2024 NHL Draft: WE DID IT, CELEBRINI IS OURS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
When it comes to the Pens pick, I am just hoping for this year's pick. Hockey is a weird sport and I would never count on the penguins to be bad when they still have Crosby, Malkin, Letang and now Karlsson. They might be top 5 bad next year or they might do the same thing the 2016 sharks did and bounce back after having a terrible year with an old core.
Honestly shouldn't even be speculating on the pick imo, it's bad juju. I remember Habs fans laughing themselves silly about how the Panthers pick was going to give them an extra shot at Bedard.

Jul 10, 2010
In my mind, Pens should just give up this year's pick even if it falls into 9 or 10. It's a relatively weak draft and they look like they're on the verge of falling off a cliff. If they are in rebuild mode last year, they shouldn't risk losing a higher pick in a deeper draft
should they? probably?

Will they knowing they Crosby/Malkin/Letang are near the end and want to chase a few more playoff runs? Probably not.

No shot they punt it if they dont have too IMO. They have to believe they will be better next year or else theyre wasting those last years of the 3.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
should they? probably?

Will they knowing they Crosby/Malkin/Letang are near the end and want to chase a few more playoff runs? Probably not.

No shot they punt it if they dont have too IMO. They have to believe they will be better next year or else theyre wasting those last years of the 3.
This is also the 2nd year in a row where they (potentially) miss playoffs, not the first. AND they added last summer.....

Fenway owns the Pens and it likely doesnt matter to them if year over year they are making a profit given their other holdings. So they might as well try and end the Crosby/Malkin/letang era with a bang and suffer on and off the ice for a few years down the road. The legacy of those 3 players will buoy the fanbase enoughduring down times. There's no real business downside even if the best thing for the team is to rebuild on the fly.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I've been going through the draft threads of the other bottoms teams to see which prospects they like, and wow, Ottawa's thread is by far the most out to lunch. They're discussing if Chicago would pass on Celebrini at 1 to get a D, or if they (Sens) win the lottery trading 1OA to Chicago for 2OA and their 2025 1st.

Almost all of the bottom teams like Lindstrom or Levshunov at 2OA. Montreal is solely focused on a forward which makes sense. Demidov and Silayev seem to be wilcards. Scouts love Silayev, while fans love Demidov.

anthonyyy

Aug 11, 2011
Long way till the draft, but I'm pretty stoked at the chance to get Lindstrom to play with Eklund. Both could interchange and play wing/center. Both players are slick with the puck, and with Lindstrom's size, it would be such a fun duo.

I don't think Will Smith is NHL ready, but when he does get here, Zetterlund plays a pretty similar style (without being as much of a pest) as Leonard. If we re-sign Barabanov, you have a creative player ala Gabe Perrault. If you don't sign him, maybe Gushchin is ready, or Bordeleau makes a big jump.

Also, if they can't trade Granlund for a 1st, I'd keep him around for the Swedes. I'm digging the Swede chemistry right now. Hockey will be fun again in a few years.

Oh yeah, Celebrini is good too.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
If the sharks end up with the second or even third pick, and the pens pick somehow ends up in the early teens, what are the odds they go pure D in someone like Silayev and then move up with the pens pick into the top ten to get a pure goal scorer like Eiserman?

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Long way till the draft, but I'm pretty stoked at the chance to get Lindstrom to play with Eklund. Both could interchange and play wing/center. Both players are slick with the puck, and with Lindstrom's size, it would be such a fun duo.

I don't think Will Smith is NHL ready, but when he does get here, Zetterlund plays a pretty similar style (without being as much of a pest) as Leonard. If we re-sign Barabanov, you have a creative player ala Gabe Perrault. If you don't sign him, maybe Gushchin is ready, or Bordeleau makes a big jump.

Also, if they can't trade Granlund for a 1st, I'd keep him around for the Swedes. I'm digging the Swede chemistry right now. Hockey will be fun again in a few years.

Oh yeah, Celebrini is good too.
Barabanov sucks and shouldn't be on the Sharks roster after this season. However, we could try to trade Hertl to New York for Goodrow + the actual Perrault :naughty::naughty:

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
If the sharks end up with the second or even third pick, and the pens pick somehow ends up in the early teens, what are the odds they go pure D in someone like Silayev and then move up with the pens pick into the top ten to get a pure goal scorer like Eiserman?
I personally don't see Grier giving up any capital to move up ~5 spots... the tail end of the 2nd tier (which is like 2-10) isn't super different from 11-15. And I don't think anyone is moving up to pick Eiserman -- if anything they'd wait to see if he dropped to them.

Fwds I would *today* expect Grier to pick above Eiserman in the 11-15 range, even if he dropped: Iginla, Greentree, Helenius/Catton but would be a huge drop for both

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Getting Silayev and a forward such as Eiserman, Catton, or Iginla would be awesome.

I still think the absolute best case scenario (realistically) is Celebrini at 1, and Parekh/Buium at 11/12/13/14/15

Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I personally don't see Grier giving up any capital to move up ~5 spots... the tail end of the 2nd tier (which is like 2-10) isn't super different from 11-15. And I don't think anyone is moving up to pick Eiserman -- if anything they'd wait to see if he dropped to them.

Fwds I would *today* expect Grier to pick above Eiserman in the 11-15 range, even if he dropped: Iginla, Greentree, Helenius/Catton but would be a huge drop for both
I think after passing up on Michkov last year and drafting Eklund and Smith in back to back drafts, getting a pure goal scorer like Eiserman is something this team doesn't really have in the pipeline.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I think after passing up on Michkov last year and drafting Eklund and Smith in back to back drafts, getting a pure goal scorer like Eiserman is something this team doesn't really have in the pipeline.
Maybe. There's a reason Eiserman is falling like a stone. He's not in the same universe as Michkov. He hasn't elevated his game at all since last year, and he's still one dimensional. Maybe he's worth it at 15 or so, but Iginla is more dynamic, projectable, improving quickly, and can score. Greentree is big, has a great shot, and has great hockey sense, and is also improving a whole lot - like a potentially better Haltunnen. He's not a great skater but he's athletic. Given what Grier has said, I honestly think he would take those two over Eiserman.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
We don't need a goalscorer. We need everything. Under no circumstances should we be considering position when using our 1st round picks - if the BPA when we come up at #4, #13, and #28 are all right-handed offensive defensemen, then we should pick three right-handed offensive defensemen (two will probably bust anyway).

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Maybe. There's a reason Eiserman is falling like a stone. He's not in the same universe as Michkov. He hasn't elevated his game at all since last year, and he's still one dimensional. Maybe he's worth it at 15 or so, but Iginla is more dynamic, projectable, improving quickly, and can score. Greentree is big, has a great shot, and has great hockey sense, and is also improving a whole lot - like a potentially better Haltunnen. He's not a great skater but he's athletic. Given what Grier has said, I honestly think he would take those two over Eiserman.
He may be one-dimensional, but it's a hell of a dimension. He's a pure sniper and he's currently on goal a game pace in the NTDP. I get it's not a crazy league, but still.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
We don't need a goalscorer. We need everything. Under no circumstances should we be considering position when using our 1st round picks - if the BPA when we come up at #4, #13, and #28 are all right-handed offensive defensemen, then we should pick three right-handed offensive defensemen (two will probably bust anyway).
I agree, I also don't realistically think Eiserman will be BPA at the Sharks' picks. Certainly not at their own and unlikely at Pittsburgh's (unless they somehow rise to 15-17 range as opposed to more of the 11-14. And then if somehow SJ has a late 1st and he drops there, that'd be a fantastic pick.

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa

I retweet this sentiment 10000000%. It's way too early in this stage of roster construction and rebuilding to be honed in on drafting positionally. Especially with our premier assets. It's not like the NFL draft where you're selecting a 22 year old that needs to contribute in Y1 to validate the selection.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I agree, I also don't realistically think Eiserman will be BPA at the Sharks' picks. Certainly not at their own and unlikely at Pittsburgh's (unless they somehow rise to 15-17 range as opposed to more of the 11-14. And then if somehow SJ has a late 1st and he drops there, that'd be a fantastic pick.
If he's there at 13-14 with the Pitts pick I'm taking him all day.

Who do we have in the system that's projected to be a sniper in the NHL? Musty? Maybe Halttunen? We have a real lack of goal scoring potential up and down.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020

Who do we have in the system that's projected to be a sniper in the NHL? Musty? Maybe Halttunen? We have a real lack of goal scoring potential up and down.
I want to emphasize again that we have a real lack of potential everything. Goalscoring, playmaking, forechecking, backchecking, puckmoving defensemen, positional defensemen, goaltenders, everything.

We can't afford to fixate on any one skill and draft for that skill, no matter how important it is.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I want to emphasize again that we have a real lack of potential everything. Goalscoring, playmaking, forechecking, backchecking, puckmoving defensemen, positional defensemen, goaltenders, everything.

We can't afford to fixate on any one skill and draft for that skill, no matter how important it is.
I do think at the Pitts pick the team will have a variety of options they can go, but if they do spend 2 (or 3) on Silayev I would prefer they prioritize offense there. Again, that's just my opinoin. I think there's gonna be a real run on D between 4-12.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
3 stand-up goalies incoming

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

If he's BPA at 14, I'd take him in a heartbeat...it just depends on who else is available.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I would consider going away ftom BPA to pick Eiserman if Eiserman had a Matthews type shot (extremely deceptive,proven in both juniors and a men's league---Swiss for Auston) or Bedard type (undeniable shot). Those types of shots can absolutely be game-changers. Eiserman does not have that type of shot. Laine did. Timo did not, for example.

Reactions: DG93
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad