem for me as far as Lev is concerned. He has a multitude of tools but reading individual game notes it was too many games where he wasn't playing to his full effort or ability. Maybe someone in our youth development staff can get through to him and inspire more out of him but I wouldn't want to bank on that.

There's always trades. I mean yeah, it would be more ideal if he could slot in next to one of our emerging kids but sometimes you just need to let them fight it our for limited spots or see if one of them can switch sides without sacrificing too much quality of play. I think for a two way guy, handedness is not as important.
Sure, but i think it might be a deciding factor in taking D. I think Buium is a moore "Ducks D-man pick" than Lev or Silayev. If we get another top 15 pick Yakemchuk is also one such pick.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Now you guys actually have me thinking long and hard at Buium. He might be the best pick.

I know the word "compete" gets over used, but I think that's more critical to a winning team than just having a bigger team. Even a team built on size can and will have smaller players in the mix. Having tenacious players at all sizes and positions is the key to a winning team, IMO.

As the saying goes, it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Sure, but i think it might be a deciding factor in taking D. I think Buium is a moore "Ducks D-man pick" than Lev or Silayev. If we get another top 15 pick Yakemchuk is also one such pick.

I would mind Yakemchuk less if we got another top half pick. Sure. Just depends on who is available. I'm still intrigued by a number of forwards, just hesitant to see the Ducks use a top 3 pick on them.

I think my day before ranking (more preference than outlook) would be:

Celebrini (not happening)
Silayev
Demidov (I'm still wary of the quality of competition burning a year of his development but whatever)
Buium
Dickinson
Lindstrom
Levshunov (to me, his compete issues are as concerning as Lindstrom's back if not more so)
Iginla (I feel more intrigued by his development spike than Sennecke's)
Sennecke
Yakemchuk
Catton
Stolberg
Hage
Parekh
Eiserman

I haven't had time or much interest in researching who might be available at 31 and beyond, so I'll trust in the scouts and let more learned posters give me an impression lol.

Reactions: Trojans86

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Now you guys actually have me thinking long and hard at Buium. He might be the best pick.

I know the word "compete" gets over used, but I think that's more critical to a winning team than just having a bigger team. Even a team built on size can and will have smaller players in the mix. Having tenacious players at all sizes and positions is the key to a winning team, IMO.

As the saying goes, it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Look no further than PLD: big, strong center. But has zero heart or will to win.

LeBrun is a Clown

Sep 19, 2018
Also I don't really feel like Etem and Kerdiles were reaches at where they were picked. Etem was consistently ranked between 12-18 IIRC. Kerdiles was seen as a lower third first rounder and fell into the second round.

Obviously NHL scouts felt differently and saw something the third party scouts didn't, but I don't think either guy was some massive reach.

I meant more defensively. That he looked like he could have a solid two way game and basically became a defensive sieve in the NHL.
Forgot he passed away. Rip

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
I know his model isn't a guarantee or anything but ooof.

GRBZqI3W0AAEE5X

GRBeXM-XMAIU5pk

I couldn't find the charts for the other guys we might have our eyes on but here's Demidov and Levshunov for comparison

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
GRBZqI3W0AAEE5X

GRBeXM-XMAIU5pk

I couldn't find the charts for the other guys we might have our eyes on but here's Demidov and Levshunov for comparison
The more I read, the more I think my draft list is:
Celebrini
Demidov
Silayev

I feel like there might be a couple of guys that might be better, but Silayev will be close and a bigger impact for the Ducks. Demidov seems like a clear 2nd best, though.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
The more I read, the more I think my draft list is:
Celebrini
Demidov
Silayev

I feel like there might be a couple of guys that might be better, but Silayev will be close and a bigger impact for the Ducks. Demidov seems like a clear 2nd best, though.

I still have Levshunov at 3, but I agree about Demidov feeling like the clear 2nd best player. I feel pretty strongly that Silayev will be our pick though.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad