2024 NHL Draft: WE DID IT, CELEBRINI IS OURS!!!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Somehow I don't think the Oilers or Leafs have failed to win a Cup because of McDavid or Matthews.
You could point to the Defense of each of those teams but is it entirely on the D that Toronto has been in the bottom half of the league 4 out of the last 6 years in GA and Edmonton in 5 out of the last 6 years.

Neither team has been top 5 in goals against once in the last 6 seasons.

Having a 200ft 1C that can impact the game when not scoring is what wins in the playoffs.

Reactions: Sandisfan

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
You could point to the Defense of each of those teams but is it entirely on the D that Toronto has been in the bottom half of the league 4 out of the last 6 years in GA and Edmonton in 5 out of the last 6 years.

Neither team has been top 5 in goals against once in the last 6 seasons.

Having a 200ft 1C that can impact the game when not scoring is what wins in the playoffs.
I'm not ready to say that I'd rather Celebrini-types than Auston Matthews or McJesus. But, in general, I do agree with you that the flashy scoring players in the draft aren't necessarily the ones that win cups. A Pietrangelo is worth more to his team than it looks like, and Toews might likely have been worth more to his team than Kane at the time. Having both certainly didn't hurt...

Then again, if you draft too much with that mentality, you might end up with Mike Rathje. (Man, what a bad draft year... I was hoping there was an obvious "better flashy pick" after him but you have Kasparaitis and Gonchar as better D but then a bunch of names you've never heard of... maybe Corey Stillman?)

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa

Eye watering numbers.

FWIW (stolen from someones comment)

Ivan Demidov has 1.96 points per game in the MHL this season.

That leads U19 players in the MHL all time (min. five games played)

Kuznetsov (18yo) 1.88
Kucherov (18yo) 1.87
Michkov (17yo) 1.82

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
There is no doubt at all Demidov has the pure skill to go 2OA but you can find skill wingers every single year (although maybe not at his talent level) but its extremely rare to find big defenseman (Silayev or Levshunov) or big centers (Lindstrom). Even if Lindstrom becomes a winger, he's a Tkachuk kinda player which you only find every few drafts.

That's just my view, and I wouldn't be too mad if we took Demidov 2OA cause our offensive would look insane in a few years. With that said though. I'd rather Grier continue to build the base of a team that you don't want to play in the playoffs.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
I think my preference is to pick Lindstrom if we don’t get Celebrini and then use the Pittsburgh pick on the best available dman. That being said, I won’t be mad if we select Levshunov for example and use the Pittsburgh pick on someone like Iginla.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I think my preference is to pick Lindstrom if we don’t get Celebrini and then use the Pittsburgh pick on the best available dman. That being said, I won’t be mad if we select Levshunov for example and use the Pittsburgh pick on someone like Iginla.
Exactly my thoughts.

Levshunov and Iginla would be a dream for me.

Lindstrom and Parekh would be a TON of fun too.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
PIT's pick is also sitting at 10OA right now, although they have the least games played in the league. If they trade Guentzel/Smith/etc. there's a real good chance we're drafting in the Catton/Parekh/Buium range while also having the first or second odds at 1OA.

As of right now this is how I think the draft would shake out in tiers if it was today based on different rankings. (Not my personal rankings
1. Celebrini
2-5: Lindstrom, Silayev, Levshunov, Demidov (just depends who's picking where)
6-10 : Dickinson, Eiserman, Yakemchuk, Catton, Helenius

And then it's a crap shoot. I've seen Parekh, Buium, and Iginla in top-10's but also at 20th. All if takes is one team to reach on a MBN or someone like that and we could walk out with two of the best players.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
PIT's pick is also sitting at 10OA right now, although they have the least games played in the league. If they trade Guentzel/Smith/etc. there's a real good chance we're drafting in the Catton/Parekh/Buium range while also having the first or second odds at 1OA.
Tankathon does the points% for you -- PIT projecting to 15 as of now, and has been bouncing from 14-16.

They also have a semi-updated prospect list. if we're picking say 13-16, we'll have a likely chance at:
MBN, Connelly, Greentree, Iginla, Jiricek. At this point unless we're picking 11-13 I don't think we'll have a shot at Buium, Parekh, Catton... possibly not Iginla or Yakemchuk either. But things can change! If Iggy/Yakemchuk climb, then we have an outside shot at Catton or Parekh, an OK shot at Helenius if he's the one who drops, and we'll have Jiricek or MBN or Greentree or Artamonov to pick from. Not bad, not nearly as great as picking twice in the top 13.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

As of right now this is how I think the draft would shake out in tiers if it was today based on different rankings. (Not my personal rankings
1. Celebrini
2-5: Lindstrom, Silayev, Levshunov, Demidov (just depends who's picking where)
6-10 : Dickinson, Eiserman, Yakemchuk, Catton, Helenius

And then it's a crap shoot. I've seen Parekh, Buium, and Iginla in top-10's but also at 20th. All if takes is one team to reach on a MBN or someone like that and we could walk out with two of the best players.
And then there's Jiricek as well who is very good (just dropping because of injury)...so if the Pens pick is 11-14, the Sharks should get a very good player there. Gotta hope Pens stay in that range!

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
bedard/carlsson/fantilli draft points percentage. somehow the tank is even harder this year...
1708017029868.png

• Wow

Pete Taylor

Dec 11, 2017
It is crazy how the Bottom 4 from last year, really is the exact same from last year. Can even go as far as saying bottom 10.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
That's just too good to be true. Penguins are gonna blow out the Hawks and use that to start a run in which they win the cup. Sharks will drop 2 spots in the lottery and end up picking 4 and 32.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and DG93

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Bedard coming back tonight for a 2 for 1 of gettting the Hawks a win and the Penguins a loss to help the Sharks. You can tell he definitely wanted to come here.

Last edited:

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
That's just too good to be true. Penguins are gonna blow out the Hawks and use that to start a run in which they win the cup. Sharks will drop 2 spots in the lottery and end up picking 4 and 32.
That's not even the worst case scenario. We drop to 4, Pittsburgh ends up at 11 but wins the lottery. They then go on a tear in '25 with Celebrini and their pick turns into #32 in 2025. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad