GDT: 2024 NHL Entry Draft, at The Sphere in Vegas, Friday, June 28, 7 p.m. edt | SN, TVA Sports, ESPN, NHLN

Who will Montreal draft?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
If this actually goes like Pronman's mock Gorton and Hughes better have a bomb shelter to hide on for the next year or so.
They would for sure need to have another trade lined up to bolster the F group

Similar to the Dach trade and then taking Slaf instead of Wright

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The chances of being able to flip a defenseman for an equivalent forward is low. It happens like once every 5 years.
For one good reason. Rare are the teams that have good enough drafting crew so that they could be so deep in certain positions that they can deal great pieces. If we pick Buium or Dickinson, Montreal will be an insaley deep team at D. Need to find a team who is deep at forwards then....or a team that could be not that deep but will think that our available pieces are worth it.

I mean....Tampa found a sucker when we so desperately needed a Drouin.....

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
What would everyone’s impression be if we took Buium even if Demidov was available?
Out of my control, this management is trusted until they can't be and we won't know if they can't be trusted until these players are all established in the NHL, coupled around the potential moves they make to flush out the roster when it's supposedly competing.

Habs need forwards, it's obvious as it gets, but BPA is a thing at the draft IMO.

Not going to act like they are passing on Celebrini for a D man. Look at last draft, we all knew who the top 4 picks would be, this one is nothing like that, or the forwards people are freaking out for would be guaranteed to be gone at 5. If there is that much uncertainty then there is nothing to be in crisis mode over.

Reactions: morhilane

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Holland moving on - this was expected.

Oilers hesitant to hire a rookie GM.

Don't expect a contract extension for Draisaitl July 1st. Mainly because they didn't have a lot of time to talk because of the cup final.

Kings - interested in Toffoli. Vancouver and Rangers are also interested.

Trouba - switches from full to partial. He's been asked, as we know. Sent waves that Trouba could be had.

Josh Manson - teams have asked about him. He also goes to partial protection, but Colorado has no interest in moving him.

Jake Debrusk to Calgary might be real.

Predators - Friedman thought Saros' contract would be higher, but Saros said to "get this done" and he took less. Preds have a chance to bring Lankinen back. Nothing said about Askarov being dealt, but mentioned the preds over marinated Saros before.

Buyout

Skinner - wonders about Seattle for Skinner.

Buffalo looking at a couple of Pittsburgh guys, Eller and Smith.

Reinhart - says it's pretty much done to stay in Florida. Everyone thinks it's done. Friedman assumes 9-9.5 he has multiple people telling him it's done.

Friedman not sure that Ekblad is available as that rumour has been going around for a while now. He's not saying Pagnotta is wrong.

Guentzel - Canes want to get it done before the draft. Several teams seem to think it's going to get done. He says there's maybe been some intel that it's going that way that's why Vancouver signed a bunch of their own players.

Believed Tampa has/would have interest, but not sure how they'd fit him.

Canucks - they're worried they'll lose Zadorov and they couldn't lose both Z and Myers.
Thinks Joshua left money on the table

Tocchet aggressively defended Soucy when he was suspended in the playoffs and that really resonated with the players.

Tanev - does very much feel like this is coming down to Dallas vs Toronto. Friedman says he's been told Vancouver isn't out of this.

Carrier - is a guy on Dallas' radar.

Pesce - New Jersey devils.

Utah - they will get a dman somewhere. They're looking for 1, or 2

Skjei - a lot of people are thinking he will end up in Nashville.

There's a lot of teams looking for d.

Detroit - Walman was completely blindsided. Believe there's something else coming.

Toronto - Max Domi 4 x 4 is what he's looking for. Toronto going to sort out their d and then circle back to him and Bertuzzi.

Marner - they're preparing to make him an offer.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
What do you mean replacing him, he's already.

Engstrom next year, already replaced, we don't need to replace Guhle for next season, we need to play Hutson.

And Hutson isn't? Do you even have eyes?

What do you mean replacing him, he's already.

Engstrom next year, already replaced, we don't need to replace Guhle for next season, we need to play Hutson.

And Hutson isn't? Do you even have eyes?

In this scenario - This is 2024-2025.

Matheson - Savard
Hutson - Kovasevic
Struble - Mailloux
Xhekaj - Reinbacher

We can get some Ds again next year (2 1st rounder right now, likely 4 with Matheson/Savard sell trades) to finish the rebuild and address any issues there, the forward crop will be sufficient assuming we have Demidov and Iginla.

This is the year after

Hutson - Reinbacher
Engstrom - Mailloux
Xhekaj - Struble
Sorry but this is not a blue line that is progressing.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
We also didn't have the depth back then that we have now.

Especially if we draft Buium

Eventually a young D will need to be traded for a game breaking top 6
Problem was not trading Mcdonagh and Sergachev. Problem was what we received in exchange. Small and shitty forward: Gomez and Drouin. You can trade anyone, as long as the return is as good as what you sent.

Very fare points friends, just want to acknowledge that I'm not clueless to your ideas. I guess I got some PTSD, but I also personally think Guhle is a stud.

Reactions: SnapVirus

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Makar?? No seriously.. he's not that good.

He's going to do exactly the same as Hutson, which means D+2. He burns a year like Hutson yes, but we'll be waiting close to 2 seasons for his input with a defense that's going to look like mush... No changes from last season.
No way Buium stays 3 years in College. Why would he? Makes no sense at all.

Makar was in BC minor league in D-1, then spent 2 years in college. Hutson was in the NTDP in D-1.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Let me say this in regards to the infamous BPA vs needs debate. Contrary to last year....I think there's a case to think that every player could be both BPA and needs. I think Michkov vs Reinbacher. it wasn't close for me at all. And what made it needs it's Hughes comment about REinbacher being a right D, made him the pick. I mean....it can't be more clear.

This year...well Dickinson, Buium, Iginla, geez maybe even Sennecke on a pure projection....all 4 are close to call. Sure, the ONLY thing, for me it's Demidov vs any of them. For me, Demidov is BPA as soon as 2nd...lol. So imagine at 5.

The great thing is that for us, who needs forwards the BPA is ALSO a need. Perfect recipe. Clear as day.

Now, here's the kicker...if they go Buium while Demidov is there....it means that Buium is BPA. At least their BPA. And frankly, until proven otherwise, I might not like it....but I will respect it. 'Cause we don't need a lefty D unless.....Guhle is on his way out.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Zeev Buium went from +1200 to +500 in 24hours.....although at this point Lindstrom and Demidov still favourite

1719581140826.png

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Hutson did the usual 2 years, not 3. He'll do the same, it's quite common for education's sake.
Hutson was in the NTDP in his D-1, then spent 2 years in college.

Impossible a top 5 pick D spends 3 years in college after being the top college D in his first year as D-1. Impossible.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Insane that we keep saying that we might be just 1 or 2 picks too low....question is...if the Habs REALLY want a guy...do the deal. Unless the teams in front of you want your guy.....what could cost the Habs to acquire 4 for 5 and what? 57? Do they want to keep 57 to trade 26 and 57 to get close to 15?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad